Going, going, sandwich?

Started by spawnloser, July 26, 2010, 11:28:50 AM

Okay, so years ago Malifaxis and I were instrumental in the first sandwich in Armageddon being implemented.  Soon after everyone in Tuluk was rolling around with other sandwiches, half of them were made with things primarily available in certain clan halls.  Not too very long, in the grand scheme of things, ALL of the sandwiches were removed for being anachronistic.  Lately it was suggested to me that sandwiches are in game again.

Personally, I was disappointed when sandwiches were pulled.  After a while, I came to agree with the decision.  I would prefer it had stayed that way, actually.  Now I'm just a little irritated that the early sandwiches were removed, the ones that I was party to, with the reason being something that should apply still now... but we've still got other, new sandwiches.

Thoughts?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

If you see a sandwich, typo it.  It should not be in-game, it is anachronistic.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Sandwich... Bad?
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

Armageddon is an evolving game.  Immortals come and go, and policies come and go with them.

I kind of agree that sandwiches are a bit of an anachronistic/Western food, though.  Zalanthas tends to have a more Middle-Eastern/African theme, and as such I think portable food would more likely resemble pita pockets, wraps, and kebabs.

Can we have rat pasties?
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Nyr on July 26, 2010, 11:33:05 AM
If you see a sandwich, typo it.  It should not be in-game, it is anachronistic.

(Especially now that nobody should be able to craft them or buy them anywhere anymore, as of noon today.  I did some work in the crafting/shops DB and cleared them out of the game, more or less.)
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

July 26, 2010, 12:14:44 PM #6 Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:23:38 PM by X-D
Personally I think the idea that they are anachronistic quite silly.

Sandwiches have been around for hundreds if not thousands of years, in many forms. Pretty much for as long as wheat has been ground to flour to make breads.

Zalanthus has bread, flatbreads, loaves and more, they have meat, they have cheese, spices etc. But they are not capable of putting them together? Huh?

Putting your food inside your bread is a good way to keep it fresh as well as making simpler handling and eating.

Wiping sand and dust off the outside crust of bread is simpler then trying to get it out of the grease on your meat.

anachronistic...silliness.

PS, Sandwich is any food item between two other food items and meant to be held and eaten, even wraps, tacos etc all count as sandwiches.

In fact, with only a tiny bit of research, I can find mentions of such items all the way back to around 9500BC, or, more then 11,000 years ago.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Marauder Moe on July 26, 2010, 11:41:30 AM
I kind of agree that sandwiches are a bit of an anachronistic/Western food, though.  Zalanthas tends to have a more Middle-Eastern/African theme, and as such I think portable food would more likely resemble pita pockets, wraps, and kebabs.

Agreed, definitely.  Finding Zalanthan words and cooking styles to emulate those from a Middle-Eastern, African, or tribal theme would be awesome.  The only wraps we have are facewraps, and we don't have tacos either for obvious reasons.

As I said, some of the first instances, 7-10k years ago were meat between TWO pieces of flatbread.

And though, because it was a different time and english did not even exist, it was called something else, it still was in fact a sandwich.

We, on the other hand speak english, not sirihish or allundean or what have you, things must be described  in english, and since we are the ones reading it, it is not in any way anachronistic to use the term sandwich to describe any number of sandwich like items. In fact, the use of words easily understandable by all has in fact been the reason for THOUSANDS of rejected char apps, items and more throughout the history of this game up to present day.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Well, there's the spicy scrab roll.

There have been a few filled pastries as desert items too (jade cream tarts).

I've seen at least one specialty food served on a stick, but I think that's something that should be much more common (especially now that bread is becoming a rarity).  Rat on a stick, lizard on a stick, mek kebabs, etc.

