Mul Mix

Started by 3kanks, June 26, 2010, 10:32:46 PM

Ask a phArmacist.

Or find out from a toxICologist.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Yeah, because a 35-year-old man who probably lost his virginity 20 years ago wouldn't have the faintest idea, ICly, and would naturally need to ask the kid sitting next to him at the bar, who is the 17-year-old dapple-nosed young lass.

I would say, instead of asking IC, to get yourself some of that stuff and examine it. The description explains how it's used. If it doesn't specify that it's used exclusively by women, I'd assume it can be used with at least some measure of efficiency by men, as well.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I've seen it used by men, women, its.  Ingested, smoked, snorted, cooked into food, applied topically.

It's a role-play tool that is not explained in the docs except for a line that reads: Babies happen. It's inevitable; mul mix isn't 100% fail-safe.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I always wondered about this myself, as I've heard it's for one or the other only, especially in RP and old board conversations.

I've also personally only seen a coded object of Mul Mix once IG since I started playing steadily in November. Maybe it should be more widely distributed to use as a roleplay tool? It's kind of like kohl-- people RP having it on, but I didn't know for a long time that it did in fact exist as an item that you can apply to your face IG that costs money. And I personally only really like to use things or have things my PC has paid the expense coin for.

Mul mix is both cheap and readily available in the two city states (at least). Seeing as it's an herb, you may want to seek out your friendly neighborhood herbalist.

Ah, mul mix. For a good percentage of my PCs, a packet of mul mix was as vital as a weapon, belt, waterskin, rope and food as far as starting gear goes. You never know when you're gonna need it!

During fades, I'd typically just junk my mul mix item with the command emote "using it as a contraceptive." Ultra vagueness is acceptable sometimes.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Mul mix. Can infact be found in shops in both Tuluk and Allanak. For a low amount of coins, and they got a unlimited stock of it.

Just gotta find the short description for the mix.

Damn you Zoltan! For beating me to it! =P
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Try it and find out!
-- Person A OOCs: I totally forgot if everyone is okay with the adult-rated emotes and so forth?

-- Person B OOCs: Does this count as sex or torture? I can't tell.

-- Person A OOCs: I'm going to flip coins now to decide.

Mul Mix = Nuvaring, condom, and pill. Anyway you want it. Thats the way you need it.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Now I want to try smoking it.

Quote from: Zoltan on June 27, 2010, 01:35:08 AM
During fades, I'd typically just junk my mul mix item with the command emote

Most types are edible, for the record.

Given that we, in 21st century Real Life, don't know how to make an ingestible male contraceptive, I think you'd be well-justified in assuming that mul mix only works on women.  If a healthy Zalanthan woman is having sex on a regular basis and using "mix" faithfully, I would expect her chances of pregnancy to be reduced to about 11% per 30 days.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on June 27, 2010, 09:42:05 AM
Quote from: Zoltan on June 27, 2010, 01:35:08 AM
During fades, I'd typically just junk my mul mix item with the command emote

Most types are edible, for the record.

Given that we, in 21st century Real Life, don't know how to make an ingestible male contraceptive, I think you'd be well-justified in assuming that mul mix only works on women.  If a healthy Zalanthan woman is having sex on a regular basis and using "mix" faithfully, I would expect her chances of pregnancy to be reduced to about 11% per 30 days.

I think given the equality in most matters of males/females in Zalanthas, as well as a lack of -other- non-ingested coded generally known contraception (unless I'm not looking in the right places to find snakeskin condoms, and I found mul mix easily enough) it's reasonable to assume contraception is controllable by either partner in a coupling.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on June 27, 2010, 09:42:05 AM
Given that we, in 21st century Real Life, don't know how to make an ingestible male contraceptive...

Male birth control pill soon a reality.

