City-elf playability changes?

Started by creepyguy, June 15, 2010, 01:45:35 PM

I always like to imagine the drastic shake-up in play the game would experience if PC elves were represented in the same proportion as they supposedly are in the population overall.

But I completely understand why folks don't care for playing them...I've ranted about it at length, elsewhere.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I love playing celves and delves. They are entirely different from each other, and yet the same. Their gameplay is compleyely different from playing humans though. There "are" clans that hire elves. Especially in the labyrinth. The problem and 'beauty' of it though, is that it is 'difficult'. Not a 'nuisance' difficult, but 'rp' difficult to be part of a clan for an elf. Mainly due to all the trust issues. Stuff just does not come easy for elves in terms of trust and that's a great thing.

Celves are very playable right now, but their gameplay "is" different and 'not' easy. I'm in full support of people who say Celves should be a karma race. Not because it is any particular way stronger then non karma races (I'd argue the opposite), but due to the complexity of the mindset.

Quote from: creepyguy on June 15, 2010, 01:45:35 PM
. Barring that, since this game is decidely NOT dark sun, why can't some city-elves who make their living outdoors overcome their pride and ride, or use mounts to save their own lives?

Ironically in Dark Sun there are no city elves/desert elves. It's just Elf. They all have the "running mind state" that they can enter and start their olympic marathon across the wastes. Just pointing that out..

Oh. Also there was an elf in the Dark Sun books that did ride a kank. He was around 200 years old though and couldn't run for shit anymore, and had risen in rank to become the right-hand man of a sorcerer king which was pretty cool.

Quote from: Timetwister on June 17, 2010, 12:36:50 AM
Quote from: creepyguy on June 15, 2010, 01:45:35 PM
. Barring that, since this game is decidely NOT dark sun, why can't some city-elves who make their living outdoors overcome their pride and ride, or use mounts to save their own lives?

Ironically in Dark Sun there are no city elves/desert elves. It's just Elf. They all have the "running mind state" that they can enter and start their olympic marathon across the wastes. Just pointing that out..

Oh. Also there was an elf in the Dark Sun books that did ride a kank. He was around 200 years old though and couldn't run for shit anymore, and had risen in rank to become the right-hand man of a sorcerer king which was pretty cool.

I don't see any irony here.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: Malifaxis on June 18, 2010, 09:35:08 AM

I don't see any irony here.

The fact that he said it's not Dark Sun. Yet in that setting the elves, regardless of where they live can enter their mental running state and take off. This isn't true on Arm, which obviously has DS influences.

In Dark Sun, it's not a 'running state' like some altered state of mind or anything.  It's like they're all d.elves as far as running ability goes, in Arm terms.  (In D&D2e terms this means they all have the 'running' proficiency.)  Others can get that proficiency too, though.

As far as Arm goes, though, I have long been a proponent of getting rid of the celf/delf distinction and only have an elf race.  Maybe make the elf running ability not as effective as delfs get it but better than celfs, whatever.  The specifics are malleable.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Ah I think you're right. I don't know why i thought they had to meditate or something. I guess I'm confusing it with something else. I found this though:
http://darkoftheday.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=dsraces&action=print&thread=1044

C-elf playability has been discussed many times. In most cases, the issue stems from their not having as many movement points as d-elves added to the fact that they do not ride, thus rendering them difficult to play - in locations that require the PC to commute long distances. This issue is further emphasized when their desert-cousins contrarily have so many movement points, that they can almost run across the Known World without needing to rest much.

I think to make things equal for c-elves not being able to run outdoors (added to the fact that they don't ride), d-elves should get a massive negative modifier when they are within cities or using any man-made roads. Its unrealistic and unfair to see d-elves fit in and run around with all those movement points, inside cities, without even a hint of being out of their element!

In fact, it would be fair to c-elves and d-elves, if all the man-made roads (i.e. North Road and others), give c-elves a city-like positive movement modifier and d-elves a similar city-like negative modifier.

That'll allow city elves a relatively higher mobility than they currently have - which is desperately needed, while giving the desert elves a fair balancing negative modifier when they decide to use man-made roads instead of the natural ones, to which they are used to.

Mind you - I'm specifically not saying that c-elves should get more movement points, coz that'd just be a crude workaround to the real issue, which is the adaptability of c-elves and d-elves to different terrains, and, man-made roads anywhere in the Known World, being more akin to city terrain and less like natural terrain.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Quote from: Twilight on June 16, 2010, 02:36:27 PM
QuoteThree of the four GMHs do not hire elves, because they are slippery thieving scum.  Only one of them puts that kind of slippery thieving scum to use.

