City-elf playability changes?

Started by creepyguy, June 15, 2010, 01:45:35 PM

Quote from: Qeynos on August 16, 2010, 05:19:20 PM
Quote from: Malifaxis on August 16, 2010, 05:07:28 PM
The point is to get more players interested in playing the race because the race kicks ass and has an awesome amount of culture.

Well, it appears that people don't find the kickass racial culture enough of an encouragement to play it.

That's because there's a bunch of dunderheads who are still determined to try to 'win' the game instead of just enjoying playing it in all of its various forms.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: Malifaxis on August 16, 2010, 05:33:50 PM
Quote from: Qeynos on August 16, 2010, 05:19:20 PM
The point is to get more players interested in playing the race because the race kicks ass and has an awesome amount of culture.

Well, it appears that people don't find the kickass racial culture enough of an encouragement to play it.

That's because there's a bunch of dunderheads who are still determined to try to 'win' the game instead of just enjoying playing it in all of its various forms.

You're being unfair to the silent majority of dunderheads.  Playing a character who, in their deluded daydreams, could achieve Great Greatness and be spoken of in Hushed Tones at APMs is one of the primary ways many people have fun.

Potential coded power is like physical beauty.  It's useful in about 1% of daily life, but people pick it over everything else time after time.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Malifaxis on August 16, 2010, 05:33:50 PM

So the reason for the shortage of elves is essentially that the quality of roleplayers in this game isn't good enough to keep a challenging race at a playable level of activity? I'm not disinclined to believe that, but it sure is unfortunate either way.

I'm not convinced that there is a shortage of city elves currently; we see a lot of them coming through the application queue. Yes, there may be a shortage of city elves in one particular area, but that does not mean there is an overall shortage. There also may be a shortage of long-lived city elves, but that's because most characters of any race don't live long at all. The implementation of playable, ICly-joinable city elf clans in both cities has really helped make city elves a much more attractive option, from what I can see.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Well, we've had this thread (and the one that got locked) giving them special publicity for the last couple months. ;) All the hubbub has certainly gotten me interested in trying one.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Well, those elves must be doing their job. There are whole RL days where I don't see a single one, and if it's not because there aren't any, it must be because they're succesfully being elves.

The point isn't to entice players to play them by skill/stat/powerz boosts. 

Listen to Malifaxis, he's one sharp dude.

A decent elf-player will be able to pull off an elf with decent stats.

An amazing elf-player will be able to pull off any elf with poor stats across the board.

August 16, 2010, 09:01:04 PM #132 Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 09:04:55 PM by Qzzrbl
After thinking about it a bit, I could see where c-elves have developed an aptitude for stealth....

I give that idea +1.

But as far as any running ability whatsoever outside of cities, no.... Just no.

City-elves are meant to be city-bound.

That's their culture, that's their lifestyle, that's their livelihood, that's their home, that's where they belong.

Why don't they ride mounts? Because they don't need to. They don't want to. The only time a c-elf would ever need a mount is to go outside of the city to do stuff, which they ordinarily shouldn't do, ever. C-elves should steal, kill, bargain, and bullshit their way into getting anything they ever need.

Traveling from city-to-city? I could see why some elves would want to do this. Business could be better in one area as opposed to another.

Get pack mounts to carry your shit and travel in groups.

Don't have friends to group with? You're doing something wrong.... Smart c-elves would make friends, gain trust, and maybe.... Just -maaaybe- return a bit of mutual trust and kindness. It's not easy, but after playing for so long and having an elven right-hand-man for a human character or two, a well-played c-elf whose trust tests you pass and actually befriends you will be your best friend ever hands-down.

C-elves are hard to play, true.

But, I'd imagine anyone who manages to play one well would wind up -drowning- in kudos and karma.

I've played a long-time city elf that wasn't locked down in a city, and I have strong opinions where city elf playability is concerned.

I think City Elves are fine just the way they are for the most part, except their coded ability to run only in the cities without much cost.

It's my belief that even city elves should be able to run in the desert at the same reduced cost as desert elves, as their naturally lower total stamina would be enough of a difference to continue to justify desert elves being superior desert runners. City elves properly equipped and outfitted for the desert should be decently mobile, at the very least being able to outpace a mere human or dwarf in the sands.

At least a couple of clans elves may belong to in this game often head into the wide open wastes, putting city elven characters not only at a disadvantage, but often as a burden to commanders in terms of group mobility over the longer haul.
Keepin' it dusty,
                     Mr.B

EvilRoeSlade: "There's something seriously wrong when I say aide and everyone hears whore."