Author Topic: What are you currently watching?  (Read 240000 times)

Cind

Re: What are you currently watching?
« Reply #3225 on: January 22, 2019, 03:58:57 AM »
I watched an hour of that video. Good lord. I have never thought about Bismuth like that. Nonracist conservatives tend to be colorblind.

I remember learning about the fact that black people in America had been slaves in third grade, and how shocked and horrified I was that that had happened. For a long time after, I firmly believed that things like fascism had been gone and that their dregs had left the developed world during the 80's. Apart from the fact that every black girl in my school was better in physical education class than every latino girl, than every white girl, than me, with the only exceptions weaker than me being the full-blooded asians, there didn't really seem to be a difference between the races that you could quantify. White kids sometimes did better in class than the black kids, but I attributed that to socioeconomics stemming from a couple hundred years of oppression and not having two cents to rub together all that time, which it obviously was. In terms of grades, there was one kid who did better than me, a white boy who could beat me at math after 10th grade geometry class was over. That is partly because I work too damn hard and am too damn frightened of educational failure--- its one of the worst kinds of failure in my culture. It was also very important to me--- to do my best, make the best grades I could. I was really good at literature class. All I have to do to write a poem is sit down for thirty seconds and I'll have six lines. Language was not hard either. Took a lot of spanish; have had a few spanish and french thoughts before. Its so cool when that happens.
Playing something new could be just what you need!

Cind

« Reply #3226 on: January 22, 2019, 05:56:13 AM »
I always embarrassed myself in that dangit gym. Never did a thing right in there.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #3227 on: January 22, 2019, 08:19:33 PM »

I've noticed a handful of Steven Universe fans in this community, and I wanted to post this as to why some of us (including myself) are not a fan of the show! I do not mean this as an offense, but rather a legitmate critique of Steven Universe. :)

Edit: The title of the video may be a bit harsh actually lol sorry about that!

Hell's bells this video is two hours.  What brings a person to produce a TWO HOUR VIDEO about why a cartoon is bad?  This thing has a new clip every few seconds too.  This must have taken DAYS to edit.  WHY?!  Also, why am I watching a 2-hour video about why a show I don't watch is bad?  I'm going to stop.

Anyway, my latest Netflix:

FYRE: The Greatest Party That Never Happened - Watching entitled rich people fail due to their own hubris and end up duping a bunch of other entitled rich kids made me very happy.  Not terribly profound, but very amusing.

A.I.C.O. - Roller-skating mercenaries fight a world-eating blob and a young highschool girl gets caught up in an attempt to save the planet.  Pretty average for an anime.  Not bad, but not great.

The Beyond - Found-footage scifi movie about a wormhole appearing near Earth and a trans-humanist plan to explore it.  Presents interesting concepts, but without satisfying follow-through.

The Good Place - This show is excellent.  There's no good way to explain why without spoilers and/or appearing like I've lost it, but trust me it's great.  Everyone should watch.

Mute - A pretty good crime noir story set in a well-envisioned science fiction setting.

Bird Box - Pretty solid horror movie.  Characters were maybe a little too quick on the uptake, but I like how the movie explored a lot of the logistics of a world where it's dangerous to use your eyes.  I think this would have been received way better if "A Quiet Place" wasn't a movie that came out recently.

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #3228 on: January 23, 2019, 01:27:44 AM »
Birdbox was good. A lot to try to develop in a movie, but good.

The Good Place is hilarious.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Medena

« Reply #3229 on: February 01, 2019, 05:55:28 PM »
Today I watched Episode 1 Season 1 of GoT.   66 episodes left to re-watch.  72 days till Season 8 begins.  The excitement grows.

Winter is Coming *************** Winter is Coming *************** Winter is Coming
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 10:21:57 PM by Medena »
Quote from: J S Bach
If it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #3230 on: February 01, 2019, 09:52:15 PM »
Star Trek Discovery is good.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #3231 on: February 01, 2019, 11:29:00 PM »

I'd love to watch it, but I've taken a principled stand against Balkanized streaming services.

Akaramu

« Reply #3232 on: February 02, 2019, 06:37:17 AM »
I need something new to watch but I dunno what.  :-\ I tried a bunch of shows I didn't like... either they just don't grab me, or the humor isn't my thing, or nothing really seems to happen, or the characters / plot are beyond unbelievable. The last series I really enjoyed was Dark (the German one). Stranger Things was too much of a kiddie show for my taste, the MCs in Dark are older.

Recommendations pweez? My all time favorites are...

Bates Motel
Dexter
Breaking Bad
The Expanse
Black Mirror
Desperate Housewives (a guilty pleasure, I mainly enjoyed the wittiness and dark humor of it)

I like dark stuff with deep, believeable characters and a believable, non-ridiculous plot (except Desperate Housewives, where it was totally my thing for some reason). Also stuff has to happen, House of Cards for instance was too slow and political for my taste. I don't watch Game of Thrones anymore, the plot strayed too far from the books imo. I want the next book already!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 06:42:12 AM by Akaramu »

flurry

« Reply #3233 on: February 02, 2019, 09:55:09 AM »
Recommendations pweez?

