I just don't buy it...

Started by quickslash, March 03, 2011, 06:44:05 PM

Nobody would put up with the system in Allanak. They're allowed too much freedom. They can come and go as they please, hire protection, organize and conspire. The Templars are grossly outnumbered and- when it comes down to it- completely overplay their hand on an individual basis. If you're going to have people who demand that much ass-kissing and actually get away with it, you'd need the political system to be so overbearing and rigid that you wouldn't have a game.

A month of this bull and you'd have every able-bodied commoner plotting to go set up their own government in Red Storm or Luirs. Failing that they'd found their own town.

I can't help but get the feeling- no matter how many different characters who react in different ways I play- that this game is designed to gratify the upper tier of characters. I hope I don't go to far with this, but I get the feeling the people who play them were bullied a lot in school. I'm unconvinced by the gameworld and even if you can explain it (magic is the only way it's possible, the water issue could be solved) I'm still too repulsed to find it worth my time.

"In a game of chess you can never let your adversary see your pieces."

I'm not sure if this is based on something that just happened ICly or just a random thought, but if you think it makes sense for people to have issues with the system, you should look around ICly.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

lol noob
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: quickslash on March 03, 2011, 06:44:05 PM
Nobody would put up with the system in Allanak. They're allowed too much freedom. They can come and go as they please, hire protection, organize and conspire. The Templars are grossly outnumbered and- when it comes down to it- completely overplay their hand on an individual basis. If you're going to have people who demand that much ass-kissing and actually get away with it, you'd need the political system to be so overbearing and rigid that you wouldn't have a game.

A month of this bull and you'd have every able-bodied commoner plotting to go set up their own government in Red Storm or Luirs. Failing that they'd found their own town.

I can't help but get the feeling- no matter how many different characters who react in different ways I play- that this game is designed to gratify the upper tier of characters. I hope I don't go to far with this, but I get the feeling the people who play them were bullied a lot in school. I'm unconvinced by the gameworld and even if you can explain it (magic is the only way it's possible, the water issue could be solved) I'm still too repulsed to find it worth my time.

No one will set up government in Luir's or Red Storm. Luir's is wholly owned by House Kurac. It is their personal property and they are the one and only government. You can't even rent an apartment there, let alone set up a Town Hall. Red Storm is owned and operated by the Sandlord. The Sandlord owns and operates the granaries, which provides flour to feed most of the known world. You don't wanna piss off the Sandlord.

As far as Allanak goes, you're only considering the PC population. There are NPCs and VNPCs of various ranks. There are Red Robes who are around, and there have been PC Red Robes at varying points of the game's history. The Reds answer to the Blacks. The Blacks answer to Tektolnes, who is the Sorcerer-King of Allanak, and whose last-known incarnation is depicted by that enormous steel dragon outside the western gate. The entire city is walled in, and its citizens are intentionally oppressed, and kept illiterate, its mages collared, and its richest nobility kept on tight political leashes.

This is how Allanak IS. It is also how Luir's IS, and how Red Storm IS. There is nothing preventing you from playing something other than a Nakki citizen; in fact, I personally recommend it. There are a few tribes still open for play, there is a whole other city with a whole different culture and political structure. You -can- start up in Luir's, you -can- start up in Red Storm. You can even start in Allanak, just to have a place to start, and then make your way to Cenyr, or roll up a ranger, buy a tent in Luir's, and create your character's persona and lifestyle based on his existence as an unclanned independent who can quit out almost anywhere in the game, and therefore isn't relegated to returning to city walls, ever, for any reason at all.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: HavokBlue on March 03, 2011, 07:00:08 PM
I'm not sure if this is based on something that just happened ICly or just a random thought, but if you think it makes sense for people to have issues with the system, you should look around ICly.

I do, and the same people who should be pissed off and scheming are their most loyal fans.

I'm not a newb, I've been playing this game for a long while on and off. My characters keep getting owned by Templars because I refuse to play someone who would give his undying loyalty to several different petty factions who do nothing for him but ask him to kiss their ass and act like fifth graders with power.

I can sense and predict that my post will cleverly mocked and cast aside, which is to be expected. It's true, though, and it needed to be said.

March 03, 2011, 07:09:39 PM #5 Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 07:15:37 PM by quickslash
I've played elsewhere. I have odd hours and even if I manage to be one during peak time, there is NO consistent RP to be found. I don't want to hear for the dozenth time that there is if I look, because that is just not true.

Edit: And for the record, all that happened this time was I got arrested for a /barely/ irreverent statement or two in response to several direct and unsolicited insults. I was just hoping to find a dynamic and creative character instead of one just salivating with anticipation for the moment my character crossed the [blurry] line.

The PC population does not represent the incredibly large virtual population. We as 'adventurer' types seem to be a little more liberal than your average salt-hauling bent-back laborer who work for 3 'sid a day.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

You should also keep in mind the division between the player and the character. If someone is mean to you, it's probably the character being mean to you, not the player. Lots of characters in Armageddon are mean. It's a harsh game. The system in Allanak IS set up to cater to the nobility and the Templarate and the Highlord.

If you have a problem with the way something works IC, try to change it IC.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Outnumbered.

