Sand in my boots! Argh!

Started by , July 12, 2003, 07:23:13 PM

The sewer/muddy/all that effect on my boots had me thinking of a nifty, yet probably horribly annoying thing for desert travel. And that is... as the topic states, sand in my boots!

Spending a long time in the desert without adequetely sized boots might result in the hot, gritty and grainy sands mingling in between your unsocked toes, being a horrible burden for walking.

So I was thinking that maybe with a little size flag implemented for shoes, (Obviously thigh-high boots would be harder to get sand in) this could be done. Making proper desert attire a must for travel, as having sand in your boots, without stopping to empty them would both impede your progress walking with increased stamina drain, but for a prolonged time would result in bloody-toes.

It would do something like an Affect on Stat, then be timered so that if you do not clean them out, 'Sandy Boots' turns into 'Blistering Toes' or something clever :)

Anyways, thats all.

I would much prefer to be able to RP that out without having to rely on code to do it for me. :)

Yeah, I prefer to RP that sort of thing. Besides if your shoes don't fit theres lots of things you could do to ensure that sand doesn't go in. Folding down the tops, lining your boots with sandcloth that sort of thing. Hell even wearing pants that go down over the tops of your boots. So I'd prefer that RP takes presedence over code.  8)

Well sadly people dont always rp it out, and spend several hours in the desert in sandals, or low-cut shoes/boots.

And on that note I would much rather RP out when im hungry and thirsty. Instead of the code deciding it for me.

D-elves are the only ones who actually walk (run) around in the desert with boots on; everybody else with half a brain rides a kank or equivalent mount.

And if you are unlucky enough to be a kank-rider caught without a kank, the stamina code is wicked enough when you're trying to get to safety, without having to worry about 'sand in your boots'.

So all in all, this would be a fairly useless thing to code.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: "Jenred"And on that note I would much rather RP out when im hungry and thirsty. Instead of the code deciding it for me.

You'll have to forgive this but, that's taking it to the extreme. There's no need to get testy about something (What you said kind of comes off that way to me, sorry if I take it out of context) like this.

But in order to defend what I stated, I was giving those examples to explain why the code would not be terribly useful since you would have to account for -all- of those things such as how people wear their pants or line their boots or the footwear they have. The hunger/thirst code on the other hand -does- account for you having eaten during offline times or perhaps having a different metabolism than another person as you can go for several IC days without -needing- to eat or drink anything. We could go around in circles for days on this though, so this is my last post on the subject.  8)