On a mild tangent, I don't think small insects as food is as common as it should be in Zalanthas.  We're already very used to eating large insects (scrab, beetles), but very seldom do you see smaller ones like (Earthly-sized) tarantulas, roaches, ants, and grasshoppers.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on July 26, 2010, 12:30:23 PM

I've seen at least one specialty food served on a stick, but I think that's something that should be much more common (especially now that bread is becoming a rarity).  Rat on a stick, lizard on a stick, mek kebabs, etc.

On a mild tangent, I don't think small insects as food is as common as it should be in Zalanthas.  We're already very used to eating large insects (scrab, beetles), but very seldom do you see smaller ones like (Earthly-sized) tarantulas, roaches, ants, and grasshoppers.

From my own personal experience, the opportunity's there to eat all of those things other than perhaps tiny spiders. It's more a question of whether people do or not.

My characters tend to.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Yeah I don't see why you had to remove the items Nyr. Why not just rename them? Make up a zalanthanesque word for them. Call them, zimshas. Singular: zimsha. And let the mdesc remain as is, so the reader understands that what his zalanthan character is biting into, is what we here on earth call a sandwich.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Did some quick research myself and stole this excerpt:

During the Middle Ages, thick blocks of coarse stale bread called trenchers were used in place of plates. Meats and other foods were piled on top of the bread to be eaten with their fingers and sometimes with the aid of knives. The trenchers, thick and stale, absorbed the juice, the grease, and the sauces. At the end of the meal, one either ate the trencher or, if hunger had been satisfied, tossed the gravy-soaked bread to their dogs or given as alms to less fortunate or poor human. Alms were clothing, food, or money that is given to poor people: In the past, people thought it was their religious duty to give alms to the poor. Trenchers were clearly the forerunner of our open-face sandwiches.

Just one example of an early "sandwich".

July 26, 2010, 12:44:15 PM #13 Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:49:18 PM by Xeran Van Houten
<3 Nyr
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11

I removed the items for consistency with previous staff work done; as spawnloser stated, they were removed for a reason back in the day and have somehow cropped up again since then.  Good for discussion and fixing, sure, but for now, they're not there.

If delectable, twin-breaded meals were common prior to Earl Montagu, what did they call 'em?

I don't see why you all are so eager to broaden the definition of "sandwich" in order to stuff the word itself into Zalanthas.

I think all that's inappropriate is meat, cheese, and/or vegetables between two pieces of sliced bread.  Nyr just said that flatbread constructions are fine.

(Most flatbread "sandwiches" would be a single piece rolled or folded in half rather than two separate layered pieces, as that would likely fall apart unless held together by some bonding agent like melted cheese, ala quesadillas.)

Quote from: crackerjack on July 26, 2010, 12:37:42 PM

During the Middle Ages, thick blocks of coarse stale bread called trenchers were used in place of plates. Meats and other foods were piled on top of the bread to be eaten with their fingers and sometimes with the aid of knives. The trenchers, thick and stale, absorbed the juice, the grease, and the sauces. At the end of the meal, one either ate the trencher or, if hunger had been satisfied, tossed the gravy-soaked bread to their dogs or given as alms to less fortunate or poor human. Alms were clothing, food, or money that is given to poor people: In the past, people thought it was their religious duty to give alms to the poor. Trenchers were clearly the forerunner of our open-face sandwiches.

I want a trencher!

Quote from: crackerjack on July 26, 2010, 12:37:42 PM

That's funny; I just recently saw a reference to those in a book, Fool by Christopher Moore.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

more importantly why does zalanthas not have hummus
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

July 26, 2010, 03:38:01 PM #20 Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 03:43:08 PM by Reiteration
I don't see how a sandwich can be anachronistic. Maybe if it was made from mayo or something, but a sandwich doesn't seem complex enough to be anachronistic.

Anachronistic overrules innovation?

You are holding:
A couple of pieces of mouldy spotted bread
A gooey piece of meat

Think:  "I'll stick two pieces of bread around this gooey stuff, that way I don't have to get my hands all sticky!"
Bam, fucking sandwiches.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Quote from: X-D on July 26, 2010, 12:27:47 PM
As I said, some of the first instances, 7-10k years ago were meat between TWO pieces of flatbread.

