City-elf playability changes?

Started by creepyguy, June 15, 2010, 01:45:35 PM

Spoon beat me to the pack animal.

Also, not all tents are created equal.

As to the last bit, city elves have grown soft, it is that simple.

And crowds? Come on, I've yet to see a city rooms that states "Crowds of world cup density" and delves have to run dodging rocks, trees, other plants, holes, predators and more, I think that more then allows practice that carries over to darting around slow moving humans.

Lastly, City elves are...Um, CITY elves, it should not be easy for them to travel in the wilderness, they should not even want to be in the wilderness. Sure, they can travel between cities, but it should be risky and a real pain in the ass. So, things are just fine.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Spoon on June 23, 2010, 07:43:57 AM
Add 'hitch kank'

But yes, just like city/wilderness sneak and hide, desert-elves should have a lot of difficulty running through crowds. The problem at present is, as has already been mentioned, that even with their modifiers desert-elves could outrun city-elves. If that's a problem, though. City-elf running could be what's left over of their running ability, so rather it's a bonus for city elves compared to other city-dwellers because they have retained some running ability -and- adapted to the city.

Have you actually ever had a foot face between a city elf and a desert elf, in the city?  My last one was maybe five or six years ago, so maybe the code has changed, but to me it definately looked as if it were working as intended.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

City elves start with sirihish and don't have to spend 98% of their days played alone after their whole tribe gets eaten by weezers.

City elves running the city have a bonus that defeats even desert-elves running in the city.  So you guys know.

Unless it's been changed.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I seem to remember city elf stamina used to be higher?

I seem to remember less whining.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: Malifaxis on June 23, 2010, 05:19:59 PM
I seem to remember less whining.

I believe you're mistaken there.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Yeah, you've been here before too Barzalene?

Anyway, on a less inane level:

Twilight, I haven't actually tested both in a footrace. If it's like this already then all's well.

X-D, Woudln't running down the high street of a town is trickier than running through a park? I'm not really making a point for code change though as I'm pro status-quo on this. I think if you pick city elf, you deal with the restrictions. There are plenty of other options if people can't deal with it.

Sure it would be trickier then a park...But I don't think anybody would call the zalanthan wilderness a park....take a look at them room descs sometime...brutal.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Yeah, I guess they train race horses and soldiers on sand in real life because it's such a bastard to run on, too.

Here's a little experiment:

Try going for a jog down a city sidewalk.

Then try going for a jog over the choppiest part of a sandy beach, the part that's not been washed smooth by the water.
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

As a counter-argument, I do think that running on wilderness roads should cost as much as walking on one, for a city elf.

This is, if it doesn't already. I haven't played one in, um, a really long time.

Personally. I like the handicap the celves have in the wild. They're 'ment' to have them. The delves having no handicaps in the city isnt that big a deal, considering only a few tribes can even "enter" cities, and it is up to the playerbase to decide just how 'welcome' those delves are.

For celves, a passage from city to city is a long, difficult ordeal, not something to be taken lightly, easily, or on a whim. A celf living in the wild, must have some extremely difficult adaptation to do.

June 25, 2010, 01:42:54 AM #63 Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 01:25:31 PM by spawnloser
C.elves can run in the city better than d.elves.  Just because d.elves can still run better than anyone else in the city doesn't mean they have no handicaps.  Coded handicaps, maybe they have less than a human, but they have plenty of socio-cultural handicaps, more than c.elves.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: Niamh on June 24, 2010, 12:19:42 PM
Here's a little experiment:

Try going for a jog down a city sidewalk.

Then try going for a jog over the choppiest part of a sandy beach, the part that's not been washed smooth by the water.

Is this assuming that I could get better at beach running? Why wouldn't city elves be able to have an innate ability to run and simply improve upon it by running outside?

Timetwister, by definition, a city elf didn't do that for all the years of growing up and are not conditioned for it the same way a desert elf is.  The difference between a city elf and a desert elf is 100% nurture, not nature.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on June 25, 2010, 01:26:58 PM
Timetwister, by definition, a city elf didn't do that for all the years of growing up and are not conditioned for it the same way a desert elf is.  The difference between a city elf and a desert elf is 100% nurture, not nature.

Well, I wouldn't exactly say that.  Weaker runners out in the wild die.  Stronger runners survive.  Weaker runners who fall behind a lot get less time with the ladies (heh heh, no, that's not serious).  But.  With long periods of time with their isolation and lack of mixing with the city elves...there very likely are genetic differences between the two.  Whether it be muscular, structural, or cardiovascular differences, whatever.  Really quite possible for their 'running' to be not only nurtured, but a focal point of their body far more than the city elf.

Either way.  I don't want them combined.  And I think these complaints are silly.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Wouldn't mind the staff taking delf/celf -- and combining them, into just plain elf, and maintaining the 1 karma standard.  That elf wants to be a tribal in the desert, whatever, that elf wants to be in the city, whatever.

Having a distinction between the two makes about as much sense as classifying your left and right testicle as different races.  It makes about as much sense as taking individual human tribes, or tuluki and nakki humans, and making them separate races.

That's my opinion at least. And if my opinion carried any weight, which it doesn't -- elves might be enjoyable, or playable, and at this point -- they're absolutely not.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

August 11, 2010, 05:52:17 AM #68 Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 05:56:20 AM by Qzzrbl
Quote from: FightClub on August 11, 2010, 05:17:39 AM
Wouldn't mind the staff taking delf/celf -- and combining them, into just plain elf, and maintaining the 1 karma standard.  That elf wants to be a tribal in the desert, whatever, that elf wants to be in the city, whatever.

Having a distinction between the two makes about as much sense as classifying your left and right testicle as different races.  It makes about as much sense as taking individual human tribes, or tuluki and nakki humans, and making them separate races.

That's my opinion at least. And if my opinion carried any weight, which it doesn't -- elves might be enjoyable, or playable, and at this point -- they're absolutely not.

Not necessarily....

There are distinctions like this IRL between humans.

There are some African tribes who hunt by running an chasing after their prey until it collapses to the ground out of sheer fucking exhaustion.

You can take your best Olympic endurance runner, and he'll fall behind like the city slicker he is.

There was a video on youtube documenting one of those tribal hunts.... And if I can find it, I'll post it up here.

Here we go.

Ladies and gentlemen.

I present to you.

Desert elves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUpo_mA5RP8

Not sure why it is sad.  But it is amazing.  Long distance running was the true human advantage and drove quite a bit of the evolution of our legs, hips, gait, etc.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

I'm glad you dug that back up, Qzzrbl.  It's a damn awesome video.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

August 11, 2010, 12:22:47 PM #73 Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 12:37:59 PM by Nyr
Quote from: Thunkkin on August 11, 2010, 10:28:54 AM
Not sure why it is sad.

I found the part with the animal collapsing sad. To know you're going to die but you can't do a damn thing about it.

August 11, 2010, 12:33:18 PM #74 Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 12:38:10 PM by Nyr
Quote from: spicemustflow on August 11, 2010, 12:22:47 PM
Quote from: Thunkkin on August 11, 2010, 10:28:54 AM
Not sure why it is sad.

I found the part with the animal collapsing sad. To know you're going to die but you can't do a damn thing about it.

I found it apt of the stamina/movement code. Still sucks for it, though. I've lost many a pc to randomly being chased down.
NOFUN:
Random Armageddon.thoughts: fuck dwarves, fuck magickers, fuck f-me's, fuck city elves and nerf everything I don't use
Maxid:
My position is unassailable.
Gunnerblaster:
My breeds discriminate against other breeds.

That's how hardcore I am.