Weapon Skills

Started by Marc, July 10, 2003, 01:48:40 AM

Stop trying to ferociously guard your thread from being derailed anyway. Yeesh.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

The lean skinhead kicks marc in the head.
The lean skinhead waves.

as my spanish teacher realized our class was great at learning one word only while ignoring her in her opinion uncalmly.
"Calmence"
Veteran Newbie

Get a warrior, train with another warrior. Lets say you both use swords. Both of you use those swords. Now one of you switch weapons. The other keep the first one. It's very unlikely you well do ANY where near as good as you did before. Really... It's because of the weapon skills.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Now take a warrior.

Utilize that warriors skills.

See what branches in the first 10 days.

Then the first 20.

Then the first 30.

Then the first 40.

Then the first 50.

By now you MIGHT have branched a weaponskill.  Maybe.

I'm sure all your other skills have long since been branched out and those skills branched out.

Thanks for the insight though.  :P

Again.. not looking for speculation on this, just looking for an answer.
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

The answer as you just said... Was stated in your question. It is for BALANCE. Are you asking why it's for balance? It's so one class can't become uber powerful with everything. Are you asking what balance is? It's evening out all the classes so on a base level everything fairly fair.

Now, we aren't talking about branching. We are talking about getting good. It is really easy to get weapons skills up high. They rise quick. Now when they are high they might not rise as fast, but a good person with little room for improvement always improves slower. It's hard to be an uber warrior that can take on all sorts of other warriors at the same time, but it's not that hard to get good with your weapons. It doesn't go up that slow.

Creeper who thinks if your providing an answer to your question in your question you probably shouldn't be asking the question but answering others.
21sters Unite!

You can't use branching as an example since the caps aren't the same.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Creeper, you were not around when skill levels were visible.

I'm pretty sure you haven't been a coder for the mud.

And yes Carnage, I know the caps are different, but anyone who was around when skill levels were visible will testify that weaponskills rise much slower then the rest.  I'm willing to bet twice as slow if not more so.

Yes this could have been changed but I doubt it.  Very little with the combat code has been changed over the years outside of small tweeks (like making disarm much harder to pull off) or added features (like the cool stuff that can happen with kick now).

These are my assumptions based off my experiences with arm over the past decade.  I could be completely wrong, but my recent experiences with the combat code suggest I'm not.

Believe what you will, but your answer of balance does not incorporate my question of how skills are dispursed to me.

And since I fielded the question in Ask the Staff, unless you have something new to add outside of rebuffing the current stances (which mine, along with the others, have been established) maybe we can all wait for a voice of know how to put it to rest.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Marc.... Have you seen one of those stupid Apple Jacks Adds on TV?

(Waits for a reply of Yes, I hate those adds, I know everything they are going to say, before they say it.)

"THEY JUST DO." THERE ISN'T A REAL EXPANATION FOR IT, ESPECIALY WHEN YOU DON'T EXPLAIN ALL THAT YOU WANT TO KNOW.

Put this big mess all aside, and call it tops. We can't solve a problem that isn't real.

If that doesn't explain everything you wanted, here is another:

People like everything as it is right now, and don't want to change anthing for a couple of days. Wait till Saterday, or the next, and see if the staff change anything in the game. You will find an answer as you wait.

Finally, if you don't like that one, here is the last one:

Fhqwhgads, it's a real word....

Take your pick at either answer, or wait a very long time till the staff answers.

This IS a discussion board, I am tempted to call names now.

-Sandor

QuoteFhqwhgads, it's a real word....  

I've never heard of that word, where'd you get it from?

*laugh* I'm with guest..

wtf does Fhqwhgads mean?  :roll:

I don't know who he is.. but he probably is Fhqwhgads.
hang is actually...

I'm sorry, the feeling isn't mutual.  Mainly because of your long freakin' name.

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail9.html
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

I get the strong feeling that that is only funny with working speakers, Giant...  :cry:
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Um.  Yes.  Working speakers, functional headphones, an infinite number of monkeys, or some other form of sounds system generally does help...
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Allright... For as long as I've been playing this game (a few years now on and off) I still don't know how this branching thing works. Everyone speaks of it in terms of Days Played. I know that means the amount of hours you've put into your character in actually having them online but my question is... What the hell is with this 10 Day Branching stuff?  :shock:  :shock:

I won't lie, I've never had a char live to that much playing time. So I don't understand it... Do skills just appear because you've put 240 hours of playing time into a character? :shock:

Most of mine last a few days tops :P I'm the adventurous type.

Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "Pungee"
I won't lie, I've never had a char live to that much playing time. So I don't understand it... Do skills just appear because you've put 240 hours of playing time into a character? :shock:

I don't think so.  I think they are refering to the amount of time it will take an average character to get good enough for the skill to branch.  

For a completely ficticious example lets pretend that you have a guild that starts with Scan, and when they get Scan to 65% they branch search.  An average player who types "Scan" a couple times per IC day and maybe a little more often when in dangerous territory or on guard duty, will get to 65% in about 10 days, maybe 9 or 11 depending on his wisdom and how often he is in high-Scanning situations.  In general you would expect most characters from my imaginary guild to have branched Search by the time they are 10 or 11 days old, except for the few that never use the Scan skill.

A total twink who stands and types "Scan" every five minutes no matter what he is doing might think he'll branch much sooner, because he will Scan as much in 3 days of play time as an average player will in 10 days, but it doesn't work that way.  There are limits to how fast your skills can advance, so spamming constantly won't make you advance much faster.  Our Scan spammer might get to 65% and branch Search in 8 days instead of 10, but during those 8 days someone is sure to notice he is spamming the Scan skill.  That could lead to having his skill lowered, locked, losing karma or otherwise being being spanked.  So most players won't spam the skill and so won't branch the skill much earlier than the 10 day average.

It wouldn't be totally unreasonable for skills to auto-branch after a long time even if you didn't use them.  Maybe you are in my imaginary guild and you don't often have a legitimate reason to Scan, so by the time your character was 20 or 30 days old your Scan skill is still only at 23%, far to low to branch.  Your character doesn't use Scan, but he might find Search helpful and he does have the inate potential to learn Search.  It would be reasonble to get Search after 20 or 30 days even if your Scan skill never gets to 65%.

At least I that's how I think it works, I could be wildly off target.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

If you practice skills or similar skills then you will branch those skills faster, that is if they are allowed for your class.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.