Lowest of the low

Started by lordcooper, October 05, 2010, 08:50:02 PM

Quote from: lordcooper on October 06, 2010, 05:51:40 AM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 06, 2010, 04:42:22 AM
'Rinthi breed gemmmer.

I meet your bid and raise you a 'Rinthi breed defiler living in Tuluk.  Who also happens to be a slave in the Byn AND has a Sc't'ish' accent.

Who's also a mutant.

Quote from: Dakota on October 06, 2010, 04:28:33 AM
from my experience w/ RP in my short time in Arm..

Would say it's gickers or really geographically based. Nak's in Tuluk. Tuluki's in Nak. Then gickers everywhere. I've found / seen more scenes with racism for those or even elves than with breeds.

I think it slips people's mind sometimes. You know, they're only half elf...

That's actually what makes them pond scum. Humans should be more angry about the fact that they're half-human.

Quote from: Spoon on October 06, 2010, 07:32:50 AM

I think it slips people's mind sometimes. You know, they're only half elf...

That's actually what makes them pond scum. Humans should be more angry about the fact that they're half-human.

That's exactly what's so disturbing. ewwww.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 06, 2010, 07:06:40 AM
'Rinthi breed gemmmer.

I meet your bid and raise you a 'Rinthi breed defiler living in Tuluk.  Who also happens to be a slave in the Byn AND has a Sc't'ish' accent.

Who's also a mutant.

Who appears otherwise to be an elf, and rides a gwoshi.

Quote from: Nahara on October 06, 2010, 07:48:27 AM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 06, 2010, 07:06:40 AM
'Rinthi breed gemmmer.

Who's also a mutant.

Who appears otherwise to be an elf, and rides a gwoshi.

Daaaaaaamn.

O:

October 06, 2010, 10:34:46 AM #30 Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 10:36:44 AM by Nahara
... erm. I pressed the quote button? /double post.

Byn Training Yard, Tuluk
This place stinks of dung. It's also full of mercenaries, blood, and sweat. The ground is muddy, at
least you hope that's what it is.
There is a thin film of ash here.
The hunch-backed, scaly elf is here, riding a gwoshi.
- She is glowing.

> look scaly

This half-gith is a brilliant purple, brighter than any seen in nature. Her eyes are equally strange.
Rather than a nose she has a hooked beak-like projection resembling that of a shik. One of her ears is
perfectly round and human-like while the other resembles a longknife in length and sharpness. A third,
withered arm hangs limply under her right armpit. Her spine twists her into a hunchbacked posture.
Perversely, her body is otherwise shapely, bearing a slender waist, wide hips, long legs, and a bouncy,
curvaceous chest just short of impressive enough to blame for the deformation of her spine.
A repugnant odor clings to her.
She is glowing.

The hunch-backed, scaly half-breed is wearing:
<neck> A smelly slave collar
<about body> A smelly Byn aba
<elsewhere> A lot of smelly gwoshi leather and silk

Flourishing an irrelevant three-line command emote, the hunch-backed, scaly half-breed says, in Rinthi-accented
sirihish:
"oi lass, y' wan'in' t' spar 'an kan' la'e"

Whatever I am playing is the worst treated PC of all time.

All time.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

From a human perspective, it really seems like elves are far less regarded than half-elves  Half-elves are less xenophobic, less inclined towards thievery, and they look a little less alien than pure elves.  It also seems like they're much more likely to be employed or enslaved by humans.

So, racially I'm going to have to go with elf.

From a human perspective I would have to go half-elf.
From an elf perspective I would have to go half-elf.

Historicly Moe, Mongrels are treated far worse.

As was explained above, Yes, elves are bad, but Oh, Ugh, somebody mated with one!, even worse, that one might mate with a human, now you get a breed that looks human, YOU might bed one without knowing...THE HORROR!

My dwarves think muls are just above half-elves, they would be below cept they cannot breed. So Half-elves are worse, combining the worst of both parent races in my dwarves opinions.

A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on October 06, 2010, 02:24:08 PMHistoricly Moe, Mongrels are treated far worse.
Historically, on Earth, perhaps.

However, I just don't see it that way in Zalanthas.

October 06, 2010, 02:32:13 PM #36 Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 02:39:34 PM by Spoon
This is my view on it, Moe, in the context of this thread and the OP.

