Zalanthas Language

Started by Aldiel, October 06, 2010, 09:38:54 AM

October 06, 2010, 09:38:54 AM Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 09:41:12 AM by Aldiel
Returning after a long absence, one of the first things I noticed was my inability to recall certain, in-character phrases and lines, or to remember them correctly.  It led me to realize, with great admiration and fondness, just how much of the game rides on the shoulders of the players, and how much has come as the consequence of nearly decades of trial and error and language adaptation.  To help me recall exactly, and perhaps to be a reference for new players, it might be fun to compile an exhaustive list of all the phrases, words, contractions, and slangs use and associated with Armageddon.  We could have a discussion about which ones are really commonplace, and which ones might be more character specific.  You might also comment on where the word originally derived from, for example, 'Nak or Tuluk.  See, even there, I'm using one of our common contractions. :)
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Quote from: Kronus on October 06, 2010, 09:43:03 AM
Find out IC.  ;D

I'm trying to amuse myself.  I don't -really- need help.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Hm....

Things like this seem to change every day! x-X

Here's some of my favorites from the past, even some I made up myself! ;D

"I don't give two shits and a scrab fart about that!" : Self-explanatory.

"Cunt-puncher" : Cestus.

Wait.... That's all I can remember right now....

I'll sleep on it. x-X

A small = 100
A large = 1000
(in reference to coin)

Krath Struck = an IG term usually used for linkdead or AFK people

Crotch Rot (though I think this is in the documents) = Sexual transmited disease

His Shadow = Farewell term in Allanak

Grebber = Someone who "grebs" for a living, usually miners, salt foragers, not-so-skilled hunters and so on.

Man, I can't really remember much now straight away. I am sure much is in the documents, deeply embedded somewhere.
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

This would be the perfect time for all of us to get together and think of a bunch of 'slang' terms.
I had a few good words half a year ago, darn it...
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Quote from: Voular on October 07, 2010, 04:55:45 PM
His Shadow = Farewell term in Allanak

Yeah, where the feck did this one come from?  It seems to have developed (or at least gotten popular) sometime in the last year or two.  I still haven't been able to figure out if it's only certain IG groups that use this one, or if it's common for the whole city (or perhaps started as one and spread).

I should add "Shade and Water" as a common farewell, or at least it was a few RL years ago, don't hear it too often now.
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

"In His Shadow" has been around for a pretty long time, several years at least.  I could be wrong, but I recall reading it as early as 2002 when I first started playing this game.

It's a counter to the northern equivalent "In His Radiance" or "In His Light."  I'm not sure which one came about first, but both are subtle digs at the other city-state.  Muk Utep is the Sun King, therefore he's referred to in glowing terms as Light, Radiance, etc.  "In His Radiance" is always a dig at Allanak's Tektolnes, who may only cast a shadow in the bright light of Utep.  "In His Shadow" is always a dig at Tuluk's Utep, who may create Light and Radiance, but can't penetrate into the influential areas shadowed by Tektolnes' imposing presence.  You'll hear Allanaki folk typically end a conversation with "His Shadow," "His Shadder," or "His.  Shatner."  if they are especially cognizant of how loyal they'd like to appear to be.  In Tuluk, you'd hear Tuluki citizens end a conversation with "His Light," "His Radiance," or "His Radiator," probably more often than in Allanak.  Non-Tulukis, Non-Allanakis, or just ambivalent varieties of either still use "Shade and Water," "smooth sands," "don't get cut up and placed in a chest," and other variations.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I believe 'smooth sands' was originally a DE parting, but has since migrated to nomads/travelers in general.

Quote from: Nyr on November 22, 2010, 10:20:45 AM
Non-Tulukis, Non-Allanakis, or just ambivalent varieties of either still use[...] "don't get cut up and placed in a chest," and other variations.

This is my favourite one to use, right before I shadow them back to their apartment, cut them up, and place them in a chest.
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

I think it stems from the real-world equivalent: "Go with God."

"Walk in His Shadow."

"Walk in His Radiance."

It's a comparative phrase, considering Tek and Utep to be immortal deities.

