>Line too long. Truncated to: Yer mudsex fails.

Started by bartenderer, October 21, 2010, 05:47:37 AM

Mudsexing with a line length cap hurts the children.
Quote from: Mooney on April 01, 2011, 04:16:28 PM
The worldly burden of defecation is something I go online to escape.

So don't mudsex.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

It's not the size of the emote, it's the motion of the ocean. 200 characters is big enough for her.

On a more serious note, the current limit allows for pretty huge emotes. If it helps, try not to, uh, cram so many actions into one emote.

That's what she said.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

this is demotivational worthy...
Czar of City Elves.

Ok. Look.
I get that you don't like my fancy combat emotes and you want my tavern emotes to be short and to the point. But I'm going to tell you right now, if I can't get poetic during the sex scenes I'm not going to bother. That's it. You can do that shit alone. Fuck you! Hmmph.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: bartenderer on October 21, 2010, 05:47:37 AM

You don't get to complain about this until you can, from memory, tell me how and when to use each emote symbol.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

fancy emoter here, here to say that the character cap is more than enough, and is really quite amazing considering arma is built off of an ancient ass diku platform.

I'm fine with the emote length, but it frustrates the hell out of me when it happens with dialogue.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Extra karma to the first player I see actually using the word "truncated" in an emote during a mudsex scene in game.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Quote from: Talia on October 21, 2010, 11:21:45 AM
Extra karma to the first player I see actually using the word "truncated" in an emote during a mudsex scene in game.

This still valid?
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

I'm sure what you're doing during the five minute pause between poetic emotes is counting your character limit and making sure it doesn't go over. 

This is what I want to believe.  Leave me alone.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Maybe it's not several actions in one emote... maybe it's the detail going into a single action meant to inspire your partner who has never seen that "Line too long.." because he's a perpetual one liner, to get the hint and "emote climaxes" already?

That being said, I'm a detailed emoter and I hardly see this.  Maybe that's because I've had six years to get used to knowing where the limit is with just a single look.
After knocking back a mouthful of the contents of a full shot-glass, toking away on a rolled joint directly afterwards you say in desert-accented sirihish:
"They call me Tuber, and my son is Tuber-tot."

Quote from: Attana on October 21, 2010, 01:24:26 PM
Maybe it's not several actions in one emote... maybe it's the detail going into a single action meant to inspire your partner who has never seen that "Line too long.." because he's a perpetual one liner, to get the hint and "emote climaxes" already?

With huffy frustration, sitting up and adjusting his brown military aba with a sharp jerk before tossing his long mane of fabulous hair,
the tall, muscular man exclaims to the dusky, sturdy man, in southern-accented sirihish:
     "Krath, Malik, do it already, it's almost time fer trainin'!"

Plaintively, the dusky, sturdy man says to the tall, muscular man, in southern-accented sirihish:
     "I cain't help it, Amos, I rolled an AI endurance this time."
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Well I should state that I my background is from BDSM-theme MUSHes such as ROP and Akashat. I am adjusting to the char-cap slowly when it comes to emotes. Interesting note is that non-mudsex emotes rarely get the ling too long prompt. >.>

Um, let's see what was I gonna say?

Oh! The dialogue truncation is the easiest to fix.  Just say (coughing slightly, he finishes) ... tied her to a post!

But I feel that dialogue being truncated is very nice actually. I feel that if you have typed enough dialogue to the point that you are being cut off you have perhaps typed to much. Otherwise I feel you are assuming that your character can speak quite a bit without being cut off.

Hell, even if I am telling a story, and the bulk of other PC's will just emote a nod or listening attentively, I still try and keep each say at about a sentence, or maybe a sentence and a half. I try to consider how speaking in RL works, you say something, wait for a response, continue.

Emoting on the other hand, I will always want more space. But oh wells.

Just know where you are at. Mushclient gives me two full  buffers of text almost exactly.

I love our character limit. It saves me from having to read through 3 full lines describing somone's visage or trusses
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I don't consider myself a fancy emoter but I hit the cap often enough that I have strategies to rebuild a second emote off the truncated one  :-\

Not sure why it isn't longer being quite easy to make very long.

When I hit the "line too long" cut off bit on emotes, I usually start the second emote off with like: emote And fuck you, too, Ginka, but @ was blah blah blahing.