Heh.  Hehehe.

That said...

People do get fed up with the Allanaki government.  As you suggested, often they leave the city.  Sometimes they go to the 'rinth.  Sometimes they strike back.  Sometimes they organize a larger resistance.  I'm not going to tell you the result of these actions (because it would probably be inappropriate information to discuss), but you may be able to find out in-game.

Also Luirs and Red Storm do have their own governments.  They're not ruled by Allanak.

Yeah, go hang out in the desert or the 'rinth.  I guarantee the "authorities" there will make whatever Lord Templar Meanie-head did to you look like time-out.

Maybe I haven't said this clearly:

This game is not playable unless you're willing to play a character who will stand around and take shit from a Templar (or you already have karma points).

ICly people like that could exist, but a new character cannot be such a person and still find more than an hour's RP a week. Don't tell me I'm wrong, I know from several attempts.

I'd like to point out that certain authorities in Allanak have historically shown powers mighty enough to destroy entire city blocks. Easily. Without showing any effort.

Templars ain't the equivalent of the po-po, they're a whole different kind of creature.

Quote from: Synthesis on March 03, 2011, 07:13:25 PM
Yeah, go hang out in the desert or the 'rinth.  I guarantee the "authorities" there will make whatever Lord Templar Meanie-head did to you look like time-out.

Thanks, jackass.

Quote from: HavokBlue on March 03, 2011, 07:12:09 PM
You should also keep in mind the division between the player and the character. If someone is mean to you, it's probably the character being mean to you, not the player. Lots of characters in Armageddon are mean. It's a harsh game. The system in Allanak IS set up to cater to the nobility and the Templarate and the Highlord.

If you have a problem with the way something works IC, try to change it IC.

I've already covered every one of those points.

Also, quickslash, I generally find templars (unless bored, let's be honest, you'd do the same) will deign to not notice you if you act like you are trying to avoid their ire. If you provoke them, the player usually takes this as a signal you want to be fucked with. Staff hire people on as templars because they've shown the capability and maturity to handle the responsibility.

I'm gonna go ahead and tell you you are wrong.

I'm not sure what it is you're doing with your characters, but what you're saying doesn't reflect any experience I've ever had in my ten or eleven months of playing.

On top of that, it is entirely possible to challenge the IC status quo and play just fine. Maybe you aren't being smart about it, or should try a different approach with your next character?

One thing I've always refused to do is ignore/avoid them. I just play my character. Every single time I've just acted like a self-respecting person. Only the very first time did I even deliberately escalate aggression.

I could play a believable well-rounded character who wouldn't get in trouble with the authorities. I just don't want to. And it seems that the only people who make it here do. That's what drives me a way. It's not a challenge, it's be a coward or gtfo. I'm choosing option two.

Most people don't have the luxury of being self-respecting on Zalanthas, PCs included.

I honestly wish I could list the reasons why you're wrong, but since we can't get into IC detail, the least you could do is read the rumor boards in-game.

See ya.

Quote from: quickslash on March 03, 2011, 07:18:50 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on March 03, 2011, 07:13:25 PM

Thanks, jackass.

Hey, you're the one telling us our game-world is worthless.

You don't have to 'sit there and take shit' from templars. Evade, politick, outmaneuver, lie, scheme, entrap, or just be more powerful. Yes, the templar has the initial advantage, but common mundane PCs do beat the templars at times. Maybe you just need to step your game up. Alternatively, play someone who isn't directly subject to templarate authority, like a rinthi or a tribal. But what you definitely shouldn't do is tell us we suck because you keep losing in conflicts with templars.

You might be interested in Tuluk as a city environment then. Allanak's authority is displayed through overt representations of gross misuse of power. They are powerful, they control life and death, and they need to regularly remind people of this to keep their hold on the populace. That's the environment. If you play in Allanak, that's what to expect.

Quote from: HavokBlue on March 03, 2011, 07:22:29 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and tell you you are wrong.

I'm not sure what it is you're doing with your characters, but what you're saying doesn't reflect any experience I've ever had in my ten or eleven months of playing.

On top of that, it is entirely possible to challenge the IC status quo and play just fine. Maybe you aren't being smart about it, or should try a different approach with your next character?

This recent encounter was, standing alone, the least frustrating I've had. But it was just the final straw that tells me I'm not the kind of person who can tolerate this game.

Also, I should probably point out that unless you played during Ihsahn's reign of terror, you have no idea what a mean templar is like.  That guy was a certified Collector of Noob Souls.

Quote from: Synthesis on March 03, 2011, 07:27:35 PM
Most people don't have the luxury of being self-respecting on Zalanthas, PCs included.

Which is the only concession I'm looking for.

And for everyone else-- I realize it could be possible. But I think even if I played my cards perfectly I'd probably still come out the worse, and in the end I just don't think it's worth it.

Maybe I'll cool down and deal with this shit since I've got a roll with other Players, but if so after this one I'm done.

Perhaps you should stop posting and delete your gdb account.

You failed at playing the game, now you're failing to play the gdb.

Could staff lock this or delete it or something? It's nothing more than flame-bait.
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.