I just don't buy it...

Started by quickslash, March 03, 2011, 06:44:05 PM

quickslash, I don't think you're stupid.  I think you have too much pride and you're identifying with your characters very well... the two combined means that you're getting really upset about things that your characters probably shouldn't, because you've got the sense of entitlement common to our modern world.  There isn't nearly so much of that in a setting like Armageddon.  Just take a deep breath, guy, and get used to it.  It gets better.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

Exactly, and it's one of the few things I'm /not/ trying to escape from when I go to a fantasy world.
"In a game of chess you can never let your adversary see your pieces."

Thanks semper, I don't think feco got what I was saying, but I was pointing out that from the outside, this is what new people are seeing, so maybe we can turn it down a bit to encourage new ppl to get into the game.  That's all I am saying.
Malifaxis has UBER board skills

March 04, 2011, 02:22:13 PM #103 Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 02:24:36 PM by Mooney
Quote from: Marshmellow on March 04, 2011, 12:21:29 PM
quickslash, I don't think you're stupid.  I think you have too much pride and you're identifying with your characters very well... the two combined means that you're getting really upset about things that your characters probably shouldn't, because you've got the sense of entitlement common to our modern world.  There isn't nearly so much of that in a setting like Armageddon.  Just take a deep breath, guy, and get used to it.  It gets better.
Quote from: quickslash on March 04, 2011, 01:11:43 PM
Exactly, and it's one of the few things I'm /not/ trying to escape from when I go to a fantasy world.

That seems pretty much it, all right there. It's not that you can't see how Naki NPC's/PC's could tolerate the city and its oppression. It's that you, as a player, won't accept the RP required to join this world, won't do more than just change your clothes when you step in. I actually think it has little to do with you identifying well with your chars that's prompting you to wave your Amendment, feel-good-Barney rights IG.

In which case, like some recommend, you can either tough it out, try immersing yourself in another frame of mind, maybe you'll like the roleplaying experience. Note, playing a groveling pathetic human doesn't mean you are one, it means you can weave a realistic story and character. If instead you absolutely want to escape the slightly unfair world to seek a purer merit-based world on the internet, then go forth and all the good luck to you. I mean that with absolute sincerity, because I can understand the desire.

As to those wanting things 'tuned' down to bring in new players, I respectfully protest. I am a very new player, and even only browsing the documents before leaping in, I got a very clear idea of the world I was joining and expected to help keep alive. I was further explicitly warned that I may experience unfairness both IG and as a playing experience. I was actually a little disappointed that my first char wasn't killed in a omfg-what-just-happened-fest.

To soften the game and guide players in gently when they are so clearly warned, would be like apologizing to someone with a peanut allergy complaining about how they broke out from eating peanut butter. Or, a murder novel apologizing to someone reading and complaining that there's too much death in it.

Armageddon is what it is, the GDB and in-game players are plenty helpful enough to support anybody who actually wants to join this world.

March 04, 2011, 02:34:22 PM #104 Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 02:36:35 PM by quickslash
Most of that has already been covered, as have my counter-points.

I'm sure everyone has certain types of characters they don't feel the need/desire to portray. You need to care about your character, and for me that's difficult to do while getting along in Nak/Tuluk.

But- thanks to some patient people both in and outside of these forums- I've been convinced that I may have overlooked some of Nak's better qualities.
"In a game of chess you can never let your adversary see your pieces."

Ugh, you are getting so boring and repetitive with your "I can't get over myself" attitude.  ::)

Can someone please lock this thread? It's clearly serving no purpose now, beyond advertising this guy's complete lack of desire to play in accordance with the documentation.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I wouldn't usually say this but... Ok Synthesis, whatever you want.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.