That's what you meant by a "strategy to rebuild" right?
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

It is pretty simple.  Use proper grammar.  Don't try to do multiple sentences in a single emote.  One emote, one sentence.

If you follow these two things, you should rarely hit the limit.

If you still do, then limit your emotes to describing one action, rather than trying to describe a series of actions in one emote.  This helps get away from power emoting, as well.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Thinking about it from a MUSHing POV. The reason behind typically long poses is due in part to multiple actions. A usual entrance for me in a MUSH is: <insert sounds of character's footsteps> <insert glancing around at those in the room> <insert some length description of what your hair is doing> <insert a reference of the time and weather> <insert walking to some table> <insert sitting down> <insert some RP initiating pose toward other char>

In arm, it is coded in such a way that all this is unnecessary. Weather is posed often by the game, its affects on you are as well (dusting oneself off) You can add a pose to your sit. You can add a pose to your glancing. You can add a pose to your dialogue. The game is packaged in way that to codedly make your way through the environment you can add your own flair while still giving other PC's the chance to respond to what you do.

Quote from: valeria on October 21, 2010, 12:43:32 PM
I'm sure what you're doing during the five minute pause between poetic emotes is counting your character limit and making sure it doesn't go over. 

This is what I want to believe.  Leave me alone.

Hey! That's called a caesura. Sheesh.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: WarriorPoet on October 21, 2010, 03:03:52 PM
Just know where you are at. Mushclient gives me two full  buffers of text almost exactly.

I love our character limit. It saves me from having to read through 3 full lines describing somone's visage or trusses

Hey if your pc is kanking my pc they should be all about my pc's visage and tresses. Just saying.

Or at least willing to pretend.

Quote from: bartenderer on October 21, 2010, 06:22:40 PM
Thinking about it from a MUSHing POV. The reason behind typically long poses is due in part to multiple actions. A usual entrance for me in a MUSH is: <insert sounds of character's footsteps> <insert glancing around at those in the room> <insert some length description of what your hair is doing> <insert a reference of the time and weather> <insert walking to some table> <insert sitting down> <insert some RP initiating pose toward other char>

In arm, it is coded in such a way that all this is unnecessary. Weather is posed often by the game, its affects on you are as well (dusting oneself off) You can add a pose to your sit. You can add a pose to your glancing. You can add a pose to your dialogue. The game is packaged in way that to codedly make your way through the environment you can add your own flair while still giving other PC's the chance to respond to what you do.

Heh...
Are you Fabio?
;D

Quote from: manipura on October 21, 2010, 07:35:28 PM
Quote from: bartenderer on October 21, 2010, 06:22:40 PM

Heh...
Are you Fabio?
;D

pemote long blonde locks dance sensually in the fragrant night breeze.

Quote from: Dakota on October 21, 2010, 08:35:53 AM
this is demotivational worthy...

Here you go!

I never have problems with this in mudsex, really. Just uh, other, more important emotes.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Wow. Is this thread forreal forreal?
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on October 21, 2010, 09:46:17 PM
Wow. Is this thread forreal forreal?

Duh.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

Quote from: Oleupata on October 21, 2010, 10:02:55 PM
This thread delivers.
It delivers something, that's for sure.

That's why I'm pretty sure I'm going to Return To Sender it.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Twilight on October 21, 2010, 05:17:14 PM
It is pretty simple.  Use proper grammar.  Don't try to do multiple sentences in a single emote.  One emote, one sentence.

If you follow these two things, you should rarely hit the limit.

If you still do, then limit your emotes to describing one action, rather than trying to describe a series of actions in one emote.  This helps get away from power emoting, as well.
I tend to describe a lot of body language. I got better at judging what would be truncated so I began splitting it up. This solution has resulted in me not needing to shape my emotes to your standards.

I now feel like the only player with no interest in mudsexx.

On the topic of character limit, I hit it with dialogue way more often than with emotes.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

I now feel like the only player who breaks up his speech and emotes into such short segments that other players actually have the ability to cut me off mid-sentence.

Quote from: Feco on October 22, 2010, 12:06:09 PMI now feel like the only player with no interest in mudsexx.