And though, because it was a different time and english did not even exist, it was called something else, it still was in fact a sandwich.

We, on the other hand speak english, not sirihish or allundean or what have you, things must be described  in english, and since we are the ones reading it, it is not in any way anachronistic to use the term sandwich to describe any number of sandwich like items. In fact, the use of words easily understandable by all has in fact been the reason for THOUSANDS of rejected char apps, items and more throughout the history of this game up to present day.

This.... Plus, one of my favorite memories involved a sandwich. Back in.... 2001? It was something only made by KAdian NPC cooks. My boss gave one to me, and I assumed my PC didn't know what it was called. She called it "meatbread".

I miss sandwiches, and I don't think we need a different word to reefer to something that we already know a word for.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Redacted.  I was being a dick.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

The problem isn't the food type; it's that it uses a word invented in the 1800s and that we don't find in medievalist geek-lit.  That particular word is too jarring for a lot of us.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on July 26, 2010, 04:03:43 PM
The problem isn't the food type; it's that it uses a word invented in the 1800s and that we don't find in medievalist geek-lit.  That particular word is too jarring for a lot of us.

The large majority of words in the game didn't exist in a very recognizable form, if at all, in medievalist geek-lit.  Unless we want to speak like this, "Syððan wæs geworden þæt he ferde þurh þa ceastre and þæt castel," we're going to have to accept that we're modern people using modern language to communicate ideas and mental pictures.

Quote from: WagonsHo on July 26, 2010, 04:06:19 PM
The large majority of words in the game didn't exist in a very recognizable form, if at all, in medievalist geek-lit.  Unless we want to speak like this, "Syððan wæs geworden þæt he ferde þurh þa ceastre and þæt castel," we're going to have to accept that we're modern people using modern language to communicate ideas and mental pictures.

In a hole in the ground lived a hobbit.

Which is almost a counterexample, actually. But you get the idea.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on July 26, 2010, 04:19:55 PM

I see we have varying ideas of what medievalist geeks read.  ;)

Quote from: WagonsHo on July 26, 2010, 04:25:13 PM
Quote from: brytta.leofa on July 26, 2010, 04:19:55 PM

I see we have varying ideas of what medievalist geeks read.  ;)

Now if we were talking about medievalist nerds...  ;D

I don't see what's so bad about sandwiches.  It wouldn't break my immersion to see a PC eating a sandwich.  Maybe it would if it came with a side of "french tubers," though.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on July 26, 2010, 12:30:23 PM

Maybe you should increase the value of bugs and grubs to make it more attractive to food-gathering foragers to collect them and get them into the shops?  They certainly exist in the game.. I have had characters that lived their whole lives off scavenged handfuls of worms and ants and pallid grubs, with an occasional tuber or fruit for variety.  They were elves and mutants, but I don't think that should matter.. the food type in question is pervasive.. forest, grass, or desert sand or cave..  you can find bugs and grubs :)
If procrastination  is really so easy, why aren't more people doing it yet?

July 26, 2010, 05:48:15 PM #30 Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 05:52:23 PM by Reiteration
Quote from: Samira on July 26, 2010, 05:21:51 PM
I don't see what's so bad about sandwiches.  It wouldn't break my immersion to see a PC eating a sandwich.  Maybe it would if it came with a side of "french tubers," though.

The skinny, zit-faced lad tells you, in lisp-accented Sirihish:
   "Would you like tubers with that?"
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Sandwiches were invented by king louie the... something.

He  had a chef make it so that he could have a full meal, but still play cards. They were made in a primative time. Why are they... that big word?
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Anarchy is slowly descending.  I love sandwiches.  What's next, the systematic destruction and erasure of pies too?
The jig is up, the news is out, they've finally found me
the renegade, who had it made, retrieved for a bounty
nevermore to go astray, the judge'll have revenge today
On the wanted man

Only two pages, alas, I have fallen in love with this thread.