Besides, who says mul mix is hormonally based?  Maybe the herbs interact magically.  Or maybe it works in completely crazy and unexpected ways.  If dudes want to RP that taking mul mix works for them, that's fine by me.  But ultimately it's going to be the female who decides whether it worked or not, or even whether the mix SHE was on worked or not, even taking that into consideration.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

June 27, 2010, 09:59:16 AM #13 Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 10:04:24 AM by netflix
We, in the real world, can't pick a couple leaves off of on of dozens of different random trees and rub them together for a minute and suddenly be able to cure a poison.

I've asked the staff in the past. They've said that they purposely do not closely define who it works on or what the prevention rates are. That it is an rp tool and left up to the players to decide. It could work on men or women. It could work all the time or it could fail 1 time in 4. Maybe it could be taken by a woman in heavy doses and have it function as an abortion drug. It's up to the players involved. Yes, both players. Silly people who assume that apparently every (non mul) male in the Known is fertile.

The problem with things like this, so many things that the staff purposely leave vague, people will come along and express their opinion as gospel (and no, I'm not singling out anyone in this thread). The simple fact is, if it isn't in a doc or a help file, after all the years that the game has been running, it's exclusion is likely intended. Cause in a high fantasy world where some peoples idea of armor is a bra and thong, damn near anything is possible.

And, when in doubt about something not being mentioned in docs/help files, you're prolly better off asking in ask the staff, that way you can get fact, and not conjecture.
Squinting at the such-and-such dwarf, the so-and-so woman asks, in sirihish:
     "You put jam in your peenee hole to keep from making baby juice?"

Quote from: valeria on June 27, 2010, 09:57:16 AM

Male birth control pill soon a reality.

Sad but true story... after my brother my parents wanted one last child. And they were getting older. My dad had a tumor on his adrenal gland (benign.) Int he aftermath he took medication. He took it for years. There was no pregnancy. Later they learned that the medication acted as a male contraceptive.

Sorry that was tangential.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: netflix on June 27, 2010, 09:59:16 AM
I've asked the staff in the past. They've said that they purposely do not closely define who it works on or what the prevention rates are. That it is an rp tool and left up to the players to decide. It could work on men or women. It could work all the time or it could fail 1 time in 4. Maybe it could be taken by a woman in heavy doses and have it function as an abortion drug. It's up to the players involved. Yes, both players. Silly people who assume that apparently every (non mul) male in the Known is fertile.

Yeah.  The original post was a cute question, and the topic in general is amusing.

That being said, I agree with netflix.  Mul mix exists in the game as a role-play tool.  It exists so that individual players can decide whether or not they want to play the role of a parent or not.

Is anyone in the game free to mud sex?  Absolutely.  Is anyone required to play the role of a parent?  No, certainly not.  At any point in time, you're free to say that you've taken mul mix and are therefore temporarily/permanently infertile.  It's up to you if you want to play a parent or not.  Have one kid.  Have ten.  Have zero if you want to.  Your character is not a parent if you don't want them to be.  This is a game.
He said, "I don't fly coach, never save the roach."

I like chicken, I like liver, mul mix mul mix please deliver. ^_^
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

I'd say the description of mul mix IG implies a few things:
- Mul mix doesn't certainly work 100% of the time (it has the ability to work, though)
- When it works, it is a contraceptive. (obviously)
- Since it doesn't say which person should ingest a spoonful before intercourse, a male should be able to also.

A couple of things to help you:
- You can 'eat' mul mix.
- When you 'taste' mul mix, it tells you what it tastes like without consuming it.

Quote from: Marian Poppins ElkinhymA spoonful of mul mix keeps the population down.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on June 30, 2010, 01:17:32 PM
Quote from: Marian Poppins ElkinhymA spoonful of mul mix keeps the population down.

This really made me chuckle. :)

- Irulan
Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."
---
Inara: "Thank you for the wine. It's very... fresh."

Mal: "To Kaylee, and her inter-engine fermentation system."

Mul mix has saved my life, ICly.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.