It doesn't mean that's true (that they're immortal deities) but I believe that perception is how it came about.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Elderscrolls, Morrowind.
Kajiit, "Warm Sands."
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

You now realize how annoying dunmer would be in Zal.

SPEAK QUICKLY, OUTLANDER, OR GO AWAY.

OUTLANDER.

OUTLANDER.

That fucker is at least six cords tall. Him and them fuckin' elf-legs.
He got the shoulders of a braxat on him. From the sounds of 'em, got the brain a'one too.
Krath, from the way you're beatin' around the bush, you'd think we were in Tuluk. Fuckin' say it, mate.

I'll think of more, equally un-clever things at a later time.

That bitch is about as bright as Krath in the 'Rinth.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

I always assumed that the term "His Shadow" or "In His Shadow" referred to standing within the protection of Tektollnes.  In a world of harsh burning sunlight, a shadow would seem to represent a place of respite and safety.  And the figure casting it, I would envision as omnipotent and unaffected by the harshness that we all struggle against.  This is at least the visual representation I've always held in my mind upon hearing this.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."~D. Adams

I have CDO.  It's like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order.       Like they should be.

Yeah, in Allanak it's always searing hot. You always want to be in the shade.

In Tuluk you're always two steps away from being killed by an assassin, a kryl, or falling into a nest of cilops. You never want to be in the dark.

Quote from: jstorrie on December 12, 2010, 05:30:28 PM
Yeah, in Allanak it's always searing hot. You always want to be in the shade.

In Tuluk you're always two steps away from being killed by an assassin, a kryl, or falling into a nest of cilops. You never want to be in the dark.
I like this.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

I always thought His Light and His Shadow were (IG) quiet, accidental reflections of how life in Allanak is usually somewhat more difficult than in Tuluk, and also reflection of how the Ivory Pyramid and the black tower look.
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Whira's sagging tits!!!... Been a favourite for my characters for a few years now.
Quote from: Cutthroat on August 22, 2009, 10:57:13 PMSo Eunoli Winrothol, Samos Rennik, and Thrain Ironsword walk into a bar. The Red Fang bartender looks up and says, "Get the fuck out of my bar."

Considering the hatred they have for all things to do with magic and the close correlation between the two would someone from Tuluk use mention of droth, whira, etc?
The One-Armed, Masked Newbie

In my experience they are extremely hesitant to. They come up now and again in a literary sense, but for the most part Tuluki society - or the public part of it, at least - has a sort of universal agnosticism about all things supernatural. Accordingly you don't even hear Drov as a euphemism for death, or Whira as a metaphor for fate. Many Tulukis won't recognize that 'Rukkian' means 'stone mage', or that sort of thing. Depending on their contact with the outside world, they may or may not know that elementalists are only empowered with one element's magick. And there is, of course, no concept of the 'preserver' or 'good sorceror', but Allanak is pretty similar in that regard.

The norm of Tuluki society would be that any knowledge of the supernatural is the department of the templarate, and none other.

Quote from: jstorrie on January 24, 2011, 09:13:09 PM
In my experience they are extremely hesitant to. They come up now and again in a literary sense, but for the most part Tuluki society - or the public part of it, at least - has a sort of universal agnosticism about all things supernatural. Accordingly you don't even hear Drov as a euphemism for death, or Whira as a metaphor for fate. Many Tulukis won't recognize that 'Rukkian' means 'stone mage', or that sort of thing. Depending on their contact with the outside world, they may or may not know that elementalists are only empowered with one element's magick. And there is, of course, no concept of the 'preserver' or 'good sorceror', but Allanak is pretty similar in that regard.

The norm of Tuluki society would be that any knowledge of the supernatural is the department of the templarate, and none other.

i agree. i've spent lots of time in tuluk and an okay amount of time in nak and noticed that NO ONE in tuluk used "Drov!" and it was very common in nak to use magick words for cusswords.
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Krath seems ubiquitous, though.

Quote from: jhunter on January 24, 2011, 07:23:22 PM
Tek's Balls!

Muk's Ass!

My first ever pc Mason got a scolding for saying "Muk's Balls" In allanak from his Byn Leutenant. (Who hasn't been dead a year yet, so shall not be named)

Ahh.. I miss Morbid Mason.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died