Author Topic: What are you currently watching?  (Read 279004 times)

Gunnerblaster

Re: What are you currently watching?
« Reply #3300 on: November 27, 2019, 11:14:05 PM »

I am thoroughly enjoying this, more so than the movies.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Laura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #3301 on: November 28, 2019, 07:40:27 PM »
Watchmen, His Dark Materials, and The Mandalorian are all top notch.
+1 for Watchmen. Haven't seen the other two yet.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #3302 on: November 29, 2019, 07:12:19 AM »
I'm really enjoying the Mandalorian. It's like watching something I've already seen in a way I never knew I wanted it. The story is simple, straightforward. Kind of cheesy in a way that reminds me of 90's TV. But it's both charming and badass. I'm really surprised at how much I'm enjoying it because I've felt pretty meh about Star Wars for over 10 years now.

Barsook

• The Sense of Openness
« Reply #3303 on: December 22, 2019, 08:26:10 PM »

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #3304 on: December 25, 2019, 12:15:18 AM »

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Akaramu

« Reply #3305 on: December 25, 2019, 09:28:15 AM »
Speaking of the new Witcher show... how is it?

valeria

• I have a writing page.
« Reply #3306 on: December 25, 2019, 10:06:42 AM »
I enjoyed it and was pleasantly surprised, except by the CG, which wasn't super great at spots.  I think Henry Cavill really nailed Geralt.
A Kuraci regular shouts, in sirihish:
     "Bad move, fool!"
A Kuraci regular slashes a filthy grey rat on its body.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #3307 on: December 25, 2019, 10:29:08 AM »
The wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff was confusing until we figured out what was going on after ep 3. They super dropped the ball on making people that are supposed to age actually look older. The first episode isn't too great either. BUT then it picks up steam and gets really enjoyable. Especially when they introduce Dandelion and you have him to offset Sir Grizzled Snowflake. Even if Dandelion is another example of a guy that shoulda aged a LOT more to reflect the passage of time!

100% worth a watch all the same. TBH I'm considering a rewatch now that I understand the story better.
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #3308 on: December 25, 2019, 03:27:06 PM »
Speaking of the new Witcher show... how is it?
I found it pretty enjoyable. I had to remind myself that this was based off of an interpretation of the books, and had to separate my expectations from the games vs what they were interpreting from the novels.

As Delirium mentioned, I was a little confused by the way the show jumps between 3 different characters, at different times, but doesn't really clue the viewer in until around episode 3.

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #3309 on: December 25, 2019, 09:56:16 PM »
Theres some silly lines and hardcore cheese at parts in The Witcher that made me roll my eyes. I give it a 6 or 7 out of 10. I really liked the first couple eps then it lost me later. There are actually a couples hints the first episode of the timelines, but i didnt pick up on them and thought everything was happening at the same time.

Mr. Robot concluded its series finale and is easily one of my favorite shows ever. Up there with Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul, Fargo, and The Leftovers. Really nailed the ending.

The Expanse season 4 really improves on the 4th book by adding elements from Gods of Risk and setting up the 5th season. I loved it but I must admit I feel like they could have had a couple more episodes to delve into more of the new world stuff. The sense of discovery and awe of an alien planet with alien life felt a bit rushed.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 10:12:16 PM by RogueGunslinger »

Hauwke

« Reply #3310 on: December 25, 2019, 10:30:12 PM »
The Witcher seemed like it was just setting up backgrounds for everyone. Yennefer was set up and shown who she is over the however many hundred years she did it through the course of the season.

I think season 2 is where it will kick off and be truly enjoyable, at least I hope so because Henry really did nail Geralt.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #3311 on: December 27, 2019, 08:51:02 PM »
Chapter 8 of the Mandalorian is SO GOOD you guys!
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick

boog

« Reply #3312 on: December 28, 2019, 12:57:23 PM »
I didn't like The Witcher. Almost at all.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

tiny rainbow

« Reply #3313 on: January 02, 2020, 01:52:49 AM »
"A time of ash shall mark the rise of the cities. Days of old shall be new once more."

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #3314 on: January 05, 2020, 01:20:37 AM »
Just finished the first season of Steins;Gate including ep 25 and the movie, and 23b. It is a masterpiece. I love the love in this anime. Both what is put into it and contained within it. I almost didnt want to start the next season because it ends so perfectly. But i couldnt deprive myself of these amazing characters.