Errrr.  I think NPCs were mentioned.  And while this is correct on a PC level, I am not sure it is on an NPC level.  Trying to think of an example off the top of my head...the Salarri shops in Tuluk, I think?

*waves his hand*  This elf has always been a half-elf.  Also, these are not the droids you are looking for.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

*Becomes a zombie*

No way dude, that salarri is a half-elf.  Everyone knows that.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Incognito on June 21, 2010, 06:30:56 AM

In fact, it would be fair to c-elves and d-elves, if all the man-made roads (i.e. North Road and others), give c-elves a city-like positive movement modifier and d-elves a similar city-like negative modifier.

Thank you for this. I think this is pretty much what I had in mind to help balance c-elves and allow them some chance of getting to a "safe" city within a day.
Rorschach: "None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with *ME*!"

There already is balance.

Here, let me give the syntax.

drop tent

make tent

enter tent
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on June 21, 2010, 12:26:18 PM

drop tent

make tent

enter tent

Hahahah..
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

City Elves can navigate the world just fine. Probably in a more realistic sense, as far as time frame, than most of the travel going on.

City Elves have a slew of tribes to choose from these days in every city state, both coded and uncoded, you just have to find them.

City Elf stats are fine, if not great, for any guild you choose upon creation.

Socialization for City Elves match the documentation quite well.

What's the playability problem here?

Quote from: Spider on June 21, 2010, 01:08:45 PM
City Elves have a slew of tribes to choose from these days in every city state, both coded and uncoded, you just have to find them.

..."find them?"  I want to (hypothetically) play a city elf, not scalp one.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Spider on June 21, 2010, 01:08:45 PM

What's the playability problem here?

The problem with city-elf tribes is, that there is only 1 listed as being open in the clan docs. I know you say to find out IC for others, but how is a player supposed to apply to create a family member already in one of these tribes if they are not listed publicly anywhere? This should be an option since joining one through play could take IG years to become trusted and fully part of one. And with none being listed as being open in the clan docs, it makes players planning on playing a city-elf assume that there are no tribes for them to join and so they create characters with backgrounds of being loners since they do not know there are other options.
Rorschach: "None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with *ME*!"

June 21, 2010, 02:21:52 PM #41 Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 02:24:14 PM by Nyr
There are two tribes open.  I thought there was an entry on this already, but there was not.  I added one and will flesh it out later.
Akai Sjir
Jaxa Pah
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on June 21, 2010, 02:21:52 PM
Jaxa Pah

Awesome.  I was totally unaware of this.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Nice to see the Jaxa get added to the list. They're fun people.  ;)
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

I've definitely been happy to see city elves with clans again.  It seems that Rinthi elves in particular have been lost since the previous city clans had been closed.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

drop tent

make tent

enter tent

kill tent

Quote from: AI Fashion and Swag on June 22, 2010, 01:06:56 AM
Quote from: a strange shadow on June 21, 2010, 11:52:28 PM

drop tent

make tent

enter tent

kill tent
guard tent
Lol, at this point I think "rescue tent" is necessary.

On topic: The city-elf clans have been revealed, they have opportunities, you just have to be an elf about it. You know, sneaky sneaky.
Alea iacta est

June 23, 2010, 06:20:32 AM #48 Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 06:26:56 AM by Incognito

drop tent

make tent

enter tent

X-D, gonna have to disagree with you on this one - it would be a rare c-elf PC, who would be able to carry around personal belongings AND an extra tent, and still have a low enough encumberance to allow for city-to-city mobility.

Edited to add:
Besides, what is the justification in d-elves having zero movement penalties inside cities and on man-made terrain, when their city cousins get a distinctive negative modifier when they are outdoors?
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

June 23, 2010, 07:43:57 AM #49 Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 07:49:28 AM by Spoon
Add 'hitch kank'

But yes, just like city/wilderness sneak and hide, desert-elves should have a lot of difficulty running through crowds. The problem at present is, as has already been mentioned, that even with their modifiers desert-elves could outrun city-elves. If that's a problem, though. City-elf running could be what's left over of their running ability, so rather it's a bonus for city elves compared to other city-dwellers because they have retained some running ability -and- adapted to the city.