Author Topic: The Official MMA Thread  (Read 54111 times)

RogueGunslinger

Re: The Official MMA Thread
« Reply #725 on: January 01, 2017, 09:51:39 PM »
I mean, if you can get away with pulling dance moves while in middle of the gritty ass fight without getting knocked unconscious, and then going on to secure the win, it's totally awesome in my book. It gives people character and makes them more interesting than your typical fighter.

That said its very dependent on the fighter for me. I don't like when McCregor does it. I love when Diaz does it. And I'm always a bigger fan of respectful, kind fighters, like Daniel Cormier, or Stipe Miocic.

boog

« Reply #726 on: January 02, 2017, 07:06:36 PM »
I love respectful fighters. But maybe that's because I took martial arts and was taught always to respect my opponent.

I was literally so mad about Dom losing. So. Fucking. Mad. Since Big Nog's gone, I've needed someone to make my heart melt when I watch them fight.

ALAS. WHO THE FUCK IS GONNA DO THAT FOR ME NOW? I HAVE A REALLY SPECIFIC SET OF CRITERIA.

...Oh, right. Nunes. I have a crush on Amanda Nunes. And fuck everyone saying she's not marketable because she's boyish looking and a lesbian. Fuck them in their shit holes.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

boog

« Reply #727 on: February 21, 2017, 09:54:57 PM »
Do I brave UFC 209 with the kids at B-Dubs? They were so good last time, except littlest boogy wanted to go into the ladies' bathroom so he could watch himself sing in the full length mirror a little too often.

Suga's fighting. I'm more interested in that than maybe even the main event.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #728 on: February 22, 2017, 01:01:52 AM »
Can you post the dates and matches? So lazy to google....

I do want to see the Woodley/Thompson rematch. That was such a great first fight. It was the last UFC I've seen, actually.
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

deskoft

« Reply #729 on: February 22, 2017, 08:19:12 AM »
I'm hopeful that 209 will be won by Wonder Boy Thompson. While Woodley has a crazily wicked sense of space and range and has that punch that can smoke you out in one, I think that Thompson is overall a better fighter. If his hips weren't so damn tall he would probably be a great jiu-jitsu practitioneer. What a great match it was. I think that if Thompson marks his distance and is very elusive (moving a LOT to avoid that one big punch that rocked him) he will do great. Avoid high kicks, destroy the leg. The good Renan Barao tactic against Urijah Faber, known wrestler. The difference is that this guy can punch so just move a lot.

boog

« Reply #730 on: February 22, 2017, 11:06:38 AM »
Can you post the dates and matches? So lazy to google....

I do want to see the Woodley/Thompson rematch. That was such a great first fight. It was the last UFC I've seen, actually.

03/04/17

« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 07:48:22 PM by boog »
There is only one boog.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #731 on: February 22, 2017, 04:39:08 PM »
I can't freaking wait. This is a stacked card.

Real curious to see how Lando Vanatta does, he looked sharp Vs Ferguson. I think Ferguson vs Khabib is going to be an amazing fight. Can go either way but I'm hoping for a Khabib win.

Hunt Vs Reem is just awesome but I fear for Hunt.

I'm actually least excited for the Main event. I don't think Wonderboy has anything for Woodley. It'll go much the same as the first or possibly worse.

boog

« Reply #732 on: February 22, 2017, 04:47:20 PM »
I've got Wonderboy for this.

Eagle, Evans, Reem. I gotta look more closely into the others when I'm at a computer.
There is only one boog.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #733 on: February 22, 2017, 05:02:52 PM »
Eagle, Evans, Reem, Woodley, Vanata for me. Going with Vanata because I don't know the other guy and he looked good against El Cucuy.

boog

« Reply #734 on: March 05, 2017, 01:00:52 AM »
eh

prelims were better
There is only one boog.

deskoft

« Reply #735 on: March 05, 2017, 06:33:41 PM »
The prelims were sick! The main fight was... IDK. I'd like to say I enjoyed the tactical sense of it. I did not. What a monster that Darren Elkins is.

boog

« Reply #736 on: March 05, 2017, 06:59:45 PM »
Yep. I fell asleep multiple times during the main fight. Hah.