On the topic of character limit, I hit it with dialogue way more often than with emotes.
+1
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

you know your old when your charrie cant get it up..... :P
Sweet chaos let it unfold upon the land.
Guided forever by my adoring loving hand.
It is I the nightmare that sleeps but shall wake.

My two cents:  I'd like the cap to be 150 characters larger on both.

A 200 character cap would be great.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on October 23, 2010, 05:39:21 AM
A 200 character cap would be great.

Including NPCs?
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Less is more.

I say we encourage people to keep under the character limit by being harsher on those that go above it. "Line too long: You talk so long you're exhausted!" -20 stamina. "Line too long: You're trying to do so many things at once you've made yourself dizzy!" -20 stun. "Line too long: You're so long-winded it's boring!" all targets in your emote are knocked unconscious.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on October 23, 2010, 12:06:38 PM
Less is more.

I say we encourage people to keep under the character limit by being harsher on those that go above it. "Line too long: You talk so long you're exhausted!" -20 stamina. "Line too long: You're trying to do so many things at once you've made yourself dizzy!" -20 stun. "Line too long: You're so long-winded it's boring!" all targets in your emote are knocked unconscious.

Sometimes my emotes are long because of shit I target. I can't help that someone has 500 words in their short description or the table is described so fancifully. Dammit.
There is only one boog.

I don't have a problem with the limit for emotes, but when certain character types of mine speak, it is annoying when they get cut off. Some conversations, both IG and IRL do actually consist of one person speaking a lot while the other listens.

Quote from: HailTheAbyss on November 03, 2010, 09:13:09 AM
I don't have a problem with the limit for emotes, but when certain character types of mine speak, it is annoying when they get cut off. Some conversations, both IG and IRL do actually consist of one person speaking a lot while the other listens.

Then don't try to play out a whole conversation with big chunks of text. Write a sentence or two, and then hit enter. There's more room for interaction (even if it's a one sided conversation) and less down time that way.

I've never had much of a problem with trunicated emotes.  My talking, on the other hand.... Severall of my PCs have been quite long-winded.

Also... this thread really does deliver :D
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

November 06, 2010, 06:55:41 PM #44 Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 11:28:50 PM by boog
Quote from: jstorrie on October 21, 2010, 01:54:51 PM
Brevity is the soul of twat.

I wanted to do that for so long.

But back on topic, I have to agree. I have far more problems with dialogue than with emoting. There's always so much to be said.

Unless, of course, your character talks during sex. Wherein, there, you're just screwed.

While wiggling her tush and bucking like a wild gortok, grinding her teeth and growling with a voracious, sexual appetite up at the tall, muscular man, the woman too curvy for
Zalanthas standards says,
    "Oh, Amos. You're just so wild. You know, my last lover, three days ago, was nothing like you. Aren't you just something? You know how to please a woman. I'm gonna
... oh! Wait. I'm hungry!"

That would never fit.
There is only one boog.

Quote from: boog on November 06, 2010, 06:55:41 PM
I have far more problems with dialogue than with emoting. There's always so much to be said.

Ditto.

Quote from: boog on November 06, 2010, 06:55:41 PM

While wiggling her tush and bucking like a wild gortok, grinding her teeth and growling with a voracious, sexual appetite up at the tall, muscular man, the woman too curvy for Zalanthas standards says,
     "Oh, Amos. You're just so wild. You know, my last lover, three days ago, was nothing like you. Aren't you just something? You know how to please a woman. I'm gonna ... oh! Wait. I'm hungry!"

That would never fit.

<3
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on November 03, 2010, 09:56:26 AM
Quote from: HailTheAbyss on November 03, 2010, 09:13:09 AM

Then don't try to play out a whole conversation with big chunks of text. Write a sentence or two, and then hit enter. There's more room for interaction (even if it's a one sided conversation) and less down time that way.

Eh, speech is easy to remedy. It's songs that are tricky.

The problem I run into with the post size limit is targeting more then one person in my emote. You then have there sdesc's in your emote and they take up space. I've been trunciated quite a few times because of this.

Quote from: Feco on October 22, 2010, 12:06:09 PM
I now feel like the only player with no interest in mudsexx.

I not only have no interest in mudsex, i completely abhor it.