Quote from: Styx on July 26, 2010, 06:04:57 PM
Anarchy is slowly descending.  I love sandwiches.  What's next, the systematic destruction and erasure of pies too?

Dear god, the day they remove ginka pie...
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Quote from: Reiteration on July 26, 2010, 06:22:09 PM
Quote from: Styx on July 26, 2010, 06:04:57 PM

Dear god, the day they remove ginka pie...

Will be a sad day indeed.
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Quote from: Fredd on July 26, 2010, 05:55:41 PM
Sandwiches were invented by king louie the... something.

He  had a chef make it so that he could have a full meal, but still play cards. They were made in a primative time. Why are they... that big word?

Earl of Sandwich.

This has me  wanting a sandwich IRL. Only I don't have any meat or cheese.... Only bread.

Can I make a sandwich out of bread and bread?

craft slice 2.slice into sandwich
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Call them sand witches, because they were first invented by a lone witch to keep sand out of his meat.

Quote from: Yam on July 26, 2010, 08:10:53 PM
Call them sand witches, because they were first invented by a lone witch to keep sand out off of his meat.

Fixed. And i agree! heh.
They wont be eaten in tuluk for that reason then.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: tortall on July 26, 2010, 07:53:04 PM
This has me  wanting a sandwich IRL. Only I don't have any meat or cheese.... Only bread.

Dear Tortall,

Yes! You can make a sandwich of bread and bread! People destitute enough have been doing so for years! As to what to call this marvelous innovation, there's already even a name for it! A wish sandwich. You put two pieces of bread together and wish there was something between them!

I remember having seen cream puffs and 'sandwich' like desserts in Arm too.  Why is meat between hearty bread ostracized, but sugary cream between sweet bread not?  

Food falling into the 'sandwich' category is too obvious and historical of a preparation of food to ban because a few people don't like the word 'sandwich'.  Since we are using modern English for our names and descriptions of things, it seems to me the word 'sandwich' shouldn't be banned, at worst just the food items that seem too modern.  But in that case you might as well ban sliced bread.. with sliced bread existing in the world, its only natural to think of putting something between two slices and eating it, in my view.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on July 26, 2010, 09:59:44 PM
Quote from: tortall on July 26, 2010, 07:53:04 PM

Dear Tortall,

Yes! You can make a sandwich of bread and bread! People destitute enough have been doing so for years! As to what to call this marvelous innovation, there's already even a name for it! A wish sandwich. You put two pieces of bread together and wish there was something between them!

It reminds me of bread and pull it. :(

I don't know. I don't find any words 'too' anything. Unless you said "roman nose", in which case aquiline's a better descriptor ... but is there truly one for ... sandwich?

???
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Seriusly though. Are Erdlu good for anything OTHER then meat?

Quote from: Fredd on July 26, 2010, 11:32:55 PM
Well...

...eggs
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

EDS.

And wtf, sandwiches got pulled from the game.. seems a bit silly to me. Never had a erdlu and cheese sandwich ruin MY immurzzzzuns.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

July 27, 2010, 04:54:31 AM #47 Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 04:57:55 AM by Ashes

Bait.

I say we call them "stuffed bread."

A loaf of stuffed brown bread sits here, lookin' mighty tasty.  Mmm-hmmm!

Licking your lips, you look at a loaf of stuffed brown bread.
Crusty brown bread has been cut into a wide bowl and stuffed with all sorts of tasty stuff.  You can see erdlu, silt horror meat, diced gaj tentacles, mekillot milk cheese, and a whole fried Roc egg.  It has been generously seasoned with ground bahamet shell, intermingled with what could be finely-grated necker ears.  The entirety steams amiably, and it smells divine.
she said slow down this train
slow down the iron that runs in my veins

Even though I'm a newish player, two of my characters have had sandwiches, and I thought it was ok. It didn't break my experience of the game, although I do tend to make my characters treat such things as exotic.

