Author Topic: Account Notes and such  (Read 1803 times)

creeper386

Account Notes and such
« on: October 10, 2002, 05:56:59 PM »
Okay hear about the notes that are put onto accounts and such...

Now are these for both good/bad things, just bad or what?

Are you informed when a note is stuck onto your account... What it says... Or do you have to email in about anything you might have?

So on and so forth... If this stuffs in a helpfile I'll just shut up... But never ran into it yet... But I'm going to check before I post this... And I did.. .Only thing I see is about IC notes...

Thank yous...

Creeper, Too many helpfiles can't find anything :-p
21sters Unite!

Laeris

Account and Character Notes
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2002, 06:18:24 PM »
Often times notes are made on the account simply as an FYI to other staff members.  These notes often times take the form of "plays on the same IP as so-and-so.  Not multi-playing."  In these particular instances the player is usually not notified.  However, there are other types of notes in which we jot down instances of poor play, rudeness to staff, power-gaming, etc.  In these instances, yes.  The player should be notified so that he/she has an opportunity to correct the problem or, at the least, present his/her case to the staff as to what the reasons were for the behavior.

Good notes are also left on accounts and character infos, noting exceptional play or assistance with submissions or documentation.  Generally, though sadly not always, we try and make the player aware of these notes as well.

So as a general rule of thumb, yes the player is usually notified when a comment is made.  The only instances when a player wouldn't be notified is when a comment is made on the account that is just an fyi to other staff members.
ssues are issues.  People are people.  Issues should be addressed, people should be loved. - John W. Frye

Sanvean

• My Website
I will admit...
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2002, 06:56:55 PM »
I'm bad about letting people know when I've put a comment on their account, particularly a good one, because it feels cheesy to me ("You were so nice and polite that I put a note on your account about it! And now I'll go dance with the strawberry fairy princesses in the garden!).  

While I've been trying to be scrupulous about leaving comments for negative notes lately, I also know it's something that often leads to long, drawn out email exchanges in which the player in question defends their actions at absurd length or accompanied by angry, abusive language, while I just want to go "Dude, you got busted. Deal with it. It's not the end of the world." And I will say that I can think of a number of people who had rocky starts, or even rocky starts and then middles, who have karma despite those negative notes.

Notes on pinfos tend to deal with actions of the character.  Negative notes might include: include virtual or actual npcs; spams actions; abuses existing code by doing x,y or z; actions that seem to point towards OOC coordination or cheating. Positive notes might include: roleplayed X well; consistently uses thinks to explain actions; roleplayed out X despite possibility of twinking out. Neutral notes might include clans that they've joined; alliances or romances with other characters; associated rooms or items; plotlines currently being run for the character.

Notes on accounts tend to deal with the actions of the player. Negative notes might include: consistent cheating, OOC abuse, or other behaviors that seem to carry across characters; constant rudeness or abuse of staff; badmouthing the game or staff in another venue; abuse of a special role; flaming on the GDB; complaints received from other players. Positive notes might include: contributing to the game in the form of documentation, items, or acting as a helper; being an active/dynamic clan leader; being helpful by reporting bugs/typos etc. I tend to leave notes about the particularly polite people, because I appreciate them. Neutral notes might include: similarities of IPs; why a character was stored; accounts being set for sponsored roles or gladiators.

Account Notes and such
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2002, 08:41:54 AM »
Is it innapropriate to e-mail the MUD account with a request for any of the notes on my pinfo or account? I'm actually quite curious if I've been playing this character well or not, and I imagine if I could see any notes on it, it would be helpful.

Halaster

• Legend
Account Notes and such
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2002, 08:48:01 AM »
Yes, Tony, you can email the account and request it.
Halaster

Account Notes and such
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2002, 08:49:36 AM »
Cool, thanks :D

Nick

Review Flag?
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2002, 07:08:07 PM »
Is it better to email a request for notes, or set the review flag?

Gorobei

To Nick.
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2002, 07:27:12 PM »
If you set the review flag, you get a review of how you play now.   The notes are things that were said about you in the past.  It's different.  So you have to decide which one you want.  Plus, everyone has the review flag on, so it takes a while.

creeper386

Account Notes and such
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2002, 12:55:37 AM »
I don't have the review flag on and probably never well...

Although curious most likely won't ask about any notes on my account...

More help for the Admin I guess

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Savak

re: Account/character info
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2002, 03:45:02 AM »
If you want the notes listed on your account/character, you'll have to email in and ask specifically.  These are generally written with other staff in mind, rather than being written for player eyes -- but, as said, if something is either particularly good or particularly bad, you SHOULD have received a 'comment' in mudmail or an email about it already (certainly if it's been in about the last year or 2, prior to that it wasn't a specific policy).  *Usually* any surprises in these notes are pleasant ones, although they're often not very clear unless you have some sort of staff perspective.

Sanvean made a good point that many, many times when we send out a comment to a player about a negative note we've put on their account or character, it turns into a long, draining, frustrating discussion when the original intent was simply to be politely informative.  We don't email you something negative as some sort of personal insult, we're actually doing it because players in the past have been justly adamant about wanting to know when the staff had anything negative to say "so we can do better next time!"  It's kinda a catch 22, IMO, because nobody wants to feel personally slighted and nobody wants to do a heap of extra work or look like a jerk, but everyone agrees that exchanging staff perspective is a good idea.

Notes on accounts tend to be generic notes about a person, their IP's and similar IP's, BIG bad things that may have happened, or trends that we see across several characters someone has played.  Notes on characters tend to be specific and may change; e.g., "spied on Oash, Oash knows; DO NOT ARREST until Lord Dinky asks for it", "defiling west of Gol Krathu, may be sensed by Habadasha", "caught spam-stealing from Zhassr - commented", etc.

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]