If a human really, really hates elves because they're a race of thieving scumbags, they'll surely find half-elves even more disgusting. It's not a matter of treating elves better than half-elves. On the disgusting filth o' meter, half-elves are a that one notch lower, because the more you hate elves, the more offended you will be by half-elves.

That and mutants, as they're the same deal but raped by MAGICK! (and most commoners believe all magickers have hideous mutations)

Quote from: Marauder Moe on October 06, 2010, 02:14:14 PMSo, racially I'm going to have to go with elf.

I think this should be wrong but is how things tend to fall out in practice.

Elves tend to be seen as criminal parasites, and that's probably wrong.  Most NPC elves aren't gonna be actively criminal...light-fingered, maybe, but not making a living as pickpockets or burglars.  Not when they're 40% of the population or whatever.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

least you corrected my spelling, But we will have to differ otherwise, Zalanthus people are documented racists, going well beyond what most of earth history has....well, aside from maybe germany WWII.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

It's not just PC behavior, though.  Look at the NPCs.

For Krath's sake, there's a half-elf working at the Trader's Inn, and meanwhile elves aren't even allowed inside!

For every employed elf NPC, there have to be at least 10 employed half-elves.  Given that population-wise elves outnumber half-elves by a huge margin, that seems very significant to me.

October 06, 2010, 02:44:28 PM #40 Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 02:48:01 PM by Nahara
Half-elves are more suitable to being employed by someone outside their family than elves, because half-elves don't generally have much of a family, and are not absolutely guaranteed to put its interests before their employer. For one.

I'd say they're more employable as a result of being less accepted, in fact. Elves have each other and don't have the same need for employment, in theory. Breeds have this drive for acceptance that it is much easier to manipulate them with than most elven traits.

I really don't think it's for lack of applicants that more elves don't get hired.  Plenty of city elves (like most city dwellers) would jump at the chance for a steady stream of coin (or the chance to loot the place clean and then dash off to the 'rinth).

True. They're more likely to be congratulated for looting the place, though.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on October 06, 2010, 02:35:46 PM

For Krath's sake, there's a half-elf working at the Trader's Inn, and meanwhile elves aren't even allowed inside!

Thaaat...is a good point.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on October 06, 2010, 03:08:04 PM
Quote from: Marauder Moe on October 06, 2010, 02:35:46 PM

Thaaat...is a good point.

Yeah. Moe's winning this argument, for sure.

And really, I think it'd be the half-elf who looks pretty human, sleeping with a human, them deciding to become mates, until she tells him (or vice versa) they s/he is in fact, a breed. Imagine the horrorrrrr.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

I do not see how that is a good point, Full elves are known to have sticky fingers, who the hell is going to hire them in a tavern, and it makes sense to keep them out of the traders, nobles and GMH family have lots of pretty nicknacks that a celf could not stop from trying to get. Meanwhile, Breeds might be icky and low, but they are not known for theft, also, Nobles LIKE the lowest of the low to serve them, it makes them feel that much higher on the social ladder.
Lizzie:

It seems to me that "elves steal shit" is an argument for them being regarded below half-elves, not one against.

Also, frankly, you've got the lowest of the low servant thing completely backwards.  The higher the status of your servants, the higher your own status.

To clarify some more:

It's certainly not that being half-human makes a half-elf better than an elf.  The mingled blood is absolutely a strike against half-elves.  However, the key thing is that half-elves are not elves.  They lack many of the undesirable aspects of elves.  This is why I think they rank better.

We can put it in a side by side list form too:

Elf         | Half-elf
-------------------------
Not human   | Not human
Thievery    | Mixed blood
Prideful    | Bipolar
Xenophobic  |
Tribal      |

It just seems to me that there are more reasons to dislike elves than half-elves.

Yeah, elves have more readily apparent to pick from, and every girl I've ever crushed on is bipolar (I have no damn clue why), so I have a hard time hating someone for that or even playing characters who hate someone for that. I guess that's another good reason for me to play breeds: I don't have to bother trying.

What amuses me is when I play a half-elf who looks down the most on apparent non-breed breed-lovers for varying reasons.

Actually, I could see breed lovers being below breeds. EEWWWW.

Lizzie: