Going, going, sandwich?

Started by spawnloser, July 26, 2010, 11:28:50 AM

While I agree with everything in favor of the sandwich not being anachronistic, I kind of do like the world where the sandwich was never invented. It is the small things like this that seperate my world from the game. Sort of like how apples don't exist.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

Quote from: Bogre on July 26, 2010, 03:26:24 PM
more importantly why does zalanthas not have hummus

Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Bogre on July 26, 2010, 03:26:24 PM
more importantly why does zalanthas not have hummus

The same reason Zalanthas doesn't have chickpeas.

I think sandwiches are no big loss. I don't think it's the word "sandwich" or what the concept of a sandwich is, but I think that it is somewhat out of place since bread isn't really a staple food in a lot of Zalanthas, so it wouldn't really have the opportunity to catch on as a concept.

Quote from: Nyr on July 26, 2010, 12:20:09 PM
Quote from: Marauder Moe on July 26, 2010, 11:41:30 AM
I kind of agree that sandwiches are a bit of an anachronistic/Western food, though.  Zalanthas tends to have a more Middle-Eastern/African theme, and as such I think portable food would more likely resemble pita pockets, wraps, and kebabs.

Agreed, definitely.  Finding Zalanthan words and cooking styles to emulate those from a Middle-Eastern, African, or tribal theme would be awesome.  The only wraps we have are facewraps, and we don't have tacos either for obvious reasons.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on July 26, 2010, 04:03:43 PM
The problem isn't the food type; it's that it uses a word invented in the 1800s and that we don't find in medievalist geek-lit.  That particular word is too jarring for a lot of us.

Aye, use words like "sandwich," and you may die.  Run, and you may live...at least for a while.  And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willing to trade ALL the days from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies...
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

What was it Roland called them....Popkins?
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

First it was the sammiches.. then it was the Kanks... now it's the sammiches again..

does that mean they might bring the Kanks back again one day?  (smirks)
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Everybody please tell me how much you hate the word "roti."  Too desperately obscure?  Brings up images of severed tongues?
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Personally I think "flatbread" is fine.  Rolled flatbread, stuffed flatbread, folded flatbread, wrapped in flatbread, etc.

To be honest, I don't care if they are called a Royal with cheese, long as they exist.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Marauder Moe on July 27, 2010, 10:40:49 AM
Personally I think "flatbread" is fine.  Rolled flatbread, stuffed flatbread, folded flatbread, wrapped in flatbread, etc.

I think that's cool.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on July 27, 2010, 10:33:07 AM
Everybody please tell me how much you hate the word "roti."  Too desperately obscure?  Brings up images of severed tongues?

I have never heard it til now.

Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

July 27, 2010, 11:02:11 AM #61 Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 11:04:10 AM by brytta.leofa
Okay, now I need a Zalanthized version of cheese-whiz.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on July 27, 2010, 10:40:49 AM

My only issue with that is... isn't flatbread the kind of bread you're making it from?  If you're crafting with slices of a crusty loaf of bread, you can't turn it into flatbread just 'cause you put it with chalton steak, onions, and cheese-food-product.

Well, yes.  Just figure that if Zalanthans want portable food, though, they use flatbread, not slices from big loafs of bread.

One of the big things that made the Dark Sun setting ground breaking back in the day was the fact that is went out of its way to draw upon non-European mythology for its inspiration. North african, mesoamerican and mesopotamian influences strongly shaped the cultures and feel of the Tablelands, with each of the several city-states embodying the 'feel' of a particular region on Earth.

This lack of eurocentrism, I feel (and this is my own opinion), has been held over into Armageddon, and will continue to be into Arm.2 (from what sneak-peeks I've seen so far). It's this aspect of being divorced from generic european fantasy tropes, or really anything explicitly Western that sets the ravaged world of Zalanthas apart from Middle Earth or Faerûn.

How does this relate to sandwiches? Sandwiches are a lazy stopgap that really lets down the effort elsewhere in the game to make the theme unique, this isn't of course specific only to sandwiches, I've seen other items in game that have boggled my mind, but we can do better than sandwiches. Wraps, pitas, naan, even trenchers - Western food is boring, we can do better.

Vietnamese - Banh Mi
Greek Santouits
Hebrew - Harikh
I'd keep looking but my employer would fail to appreciate the value of this exercise
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: BleakOne on July 27, 2010, 05:49:08 AM
Even though I'm a newish player, two of my characters have had sandwiches, and I thought it was ok. It didn't break my experience of the game, although I do tend to make my characters treat such things as exotic.

Then again, I don't really know anything about the history of the sandwich, so it could be like having french tubers.

Now I'm confused.  ???

There are not the sandwiches you are looking for.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

You craft the bread, cheese, and chalton meat into a Philly Cheese Banh Mi.

I shall use a masterwork craft to invent the Zalanthan version of the KFC Double Down. Delicious bamuk bacon and cheese sandwiched between two fried scrab streaks. The cardiologists will love me.

FYI: Before sandwiches were invented by that king loui guy They made things called 'trenchers'

You hollow out a bagguette of bread and fill it with like a beef and barely stew, or something similar.

midevil subway yo.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Most...Useless...Thread....Ever....

....After...All...The....Other....Most...Useless...Thread...Ever..That...The...GDB....Has.....
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Then....Stop....Reading....It....And....Let....The....Rest....Of....

Us.....Have.....Our....Fun....

Replying to the most useless reply ever....
Lizzie:

Okay you fuckers, The Ellipses Police called and want you to cut it the fuck out.

And get back on fucking task.  SAMMICHES, BITCHES.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Sandwiches never broke my emmersion. Most of the things in the Silver Ginka however...
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Gypsies not acting gypsy break my immurzunz, elves ignoring their tribe break my immurzunz, half-giants  that are smarter than most humans break my immurzuns, people that ignore danger break my immurzunz. Sammiches though, innocent. Immuzunz safe.

I can't help but imagine that scene from Monsters Inc where the monster has the kids sock stuck to his fur, except it's a big, bone-clad warrior with a sandwich.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

July 27, 2010, 09:01:34 PM #74 Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 09:07:58 PM by Calypso
Hmn.  so then if sandwich category food isn't excluded, just anything served between two european style bread slices or with the word sandwich in the name.. I know what I need to do.

Invent the pizza wrap! ;)

A large round of flatbread is here, slathered in a paste of ashfruit puree and topped with a yellowish cheese and slices of tandu sausage.  It has been erbaked and fills the air with a mouth-watering aroma...
If procrastination  is really so easy, why aren't more people doing it yet?