You might like some of these:

Fargo (anthology series with 3 seasons so far -- all excellent)
Killing Eve
Orphan Black
Succession

Also if you never saw LOST it's a fun ride, but it gets pretty convoluted. A lot of very memorable characters and moments, though.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Akaramu

« Reply #3234 on: February 02, 2019, 11:31:03 AM »
Recommendations pweez?

You might like some of these:

Fargo (anthology series with 3 seasons so far -- all excellent)
Killing Eve
Orphan Black
Succession

Also if you never saw LOST it's a fun ride, but it gets pretty convoluted. A lot of very memorable characters and moments, though.

Thanks! I actually watched all of LOST and loved it (even though the ending was weird), I forgot to put it on my list. Watched a good chunk of Orphan Black as well until the male clones started showing up and things became increasingly confusing and complicated for the sake of making them complicated, at least that was my impression. I'll check out the others  ;D

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #3235 on: February 02, 2019, 11:02:10 PM »

I'd love to watch it, but I've taken a principled stand against Balkanized streaming services.

Yarr, this be what the high seas be for, me heartie.

I need something new to watch but I dunno what.  :-\ I tried a bunch of shows I didn't like... either they just don't grab me, or the humor isn't my thing, or nothing really seems to happen, or the characters / plot are beyond unbelievable. The last series I really enjoyed was Dark (the German one). Stranger Things was too much of a kiddie show for my taste, the MCs in Dark are older.

Recommendations pweez? My all time favorites are...

Bates Motel
Dexter
Breaking Bad
The Expanse
Black Mirror
Desperate Housewives (a guilty pleasure, I mainly enjoyed the wittiness and dark humor of it)

I like dark stuff with deep, believeable characters and a believable, non-ridiculous plot (except Desperate Housewives, where it was totally my thing for some reason). Also stuff has to happen, House of Cards for instance was too slow and political for my taste. I don't watch Game of Thrones anymore, the plot strayed too far from the books imo. I want the next book already!

Better Call Saul
Fargo
Spartacus: Blood and Sand (get past the first 3 episodes, and it's one of the best shows ever made, after season 1 watch Gods of the Arena, then the rest)
Battlestar Galactica
Rome
Deadwood
The Wire

For more recent:
The Americans
Counterpart
Killing Eve

You have to get back into Game of Thrones. It's silly not to as the finale is this year and the books may never be finished.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 11:06:52 PM by RogueGunslinger »

Marauder Moe

« Reply #3236 on: February 03, 2019, 02:53:26 PM »
Better Call Saul is indeed almost as good as Breaking Bad.

Spartacus is in my top 10 shows of all time, if not top 5.  It's also one of the few series I have re-watched in entirety more than once.

Rome and Deadwood are also both really great HBO period shows, the latter having the best profanity in any TV show except for Spartacus.

I can't in good conscience recommend Battlestar Galactica, though.  It had some great parts, but some terrible parts, some boring parts, and a really disappointing ending.

If you're willing to go for some older sci-fi, Farscape and Babylon 5 both remain two of my all-time favorites.  Farscape hooked me pretty fast.  Babylon 5... the pilot is actually kind of terrible as is a lot of the first season.  The eventual payoff for the series is WELL WORTH IT, though.  Maybe find a "viewing guide" that can tell you which episodes to skip.

Akaramu

« Reply #3237 on: February 03, 2019, 05:27:55 PM »
Better Call Saul is indeed almost as good as Breaking Bad.

I LOVED the first Season! But then by the time I got around to watching Season 2, so much time had passed that I didn't remember some pretty important stuff that had happened and was completely lost and confused. For instance, there's a pretty long scene, without any dialogue, where Mike just... does something that makes zero sense if you don't remember Season 1 too well. I stopped watching after that. I should give it another try.

Will check out the other mentions, thanks!

Fathi

« Reply #3238 on: February 03, 2019, 06:21:23 PM »
You might like American Gods, Hannibal, and Pushing Dasies, Akaramu. Bryan Fuller does a lot of intriguing/cool character stories where a lot happens and the visuals are always great.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

lordcooper

« Reply #3239 on: February 04, 2019, 12:24:25 AM »
Seconding the recommendation for American Gods, it's fantastic.

I'd also strongly recommend Utopia (the UK / Channel 4 series, not the other horrible one that shares the name).  It hits some of the same notes at Black Mirror at it's best, with compelling antagonists I can't help but agree with on some level and a grim vision of the very near future.  It's stunningly beautiful to the point that almost any random frame could be used as a poster, has great writing and acting, and probably my favourite soundtrack from any TV show.  There's a bit of comedy spread throughout, but it's pitch black.  Also like three people in the world seem to have watched the fucking thing :(

The above videos don't spoil anything of importance and should give you an idea of whether it'd be your kind of thing.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Cind

« Reply #3240 on: February 04, 2019, 03:52:16 AM »
I've heard good things about Killing Eve.