I was sad about Rashad, but Dan's a good fighter! I thought Rashad would be quicker than he was. I guess he's getting up there.
There is only one boog.

deskoft

« Reply #737 on: March 05, 2017, 07:51:14 PM »
I mean, there was a tiny part of me that was a little bit irritated at the time that the corner of Woodley was literally shouting at him "go, you cannot keep putting your back against the fence" and the first thing he did when Stephen changed of stance was put his back against the cage. So at the time I was really focused on hoping Tyron lost on points, but then I reflected that if Thompson's title fight had been won through that method, it would've been pretty lame for him too.

I'm just sad that after the Vannata fight, the main event couldn't live to the expectation, considering Ferguson-Khabib's drop-down.

Also, man, those Dan takedowns were crazy. He's got skills. I expected him to win. The best memory I have of that event is still Darren Elkins absolutely battered up standing up after KOing stiff a super younger opponent that had been mauling him for the entirety of the fight, shouting like Chuck Lidell.

I thought the event was going to go down as another underrated good card. Alas.

boog

« Reply #738 on: March 05, 2017, 09:06:33 PM »
When you fight out of Portage, Indiana, you almost have to be good. There's nothing else there. Northwest Indiana is a fucking cesspool.

I was super surprised at his performance. I'm trying to think of who else rocked, but um, I go right back to the prelims. The main card was meh. Poor Hunt.
There is only one boog.

deskoft

« Reply #739 on: March 05, 2017, 11:45:17 PM »
I really really enjoyed the co-main event. I mean, Vannata's style wasn't the most intelligent, but he's such a showman! After that, I guess it was really all... meh. I'm kind of perked up for this weekend's fight night though. I like Belfort and Gastellum.

boog

« Reply #740 on: March 06, 2017, 01:04:43 AM »
I hope Gastellum makes weight. Heh.
There is only one boog.

deskoft

« Reply #741 on: March 06, 2017, 01:41:01 AM »
LOL. There's a chance the main event of that fight will crumble.

Aruven

« Reply #742 on: March 08, 2017, 02:08:17 AM »
I went to Las Vegas and watched UFC 209 --> Super good time, I can't believe people are saying (LIKE DANA WHITE) Thompson deserved the belt?

---> BISPING VS GSP <---------

Tuannon

« Reply #743 on: March 08, 2017, 04:08:37 AM »
I'd like to see Mark Hunt beat Overeem, but I don't think he's much change from 50 years old. So chances are not great.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #744 on: March 08, 2017, 08:33:18 AM »
Overeem knocked him smooth out. I like Hunt but he was focused too much on bitching at the UFC. I agree with him,but focus yo.

211 is going to be good.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

boog

« Reply #745 on: March 08, 2017, 12:14:20 PM »
211 is going to be good.

Yes. My boyfriend for the title. Ahhh, Junior.  :-[ :-[ :-[
There is only one boog.

deskoft

« Reply #746 on: March 09, 2017, 11:46:02 AM »
I'm one of those guys who thinks that Thompson won. In the old rules, the control of the octagon was considered (paraphrasing Woodley, literally) as actively pressing. In that regard, Thompson did 'much more' than the champ. That said, I lost a lot of love for Wonderboy, sadly, but I understand why he did what he did. And if he had won, it wouldn't have been the best start for his reign. Woodley did beat the shit out of him in one single round.

So cool that you were there, Aruven!

And OMG 211 is so exciting so far and the card's not even full yet.

boog

« Reply #747 on: March 12, 2017, 11:10:56 AM »
Edson is a god. I remember watching his first UFC fight and knowing right away that he was something special. I'm proud he's going far!

and lol, who didn't see Vitor's KO coming?

Alright, guys. Who's gonna pop for shady drugs post fight event? Anyone? Anyone?
There is only one boog.

boog

« Reply #748 on: April 08, 2017, 05:35:38 PM »
Bloop.

Picks, lovelies?
There is only one boog.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #749 on: April 08, 2017, 11:25:04 PM »
Oh shit I forgot this was today.

I pick Mousasi and DC, since those fights are still left.

Edit: Huh. Weird night.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 12:53:21 AM by RogueGunslinger »