Author Topic: Shit you want Synthesis to explain scientifically.  (Read 41741 times)

Delirium

• Helper
Re: Shit you want Synthesis to explain scientifically.
« Reply #500 on: June 24, 2011, 03:28:23 PM »
What sleeping pattern allows you the greatest amount of time awake without suffering too much for it?

Probably highly individual but I'd also love to hear some pointers.

In other words: how much can I sacrifice sleep to play armageddon AND do everything else?
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick

Kismetic

« Reply #501 on: June 24, 2011, 03:30:06 PM »
A new caveat should be that synth only answers while drunk.

I'm all for upping the ante, but maybe we should just let drunken Ghost paraphrase Synthesis' answers.
"Well, Gary, if that even is your real name ...  somebody stole my computer.  Now, if you're a criminal--  Look at me! ... You have to tell me, legally, or else it's considered entrapment."  -- Andy Dwyer

Saellyn

« Reply #502 on: June 24, 2011, 03:35:58 PM »
Who was more powerful Luke or Anakin?

Anakin was conceived by the force, duder.  I think the question you want to ask is:  WTF is a miticlorian?

Anakin was created by Darth Plagueus, actually, so technically he was the "father", not the Force. Sith Alchemy does a lot of interesting things.

However, I would say Anakin was the more powerful of the two, simply because Luke was conceived by Anakin and a not-so-Force-sensitive Padme.

Bacon

« Reply #503 on: June 24, 2011, 03:41:19 PM »

Anakin was conceived by the force, duder.  I think the question you want to ask is:  WTF is a miticlorian?

Anakin was created by Darth Plagueus, actually, so technically he was the "father", not the Force. Sith Alchemy does a lot of interesting things.

However, I would say Anakin was the more powerful of the two, simply because Luke was conceived by Anakin and a not-so-Force-sensitive Padme.

Luke is far more powerful than Anakin for a few reasons. If you read the books, there is no contest between the two. For one, Anakin lost most of his potential in the force when he became Darth Vader and became mostly machine. The only artificial part Luke has is one of his hands. Secondly, in the books Luke went on to learn all sorts of force powers that likely Anakin never even heard of.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
 ~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Saellyn

« Reply #504 on: June 24, 2011, 04:49:31 PM »

Luke is far more powerful than Anakin for a few reasons. If you read the books, there is no contest between the two. For one, Anakin lost most of his potential in the force when he became Darth Vader and became mostly machine. The only artificial part Luke has is one of his hands. Secondly, in the books Luke went on to learn all sorts of force powers that likely Anakin never even heard of.

... Luke never created his own Force technique, first of all, second of all knowing a whole bunch of Force powers doesn't make you powerful. You realize Vader has access, through Palpatine, to some of the most insidious Force techniques that the Sith cult had access to, right? And that in terms of raw power, Anakin Skywalker was considerably more powerful than Luke? He didn't even lose his power when he became Darth Vader, if anything it -grew- right up until he got some body parts eviscerated.

Kismetic

« Reply #505 on: June 24, 2011, 04:52:38 PM »
Anakin, died, too, and became more powerful than you can imagine.  He was standing, right there, with Obi-Wan and Yoda (ok, but I lost the version where it's not that annoying Hayden kid in my divorce)!
"Well, Gary, if that even is your real name ...  somebody stole my computer.  Now, if you're a criminal--  Look at me! ... You have to tell me, legally, or else it's considered entrapment."  -- Andy Dwyer

Bacon

« Reply #506 on: June 24, 2011, 04:56:50 PM »
His capability in the force was capped off when he had most of his body replaced with artificial implants. Vader was never going to be able to reach master level in the force. It's in the books. Had he not had his body destroyed he would have been -capable- of becoming more powerful than the emperor and as powerful as Luke is at this point in the stories. Luke actually creates a few force techniques in the books as well. Anakin, at his most powerful wasn't as close to as powerful as Luke is, it is also supported by the books. It is also known that Luke has been powerful enough to return beyond death through the force if he chooses for a long time in his life now. Don't get me wrong, I like Vader too but the books support Luke being more powerful at this point in his life, in every way, in comparison to his father. And he's still alive and gaining in power. You don't have to like it but the books say how it is.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 05:01:10 PM by Bacon »
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
 ~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Synthesis

« Reply #507 on: June 24, 2011, 05:01:48 PM »

wtf is this shit
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Kismetic

« Reply #508 on: June 24, 2011, 05:02:32 PM »
I haven't read any of those books since KJA ruined the franchise (imho).  I always liked the comics, though ...  it's hard to say what's what with all of the errata.  And believe me, after what George Lucas has done to some of my childhood favorites, I could give a rat's ass what he puts his "stamp" to.