I forced my family to watch the Superbowl. For a while it looked like California could take home the cup. But then a field goal dashed their chances of making a tie that could send them into overtime. The energy of the crowd and some of the commercials made it worth watching for people who don't usually watch football. When they made that field goal the Patriot fans went nuts; they'd probably been following the Patriots all year and knew what they were capable of. Man, what energy. And I loved that rendition of the national anthem.

The Rams were very good. I noticed they focused a lot of commentary on a player named Goff. New guy, I think.

I'm trying to find something new to watch; I'm actually thinking of watching some old movies I had as a kid on VHS tape, like The Swan Princess and Unico. I think there were like five Swan Princess movies and I had all of them; there was another series based on the dangerous toys for girls, that were sort of like primitive helicopters you launched into the air, but they looked like fairies sort of? They caused a lot of injuries and no one sells them anymore. I had like five of those things, and there was a show based on them. I wish I could remember what it was. I'll figure it out if I look up a list of banned toys from the 90's.

Culinary Critic

« Reply #3241 on: February 04, 2019, 08:43:55 PM »
Luther, season 5, episode 2.  This is an unbelievable British cop show.  Highly recommend if you haven't seen it yet.

Idris Elba is exceptional.

Cind

« Reply #3242 on: February 07, 2019, 10:26:23 PM »
I have a few unwatched anime and I'm trying to decide which to get started on, or to watch Space Dandy online. Stuff like Space Dandy and Pop Team Epic are totally my bag, because I'm getting old and I say stuff like that.

I also have portion each of Batman: The Animated Series, Thundercats, and He-Man. I really want to watch something I can knit to that doesn't require my attention and isn't We-Have-to-Save-the-World-This-is-Serious like a lot of today's cartoons are like. So, maybe Orco just accidentally turned to King of Eternia into an elephant. You know, no one's freaking out about it, they're just contacting each other to get together to figure it out. No freakin' crying about it.

On a side note, we need more mages in the game who are total screw-ups and blow shit up around them on accident, like -all the time.-

flurry

« Reply #3243 on: February 16, 2019, 10:05:54 AM »
Loving the Umbrella Academy series on Netflix so far. I read some of the comics when they first came out, and I love the weirdness of it.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Marauder Moe

« Reply #3244 on: February 23, 2019, 10:13:24 AM »
The Dragon Prince (Netflix, season 2) - Animated high-fantasy adventure series.  If you enjoyed the first season, this next installment is better tuned.  Possibly slower-paced, but packed with more answers and character development.  This is shaping up to be a truly wonderful series.

Look Who's Back (Netflix, German) - Adolf Hitler is mysteriously transported through time to 2014, where he's mistaken for a method-actor comedian.  I've never seen a movie that swung so far between utter hilarity and existential unease.  The fact that this movie is more relevant five years later (and for American audiences) is deeply disturbing.  Great watch, though.

lostinspace

« Reply #3245 on: February 23, 2019, 04:21:14 PM »
Letterkenny, I'm loving it and I'm hardly halfway through. I have caught myself saying 'eh' since watching lots of it though.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Marauder Moe

« Reply #3246 on: March 06, 2019, 02:38:38 PM »
The Umbrella Academy (Netflix series) - On the surface, it's a TV adaptation of an edgy/dark, X-men ripoff.  Despite a somewhat predictable over-arching plot, I thought it was REALLY enjoyable.  Most of the characters were really interesting and well-acted as they each went through their own personal character development.  The pacing was pretty good, though it does follow the recent Netflix standard pattern of ending each episode on some sort of a cliffhanger or big question/revelation to encourage you to binge the show.  If you like comic books and comic book movies, you will probably enjoy this too.

Russian Doll (Netflix series) - Natasha Lyonne basically plays her character from Orange is the New Black but stuck in Groundhog Day.  Is that a bad thing?  I didn't think so.

Behind the Curve (Netflix movie) - A documentary about the Flat Earth movement.  Though it does not attempt to provide a "balanced" viewpoint of their ideas, it does try to compassionately explain their history and motivations.

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #3247 on: March 08, 2019, 01:50:15 AM »
I've got Umbrella Academy on the back burner. Gonna spin it up, just as soon as I wrap up The Man in the High Castle, which is just really well done and enjoyable.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Laura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Jihelu

« Reply #3248 on: March 08, 2019, 01:10:02 PM »
I enjoyed watching Steven Universe but the plot shit they started doing towards the end really killed my vibe of wanting to watch it.

Bast

« Reply #3249 on: March 08, 2019, 04:20:34 PM »
Shameless plug..I am watching my podcasts first video episode.
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NibOJUYsTkQ&feature=youtu.be
Sorry just very excited and need to share. We are at https://candleorthenight.com/ if you like tabletop pod casts and starwars
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"