Then again, I don't really know anything about the history of the sandwich, so it could be like having french tubers.

Now I'm confused.  ???
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

I wholeheartedly agree!

Until the stuffed crust pizzas are implemented, that is.
Quote from: Return of the King (1980)
It's so easy not to try,
Let the world go drifting by--
If you never say, "Hello,"
You won't have to say, "Good Bye."

While I agree with everything in favor of the sandwich not being anachronistic, I kind of do like the world where the sandwich was never invented. It is the small things like this that seperate my world from the game. Sort of like how apples don't exist.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

Quote from: Bogre on July 26, 2010, 03:26:24 PM

Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Bogre on July 26, 2010, 03:26:24 PM

The same reason Zalanthas doesn't have chickpeas.

I think sandwiches are no big loss. I don't think it's the word "sandwich" or what the concept of a sandwich is, but I think that it is somewhat out of place since bread isn't really a staple food in a lot of Zalanthas, so it wouldn't really have the opportunity to catch on as a concept.

Quote from: Nyr on July 26, 2010, 12:20:09 PM
Quote from: Marauder Moe on July 26, 2010, 11:41:30 AM
I kind of agree that sandwiches are a bit of an anachronistic/Western food, though.  Zalanthas tends to have a more Middle-Eastern/African theme, and as such I think portable food would more likely resemble pita pockets, wraps, and kebabs.

Agreed, definitely.  Finding Zalanthan words and cooking styles to emulate those from a Middle-Eastern, African, or tribal theme would be awesome.  The only wraps we have are facewraps, and we don't have tacos either for obvious reasons.

Aye, use words like "sandwich," and you may die.  Run, and you may live...at least for a while.  And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willing to trade ALL the days from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies...

What was it Roland called them....Popkins?
Lizzie:

First it was the sammiches.. then it was the Kanks... now it's the sammiches again..

does that mean they might bring the Kanks back again one day?  (smirks)
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Everybody please tell me how much you hate the word "roti."  Too desperately obscure?  Brings up images of severed tongues?

Personally I think "flatbread" is fine.  Rolled flatbread, stuffed flatbread, folded flatbread, wrapped in flatbread, etc.

To be honest, I don't care if they are called a Royal with cheese, long as they exist.
Lizzie:

Quote from: Marauder Moe on July 27, 2010, 10:40:49 AM
Personally I think "flatbread" is fine.  Rolled flatbread, stuffed flatbread, folded flatbread, wrapped in flatbread, etc.

I think that's cool.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on July 27, 2010, 10:33:07 AM
Everybody please tell me how much you hate the word "roti."  Too desperately obscure?  Brings up images of severed tongues?

I have never heard it til now.

July 27, 2010, 11:02:11 AM #61 Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 11:04:10 AM by brytta.leofa
Okay, now I need a Zalanthized version of cheese-whiz.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on July 27, 2010, 10:40:49 AM

My only issue with that is... isn't flatbread the kind of bread you're making it from?  If you're crafting with slices of a crusty loaf of bread, you can't turn it into flatbread just 'cause you put it with chalton steak, onions, and cheese-food-product.

Well, yes.  Just figure that if Zalanthans want portable food, though, they use flatbread, not slices from big loafs of bread.

One of the big things that made the Dark Sun setting ground breaking back in the day was the fact that is went out of its way to draw upon non-European mythology for its inspiration. North african, mesoamerican and mesopotamian influences strongly shaped the cultures and feel of the Tablelands, with each of the several city-states embodying the 'feel' of a particular region on Earth.

This lack of eurocentrism, I feel (and this is my own opinion), has been held over into Armageddon, and will continue to be into Arm.2 (from what sneak-peeks I've seen so far). It's this aspect of being divorced from generic european fantasy tropes, or really anything explicitly Western that sets the ravaged world of Zalanthas apart from Middle Earth or Faerûn.

