Author Topic: The Official MMA Thread  (Read 41952 times)

Synthesis

Re: The Official MMA Thread
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2010, 11:00:12 PM »
I just can't imagine Okami beating Silva in any way.  He's tough, but his technique doesn't seem sharp enough.

For tomorrow:  GAWD, I hope hating Matt Hughes is enough to get B.J. Penn off his lazy fucking ass and TRAIN for once.  And for Christ's sake, can you please do some fucking jiu-jitsu?  They don't call you "the prodigy" for your fucking slightly-above-average boxing skills.

My predictions:
Tyson Griffin wins by decision
Karo Parisyan wins by decision
Aaron Simpson wins by second round ground and pound
Brian Foster wins by submission because Matt Brown is such a sucker for losing by sub
Sotiropoulos wins by submission after he overpowers Lauzon...probably rear naked choke  (I like Lauzon, but Sotiropoulos is a stud)
Penn wins by decision after three rounds of shitty stand-up, because Hughes doesn't trust his ground game anymore and Penn certainly isn't going to press the issue, because anyone can box better than Matt Hughes (except Renzo Gracie, apparently)
Machida wins by decision after three rounds of being really evasive, but landing better shots from outside while working Rampage over with leg-kicks
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

boog

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2010, 11:37:14 PM »
Parisyan being back in the UFC ... god. I don't even know.

I pick ...

Griffin ... hm. Decision.
Parisyan by a boring ass decision victory since his thigh is too fucked up for his judo to be a factor anymore. Parisyan looked like shit. No way. I'm going with the other guy.
Muņoz on the prelim.
AND I LIKE MATT BROWN THEREFORE I AM ROOTING FOR HIM.
Sotiropoulos via submission.
Hughes even though I like Penn much better.
Machida via TKO.

I'm hoping some of these lightweights will drop to lower weight classes with the upcoming merger. This is where I think Griffin might exceed, for instance.

I'm thinking Boetsch will lose by like, self TKO Haha. At least he fights exciting fights.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 01:24:52 AM by boog »
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Synthesis

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2010, 02:37:28 AM »
Ha, that reminds me of that fight where Gray Maynard slammed that dude so hard he knocked -himself- out, but the other dude tapped at the same time because it hurt so bad.  Most epic fight ending since that double-knockout in King of the Cage.

Is Friday

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2010, 09:54:56 AM »
Are you telling me that Maynard did something exciting? You mean he doesn't just barely pull off lame ass split decisions?
Quote from: shadowspeak discord
did you just meet a ridiculously unfuckable psychotic female character? It's 75% likely that Is_Friday is playing it! unfuckable, unwantable, unloveable, poorly played, stereotype-driven, abusive, and shallow!

boog

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2010, 03:24:49 PM »
Are you telling me that Maynard did something exciting? You mean he doesn't just barely pull off lame ass split decisions?

hahaaa <3

I'm sort of excited for his and Frankie's fight.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

Is Friday

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2010, 01:11:43 AM »
NON SPOILER COMMENTS:

Damn, the BJ Penn / Hughes fight was nuts.

The Rampage/Machida fight was crazy, too. I can't blame the judges on the decision, though--one of those fighters didn't do shit for the first two rounds.
did you just meet a ridiculously unfuckable psychotic female character? It's 75% likely that Is_Friday is playing it! unfuckable, unwantable, unloveable, poorly played, stereotype-driven, abusive, and shallow!

Is Friday

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2010, 02:08:37 AM »
They're talking BJ Penn v Jon Fitch right now--since Penn is at welterweight now.

boog

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2010, 02:59:40 AM »
They're talking BJ Penn v Jon Fitch right now--since Penn is at welterweight now.

Fiiiiitch
There is only one boog.

boog

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2010, 01:44:21 PM »
Dude.

Just.

Dude. That is so ridiculous.
There is only one boog.

Is Friday

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
Dude.

Just.

Dude. That is so ridiculous.
You can be more vague.

boog

« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2010, 04:33:05 PM »
I didn't want to spoil it, but that decision. Whew.
There is only one boog.

Synthesis

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2010, 04:35:16 PM »
Man, I'm going to have to re-watch it.  I ended up drunken rambling at Bogre the entire time.

Is Friday

« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2010, 12:04:05 AM »

You cannot be unamazed by this Van Damme moment in MMA.

Fnord

• An introduction to qabalah
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2010, 12:51:17 PM »

You cannot be unamazed by this Van Damme moment in MMA.

Hah, was jut about to post this. Whapeeeeesh!
Amor Fati

boog

« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2010, 09:47:42 PM »
Am I the only person who thinks the WEC lightweights are better than the UFC's?
There is only one boog.