Having watched considerable portions of the dub as well i feel confident saying it is the best dubbing job i have ever seen in an anime. Amazing.

Akaramu

« Reply #3315 on: January 06, 2020, 06:50:47 AM »
Just finished the first season of Steins;Gate including ep 25 and the movie, and 23b. It is a masterpiece. I love the love in this anime. Both what is put into it and contained within it. I almost didnt want to start the next season because it ends so perfectly. But i couldnt deprive myself of these amazing characters.

Having watched considerable portions of the dub as well i feel confident saying it is the best dubbing job i have ever seen in an anime. Amazing.

I haven't watched the Anime, but I read the visual novel (it's on Steam, btw) which is also excellent and very well translated.

Just started watching Impulse yesterday - it's about a teenage girl who finds out (in a rather traumatic situation) that she can teleport back to her room when scared. It's pretty good so far (3 episodes in).

tiny rainbow

« Reply #3316 on: January 09, 2020, 06:45:47 PM »

I liked these <3
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 07:02:09 PM by tiny rainbow »
"A time of ash shall mark the rise of the cities. Days of old shall be new once more."

Marauder Moe

« Reply #3317 on: January 13, 2020, 02:35:26 PM »

(Netflix)

I have never seen anything so ludicrously surreal yet medically accurate.  It's like a biochemistry undergrad's fever dream.  The concept is that cells in your body (mostly circulatory and immune system cells) are anime people with personalities and jobs to do around the city/body.  Despite the lack of an over-arcing plot, the way it wholeheartedly embraces the premise and rams depth into the characters makes it weirdly compelling.  Also moderately educational.

Netflix defaults to Japanese voice with subtitles, but the English dubs are fine, filled with a lot of the common pro English voice actors.

Hauwke

« Reply #3318 on: January 13, 2020, 02:56:20 PM »
So it's Japanese Osmosis Jones? Sick.

tiny rainbow

« Reply #3319 on: January 13, 2020, 03:53:14 PM »

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtAciEfQHAwvs1hIkWN_YNpD8E4sno--C "Once upon a time... Life"

The song is at least half of how cute it is :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 04:09:12 PM by tiny rainbow »

Akaramu

« Reply #3320 on: January 13, 2020, 04:57:09 PM »
Started season 2 of Impulse and it keeps getting better and better! Definitely recommend!

Despite the (realistic) teenage characters, it's an adult show with some compelling grown-up characters. Quite a 'realistic' look at superpowers and people's reactions to them, as well. Nothing is glorified. They come with more caveats than benefits.

mansa

« Reply #3321 on: January 13, 2020, 05:10:09 PM »
I watched The Boys and then Titans season 2 and then The Expanse season 4 and realized they were all filmed in Toronto.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Hauwke

« Reply #3322 on: January 31, 2020, 09:09:32 PM »
I just finished watching the last half of the final season of Bojack Horseman.

I'm not sure how I feel about it all. Does he truly deserve the awful things that happened to him? If so, is it because he did awful things? Is it because he just got given a shitty hand?

Could all that happen to me? Could I spiral out of control in the same way as Bojack, hurting everyone around me? I think I could, if a few specific things happened, twirling away into nothing.

Goddamn, that was a good show.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #3323 on: February 13, 2020, 04:22:50 AM »
Jojo Rabbit is phenomenal. One of the best drama/comedy movies I've ever seen.

Shaydee

« Reply #3324 on: February 13, 2020, 06:03:30 PM »
Finally got to watch Godzilla: King of the Monsters and I loved it.

I am not sure what exactly it is about live action giant monster fight scenes that gets me so pumped up, but whatever it is, I can dig it.

I imagine the way I am watching live action monsters fight scenes is like how people who are really into MMA and things like that, watch those fights. I just get so pumped up! Kong Skull Island, Pacific Rim, Godzilla. I just love. them. all.

I have basically been playing it on repeat since I watched it yesterday.. Mostly because they took The Meg off of HBO Now, and that's what I really wanted to watch. When we first brought our son home from the hospital (I say when we first brought him home, but really this went on for basically the first two months of his life) I literally watched The Meg and Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom on repeat all day everyday, and all he did was eat and sleep on me. Now that he is older and awake I wanted to watch it again, but nope. No giant prehistoric sharks for us I guess.