100% because I was once playing (INSERT PREVIOUS MUD NAME HERE) and there were all these nasty emotes. it made me feel physically ill when people did them to me; and the staff thought i was an idiot to complain to them of it.

i really have no problem with it tho, as long as you two (or more) are not doing it with me, or on me, and preferably, i would like to leave the room while you monkeys are at it.

actually, i have a question that's relevant and has bothered me for some time.

how does interracial mudsex go in armageddon? is there anything specifically off-limits, or does the staff overlook your scandalous, human-on-elf indiscretions?

and what about dwarfs and half-giants?

nevermind. i'm being told by my Common Sense to shut up now.
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Quotehelp consent
Consent                                                              (Rules)

There are few restrictions on roleplay in Armageddon.  If you choose
to roleplay adult situations, that is fine.  However, before instigating
such an act with another player, please OOC to make sure that the role
play is consented to.  If someone is instigating roleplay that makes
you uncomfortable, please OOC that they should stop.  If they continue
despite being told to stop, please wish up.  This rule is not meant to
be abused in order to allow characters to escape death/torture/etc.
Perhaps a good analogy is the movie ratings system: some people may wish
to see the details acted out in a way which would deserve an R rating
while another, younger player might prefer that the details be
communicated in an OOC fashion and left offstage.

Specifically in the case of roleplaying through a rape or sexual
torture, the instigator takes on added responsibility.  In this case, the
instigator absolutely must OOC'ly ask for and must obtain explicit consent
from the victim's player prior to involving their character in any emote
specifically indicative of the act of rape, no matter how non-graphic you
believe it to be.  If you wish to pursue a rape plotline or engage in an act
of rape, you must seek consent from your target.  Without that consent, the
plotline may NOT be pursued.

[MORE]

In the case of mutilation, an action that would cause a character
to lose their ability to function in some way, the victim may
request that they be killed by the precedure.  It is then the
instigator's responsibility to attempt to kill the victim, or take
some other appropriate course of action.  The victim should not
request other punishments, bargain, or otherwise discuss the
situation out of character beyond this provision.

If you act out a graphic sequence without first obtaining the other
player's consent, and the player then complains within a reasonable
amount of time (so that the runlogs can be checked and the complaint
verified), you will be banned. If you fail to get consent before a rape
plotline or an act of rape, you will be banned.  In either case, you
will be banned for thirty (30) days for the first offense, permanently
for the second offense.  If the Producers deem an act that is a first
offense especially egregious, you will be permanently banned.  Please use
common sense and have respect for other people's sensibilities.

See also:
   rules, Producer

In Armageddon, you are NEVER expected to role play out a scene that you are not comfortable with and ALL abuse should be reported immediately.

Grebber - One who grebs.

that reminds me, i watched a roleplay a while ago in which some mutilation was to be done. and i admired how the mutilator, obviously waited to see if the mutilatee, would agree to the, mutilation. he/she did not. and they continued on kicking each others' butt; and i was impressed that they didn't need a moment of OOC communication to get things done. guy just waited for an answer. pretty slick.
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Quote from: Cindy42 on December 26, 2010, 06:05:03 AM

how does interracial mudsex go in armageddon? is there anything specifically off-limits, or does the staff overlook your scandalous, human-on-elf indiscretions?

Interracial mudsexxing has happened.  There's no prohibitions as to who (or what) a character's sexual partner is.  After all "goat-sex is not illegal in the Highlords City."

Now, as to what happens, for both sexualy and violently descriptive emotes and scenes, that's covered by the consent rules, as FW was kind enough to post.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Pale Horse on December 27, 2010, 10:22:51 PM

Interracial mudsexxing has happened.  There's no prohibitions as to who (or what) a character's sexual partner is.  After all "goat-sex is not illegal in the Highlords City."

Now, as to what happens, for both sexualy and violently descriptive emotes and scenes, that's covered by the consent rules, as FW was kind enough to post.

Sexing wildlife is permitted, but may be hazardous to your health.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

A templar even said so! And I know better than to argue with the boys in blue.
Quote from: Agameth
Goat porn is not prohibited in the Highlord's city.

Quote from: Aaron Goulet on December 27, 2010, 10:27:06 PM
Quote from: Pale Horse on December 27, 2010, 10:22:51 PM

Sexing wildlife is permitted, but may be hazardous to your health.

Now to cross reference this with the pretty animals thread...
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.