What does [THING] look like?

Started by Blackisback, August 11, 2010, 09:05:12 PM

General idea is to ask what something unique or difficult to imagine looks like. I'm sure everyone has come across a piece of gear which, upon looking at it, was left scratching their head.

I'll get this party started. What the hell does a Hawkblade look like? I just can't wrap my mind around the basic shape of it. Is it like a boomerang? A boomerang with a handle on it?

Wtf does a surmac look like?
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

A hawkblade is like a backwards khukri knife, only sword-sized.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: HavokBlue on August 11, 2010, 09:07:10 PM
Wtf does a surmac look like?

Given the mdescs I've read, it's this with a wider brim:

Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Quote from: Blackisback on August 11, 2010, 09:05:12 PMI'll get this party started. What the hell does a Hawkblade look like? I just can't wrap my mind around the basic shape of it. Is it like a boomerang? A boomerang with a handle on it?

I imagine it sorta like this.

"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

I always thought the orc blades from Lord of the Rings.

The ones that look like "L's"

Quote from: Tuannon on August 12, 2010, 01:12:21 AM
I always thought the orc blades from Lord of the Rings.

The ones that look like "L's"

That's what I always thought.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Those are straight blades with a spur at the end, though.  The hawkblades in game are described as having more of a blade with a shape more like a kukri but in reverse.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on August 12, 2010, 06:04:58 AM
Those are straight blades with a spur at the end, though.  The hawkblades in game are described as having more of a blade with a shape more like a kukri but in reverse.

Agreed, I don't think it's exact.  But I don't think it's the more gentle bend of the kukri either, nor extending backwards so far.  I'm not sure, I haven't looked at the description in a -long- time.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

I think hawkblades are described as having more of a right-angled blade. I think the 'L' pretty much sums it up. It just makes the business end heavier.

Posted for FightClub
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

God those weapons are badass.  More trikals in game, plz.

Quote from: Armaddict on August 12, 2010, 05:17:06 PM
God those weapons are badass.  More trikals in game, plz.

I like the bat'leth at the top.

Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Tortoise blade is hawt.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

What are ptergyes?  And what do they look like?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on August 13, 2010, 12:57:37 AM

I summon thee, Xeran van Houten!

*waits expectantly*

a barbed throwing chakram.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: Malifaxis on August 12, 2010, 12:37:54 PMPosted for FightClub

Thank you Sir.

Quote from: LauraMars on August 13, 2010, 12:57:37 AM
See the pants?
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

What do elves' ears look like? LotR ears? Dragon Age ears? WoW ears? Some other variant?

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on August 22, 2010, 03:16:27 AM
What do elves' ears look like? LotR ears? Dragon Age ears? WoW ears? Some other variant?

...What I've always imagined, anyhow.

August 22, 2010, 12:30:53 PM #23 Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 12:32:58 PM by Bilanthri
Quote from: bcw81 on August 22, 2010, 03:16:27 AM

The original design for DS elves had them with human sized ears with points, rather than the elongated elf-tannae that imply a more fantastical creation.

I think this adds to the concept that elves are people too. They don't live 1000 years and wield magic like human children play with sticks.

EDIT: Also, for any of you looking for more reading on how to RP these shifty, desert runners, this book is awesome. I've had a copy for a long time but recently went through it again and all sorts of ideas brewed.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

You mean "Elves of Athas"? It's a great book, why did you edit out the name?

Though Athasian elves are much less sinister than "ours".