How does this relate to sandwiches? Sandwiches are a lazy stopgap that really lets down the effort elsewhere in the game to make the theme unique, this isn't of course specific only to sandwiches, I've seen other items in game that have boggled my mind, but we can do better than sandwiches. Wraps, pitas, naan, even trenchers - Western food is boring, we can do better.

Vietnamese - Banh Mi
Greek Santouits
Hebrew - Harikh
I'd keep looking but my employer would fail to appreciate the value of this exercise
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: BleakOne on July 27, 2010, 05:49:08 AM
Even though I'm a newish player, two of my characters have had sandwiches, and I thought it was ok. It didn't break my experience of the game, although I do tend to make my characters treat such things as exotic.

Then again, I don't really know anything about the history of the sandwich, so it could be like having french tubers.

Now I'm confused.  ???

There are not the sandwiches you are looking for.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

You craft the bread, cheese, and chalton meat into a Philly Cheese Banh Mi.

I shall use a masterwork craft to invent the Zalanthan version of the KFC Double Down. Delicious bamuk bacon and cheese sandwiched between two fried scrab streaks. The cardiologists will love me.

FYI: Before sandwiches were invented by that king loui guy They made things called 'trenchers'

You hollow out a bagguette of bread and fill it with like a beef and barely stew, or something similar.

midevil subway yo.

Most...Useless...Thread....Ever....

....After...All...The....Other....Most...Useless...Thread...Ever..That...The...GDB....Has.....
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Then....Stop....Reading....It....And....Let....The....Rest....Of....

Us.....Have.....Our....Fun....

Replying to the most useless reply ever....
Lizzie:

Okay you fuckers, The Ellipses Police called and want you to cut it the fuck out.

And get back on fucking task.  SAMMICHES, BITCHES.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Sandwiches never broke my emmersion. Most of the things in the Silver Ginka however...
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Gypsies not acting gypsy break my immurzunz, elves ignoring their tribe break my immurzunz, half-giants  that are smarter than most humans break my immurzuns, people that ignore danger break my immurzunz. Sammiches though, innocent. Immuzunz safe.

I can't help but imagine that scene from Monsters Inc where the monster has the kids sock stuck to his fur, except it's a big, bone-clad warrior with a sandwich.
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

July 27, 2010, 09:01:34 PM #74 Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 09:07:58 PM by Calypso
Hmn.  so then if sandwich category food isn't excluded, just anything served between two european style bread slices or with the word sandwich in the name.. I know what I need to do.

Invent the pizza wrap! ;)

A large round of flatbread is here, slathered in a paste of ashfruit puree and topped with a yellowish cheese and slices of tandu sausage.  It has been erbaked and fills the air with a mouth-watering aroma...

I think a calzone qualifies as a pizza wrap.

I don't understand why everyone is so hung up on earth history and language.
With pointy eared guys running around on a hot desert world with mind powers...
Zalanthas sounds more like Vulcan than earth to me.

So a quick lookup of my favorite so far (meat bread) in the Vulcan dictionary gives:
kahm = meat
kap = bread

So stuff your face with a kahmkap and be happy.

Sirihish word for Sandwich could be any crazy letters pressed together, it is not equal to the English word for Sandwich, the game is interpreting and translating the text between the player and their character. Just because you see your character speaking English words, doesn't mean they aren't speaking completely different-sounding words appropriate for that language.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Quote from: Reiteration on July 28, 2010, 12:53:08 AM
Sirihish word for Sandwich could be any crazy letters pressed together, it is not equal to the English word for Sandwich, the game is interpreting and translating the text between the player and their character. Just because you see your character speaking English words, doesn't mean they aren't speaking completely different-sounding words appropriate for that language.

Perfect example. Ask a dwarf to say something to your human pc in that dwarf language of theres.

That's what sirihish would sound to us i'm betting.

What about the chicken nugget equivalents and potato chips?

