What does [THING] look like?

Started by Blackisback, August 11, 2010, 09:05:12 PM

Quote from: spicemustflow on August 22, 2010, 12:46:57 PM
You mean "Elves of Athas"? It's a great book, why did you edit out the name?

Though Athasian elves are much less sinister than "ours".

Hmm...that is the book I mean, and I didn't edit out the name. Not sure why you'd be getting a different image.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

Quote from: spicemustflow on August 22, 2010, 12:46:57 PM
Though Athasian elves are much less sinister than "ours".

I never felt that Zalanthan elves are more wicked or conniving than Athasian elves. Really, a lot of the docs are nearly identical in presentation. The tests, the tribal attachments, distrust of strangers, appreciation for theft as an art-form. All these fundamental motivators show up in both versions of elf. Might be that in a P&P format, a lot of people chose to play "friendlier" elves, given the difficulties of swindling your buddy across the gaming table. The MUD format is a pretty good at raising the veil, which can make it easier for folk to play the wicked elves of nightmare bed-time stories.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

They lack the "living in the moment and celebrating life" mindset of Athasian elves, if I recall correctly. Not all tribes here dance under the moonlight.

Take it to the Random Arm Thoughts, guys. Keep it on topic.

I've always never had any solid idea of what a Braxat looked like - or a Gaj.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

August 22, 2010, 02:16:07 PM #31 Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 02:31:00 PM by Bogre
Edit

>someone has better board skills than me

*points below*
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Braxat:

Gaj:

This actually took some searching - ended up finding Terrors of Athas. According to that...

A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

I never really had a chance to, look braxat, before... I am now even more afraid of them now!

Yup. I reckon those're some mighty fearsome creatures.

No time soon will you find me tangling with either of those.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I don't know what a ratlon looks like.

The two premier search engines (ask, bing) don't return images of them, and I can't even find a description of them in the ARM docs.

He said, "I don't fly coach, never save the roach."

What ration are you looking at?

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

- Samuel Clemens

QuoteThese rare pack-beasts are only occasionally seen in recent generations, apparently being very difficult to breed. While not well-suited for long desert journeys, their tough hides and strong, steady legs make them excellent mounts for rough terrain, and some mounted military units have preferentially utilized them.

It still doesn't really tell you what they look like.  I saw one in game a couple of real-life years ago.
He said, "I don't fly coach, never save the roach."

Ratlon have about the same dimensions of an inix -- possibly a little bit smaller, and have a beak.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on August 23, 2010, 01:14:14 AM
Ratlon have about the same dimensions of an inix -- possibly a little bit smaller, and have a beak.

Like these with another set of legs?

- Samuel Clemens

Quote from: Bilanthri on August 23, 2010, 01:19:14 AM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on August 23, 2010, 01:14:14 AM

Like these with another set of legs?

That's pretty much right on the money of what I gleaned from their descriptions. x]

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Wolfsong on August 22, 2010, 02:28:08 PM
Braxat:

I like these..  But am I the only one who noticed that the dwarf has eyebrows?  :o
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Quote from: Aaron Goulet on August 23, 2010, 09:56:58 AM
Quote from: Wolfsong on August 22, 2010, 02:28:08 PM
Braxat:

I like these..  But am I the only one who noticed that the dwarf has eyebrows?  :o

Dwarves in Dark Sun are just bald and beardless, they have eyebrows. Only muls were completely hairless.

August 23, 2010, 07:38:44 PM #46 Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 07:42:03 PM by FightClub
Get some....
On an added note, looking through these books -- I've noticed that pretty much every single creature has some level of nasty psionics. I'm glad that didn't translate into the game either.

Like reading up on the gith, you'll find that they travel in packs, their leader will typically be a psionic, and before his troops swarm he'll unleash a psionic attack, then the gith will leap 20 foot through the air to impale your ass like some final fantasy dragoon shit.

"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

August 23, 2010, 08:34:08 PM #47 Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 08:37:07 PM by Bilanthri
Quote from: FightClub on August 23, 2010, 07:38:44 PM
On an added note, looking through these books -- I've noticed that pretty much every single creature has some level of nasty psionics.

Yep, and every PC is a wild talent with a small handful of nifty psi powers. The idea was that psionics were a natural product of evolution and that most beings possessed some aspect of psionic nature.

The Gaj posted earlier uses psi to [Edited in case of IG information] in any animal it [Edited in case of IG information]. Rikus fights one in the arena in "The Verdant Passage".
- Samuel Clemens

Documentation on dwarves in Dark Sun suggests they are only (usually) completely hairless on their heads. Muls may be either hairless or grow hair, but apparently if the latter are known to shave/shear it off to preserve "racial unity." Muls are also incredibly fertile and reproduce quickly? Scrab are tiny little fucks who roam in packs and are (apparently) intelligent. Most silt horror are itty bitty and also roam in packs.

Anyway - what about bone/shell frying pans and bone grills? I'm interested to know how they can be constructed to conduct heat well enough to actually fry/grill things.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

Grill material doesn't need to conduct heat...it just has to withstand it.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.