Btw, this is Synthesis' science thread, not who has the bigger symbiote.  ;)

Kismetic

« Reply #509 on: June 24, 2011, 05:02:54 PM »

wtf is this shit

Beat me to it.  :P

Kismetic

« Reply #510 on: June 24, 2011, 05:04:37 PM »
Dear Synth,

Why do hair and nails grow after death?  I can't recall if that's been asked, but I'm curious.

Bacon

« Reply #511 on: June 24, 2011, 05:07:04 PM »

wtf is this shit

wtf is this shit?
 ~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis

Synthesis

« Reply #512 on: June 24, 2011, 05:18:16 PM »
Dear Synth,

Why do hair and nails grow after death?  I can't recall if that's been asked, but I'm curious.

Wow, that one's easy:  they don't.

Kismetic

« Reply #513 on: June 24, 2011, 05:51:22 PM »
Dear Synth,

Wow, that one's easy:  they don't.

A complete myth!  Ha.  But why does it appear that way, then?

Nao

« Reply #514 on: June 24, 2011, 06:35:38 PM »
Your skin and fingers shrink and expose more of the nail. Same with hair, although that's probably just noticable when the hair is really short.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Barzalene

« Reply #515 on: June 28, 2011, 07:20:05 AM »
What is String Theory?

Can you explain it slow and simple so we (I) can all understand?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Synthesis

« Reply #516 on: June 28, 2011, 09:13:49 PM »

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #517 on: June 29, 2011, 09:54:36 PM »
Can you explain why we see at a "frame-rate", when our eyes and brain take in and process light at a constant rate. Why do colors, or pictures blend together when flashed at high speeds?

Nao

« Reply #518 on: June 30, 2011, 05:35:52 AM »
Most of the diet advice these days seems to be about avoiding obesity. I don't put on weight very well. If I stuck to low-carb, low-fat all the time, I'd probably starve in the end (or spend a lot more time eating). I still don't want to die from a heart attack before I'm 50 (seems to run in the family for me). So what would be a healthy diet if you scrap all the weight issues?
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

boog

« Reply #519 on: June 30, 2011, 11:01:47 AM »
Most of the diet advice these days seems to be about avoiding obesity. I don't put on weight very well. If I stuck to low-carb, low-fat all the time, I'd probably starve in the end (or spend a lot more time eating). I still don't want to die from a heart attack before I'm 50 (seems to run in the family for me). So what would be a healthy diet if you scrap all the weight issues?

Not to steal Synth's thunder here, but my mother is a dietitian and I could ask her if you'd like! Just shoot me a PM with your favorite foods and this little tidbit if you want, and I'll ask her on FB, since I'm not sure if I'm gonna see her tonight or tomorrow.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Yam

« Reply #520 on: June 30, 2011, 02:02:18 PM »

High fat diets aren't bad for your heart if you aren't eating trans fats and you aren't fat.

Anaiah

• Legend
« Reply #521 on: June 30, 2011, 02:59:26 PM »
Well, RGS, that's actually one entire type of memory used of the three (sensory, vs short or long term). While you might take in light constantly, your eyes don't actually process motion. They take flashframe images of things going on, and sensory memory strings them together into the perception of a constant, moving world, where in reality it's a series of snapshots.

[At least, that's what one learns in psychology class.]
NOFUN:
Random Armageddon.thoughts: fuck dwarves, fuck magickers, fuck f-me's, fuck city elves and nerf everything I don't use
Maxid:
My position is unassailable.
Gunnerblaster:
My breeds discriminate against other breeds.

That's how hardcore I am.

Synthesis

« Reply #522 on: July 01, 2011, 08:39:08 PM »
If you're talking about single neurons, then clearly there's a sort of "frame rate," i.e. the absolute refractory period post-action potential.  However, unless every neuron in your visual system is synchronized, that single-neuron ARP is meaningless in terms of your entire visual field.  (This frame rate would also be exceptionally high...on the order of 300 frames per second, since the ARP of a typical neuron is around 3ms.

The short answer is:  we don't see at "frame rates."

The truth of the matter is much more complicated, and it can only be framed in terms of what sorts of stimuli we can effectively resolve.  This varies quite a bit by image type.  For instance, we can resolve images with very sharp edges at very high effective "frame rates" (i.e. we are no longer able to resolve the images as distinct at a measurable presentation frame rate); images with indistinct or blurry edges, less so.  The exact details haven't exactly been hashed out yet, though.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #523 on: July 03, 2011, 12:51:27 AM »
Dear Dr. S,

How come muscle aches don't come until a day or so after the strain/workout/whatever that causes them?

Synthesis

« Reply #524 on: July 03, 2011, 01:15:01 AM »
Dear Dr. S,

How come muscle aches don't come until a day or so after the strain/workout/whatever that causes them?

Believe it or not, nobody knows why that happens.  There are a bunch of theories (lactic acid, free radicals, microtrauma, etc.), but nothing definitive.