Is Friday

« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2010, 10:03:18 PM »
Am I the only person who thinks the WEC lightweights are better than the UFC's?
We shall see very soon.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2010, 11:25:11 AM »
I just watched the K1 Grand Prix. Overeem is a fucking monster. A barbarian raider out of a nightmare. I'd love to see him fight Lesnar or Velasquez or any of the -top- Heavyweights right now. Strikeforce has a goldmine there and they need to take advantage rather than let him run hog ass wild in Dream and K1.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Is Friday

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2010, 11:32:02 AM »
I just watched the K1 Grand Prix. Overeem is a fucking monster. A barbarian raider out of a nightmare. I'd love to see him fight Lesnar or Velasquez or any of the -top- Heavyweights right now. Strikeforce has a goldmine there and they need to take advantage rather than let him run hog ass wild in Dream and K1.
He's the Strikeforce Heavyweight Champ. He's unlikely to get bought out anytime soon. (Although, Shields was--but he had an invested interest in switching over. I don't think OVereem does.)

WarriorPoet

« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2010, 11:49:55 AM »
He's the SF champ, but when was the last big fight he had? Rogers? In that time he's smashed Dream apart, won the Grand Prix, and become a bigger name than ever. They're talking about him fighting on the New Year's Strikeforce card, but against who I dunno (haven't looked). No matter who it is, though, it's going to be against an inferior stock unless it's Fedor, SF's only other Heavyweight big-dick. Strikeforce should keep him locked down, no doubt, but they need to bring in some talent for him to beat up otherwise they're just pissing away a hell of a fighter in what is obviously his prime.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Is Friday

« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2011, 02:02:26 PM »
Captain Stann pummeled the shit out of Leben. :)

Kismetic

« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2011, 02:13:56 PM »
Captain Stann pummeled the shit out of Leben. :)

That one was alright.  Maynard blew it, wtf is a draw man!
"Well, Gary, if that even is your real name ...  somebody stole my computer.  Now, if you're a criminal--  Look at me! ... You have to tell me, legally, or else it's considered entrapment."  -- Andy Dwyer

boog

« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2011, 12:28:16 AM »
Man, reading the comments on the UFC Facebook page disgusts me. Everyone's busy tossing racial slurs at Anderson Silva. It's really sad to see what jealousy does to people, I guess, huh?

That being said, my picks for tomorrow night are:

Silva v. Belfort - Silva. Belfort either comes to kill or sucks. I hope it's the former for a good fight, but I think Silva's uncanny and sort of 'bred' natural ability is going to win out here, especially if it gets past rounds one or two. :)
Jones v. Bader - I've never really like Bader. I don't know why. I know this'll be a good fight - I hope Jon Jones pulls off another awkward looking throw or something ridiculous. I'm going with Jones. (Also, racial slurs about Jones on the Facebook page too. I just don't get it! Then I got called mean names for asking them to be more intelligent. I giggled, at least.)
Franklin v. Griffin - I like Forrest. He has a little more heart. That being said, Rich has been a beeeast in his last few fights (knocking Chuck out with a broken hand!?), so I'm sure this'll be a goodie, too.

There are more fights. I'd post, but my fingers are cold.
There is only one boog.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2011, 01:04:52 AM »
What the fuck was the mask at the weigh ins? Silva is such a douche.

Vitor is tough but I don't think he's bringing his sword this time.

I'm stoked for Jones to win and then see where he goes next. Of all the up and comers, I've been following him the most avidly over the past year.

I'm torn to pick between Rich or Forrest. They're both personal favorites. I'll say Rich wins with late ko or decision unless Griffin gets beat on a little bit and remembers through the fog that he's a muthafuckin' gangster, but it hasn't happened in awhile.

boog

« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2011, 02:06:06 AM »
He wasn't um, being a douche. It was a play on words. Vitor said, "Anderson hides behind a mask of talking shit about people", and so, Anderson wore a mask to weigh-ins. ;)

I've honestly never heard smack talk from his mouth, but there again, I don't speak Brasilian Portuguese fluently. I know how to say like, 5 things. :/
There is only one boog.

Fnord

• An introduction to qabalah
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2011, 11:04:59 AM »
Man, reading the comments on the UFC Facebook page disgusts me. Everyone's busy tossing racial slurs at Anderson Silva. It's really sad to see what jealousy does to people, I guess, huh?

UFC's Facebook and the UG are wretched hives of scum and villainy. Heh, the GDB on its very worst day would be a shining beacon of civility on those site's very best day.

That said, UFC party at our place tonight. Go Vitor!
Amor Fati