Raptor nuggets. I lurve'm.

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on July 28, 2010, 04:05:22 PM

Me too. <3

There's kalan chips.
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on July 28, 2010, 05:00:19 PM
Quote from: Majikal on July 28, 2010, 04:05:22 PM

Me too. <3

Definitely the best gameworld food behind a nice MH sandwich.
There is only one boog.

I had a pc that had Champagne in game.

Now that was unique.

Quote from: Fredd on July 31, 2010, 12:05:50 AM
I had a pc that had Champagne in game.

Now that was unique.

And just as anachronistic as the term "sandwich"  ;)
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

I vote for the death of high heels, stiletto heels and all non sandal fashionable shoe while we're at it.  It's almost like a book burning.
The jig is up, the news is out, they've finally found me
the renegade, who had it made, retrieved for a bounty
nevermore to go astray, the judge'll have revenge today
On the wanted man

Also, all instances of Thong should be removed, since that was not named till around 1939.

As well as the word Mohawk when referring to a hair style...Oh, and Dreads, Dreadlocks, all of which are terms less then 100 years old. And Mohawk refers to real life native americans. Far more anachronistic then Sandwich, which is a good 200+ years old. Come to think of it, other then braids, most hairstyles mentioned in game are anachronistic terms.

I tell ya, if we start removing words and terms that are less then 500 years old from the game...it is going to be a really odd looking mud soon.

Lizzie:

Quote from: X-D on August 05, 2010, 07:36:33 PM
since that was not named till around 1939.

But not after the Earl of Thong, for crying out loud.

True, it was from the Duke of Thong.
Lizzie:

Quote from: X-D on August 05, 2010, 07:36:33 PM
I tell ya, if we start removing words and terms that are less then 500 years old from the game...it is going to be a really odd looking mud soon.

Man, I sure do love a good slippery slope argument.

I would frame it this way:  Some people are bothered by sammiches.  So far nobody's (seriously) complaining about the netherwear.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 06, 2010, 08:22:25 AM
I would frame it this way:  Some people are bothered by sammiches.  So far nobody's (seriously) complaining about the netherwear.

I'm just waiting for someone to submit a KFC doubledown with a 1% likelihood of killing you.

It should also apply the "stained" tag to your gloves when you eat or taste it.   :D

Quote from: Marauder Moe on August 06, 2010, 09:00:31 AM
It should also apply the "stained" tag to your gloves when you eat or taste it.   :D

It should apply the "stained" tag to any tattoo or scar you have on your face.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Should also apply a scent:

He smells like grease and loneliness.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on August 06, 2010, 09:00:31 AM
The thong?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Actually, thong always bothered me more then sandwich ever could. I mean, on a scale of 1-100, 100 being Meh, might break my immursion for 2 seconds, Thong rates around 6 and sandwich around .007.

Slippery slope arguement...Heh. I just find that ridding the game of anachronistic words to be a poor use of staff time. Specialy ones like sandwich and the what was there, maybe 8 sandwich items ever craftable in game? And 6 players that even knew the recipes?

It was not a slippery slope arguement, it was a sarcastic statement with a mildly humorous attempt to point at the silliness of it all. If I'd have drawn it into a cartoon it would be called satire.
Lizzie:

Your premise is that because one anachronistic term is/was removed, the staff must now spend a lot of time to remove them all.  Satire or not, it absolutely is a "slippery slope" argument.

The good news is that we're not ridding the game of anachronistic words (which would be a poor use of staff time), just enforcing a policy made years ago on one word's usage on items in-game that was not definitive in enforcement.  It's not a big deal and was a simple fix that took minutes to do.  I appreciate your concern (sarcastic, satirical, or otherwise), but I think it is ill-founded; no player or staffer is going on the war path here.  One thing was fixed.  Nothing else was touched.

Since the OP concern has been addressed and replacement recipes are going in, I'm going to clog this thread with cholesterol.