Unhitch Amos

Started by 1, May 31, 2010, 08:27:07 PM

I was just thinking the other day, is the command "unhitch" realistic? (When used with people, not mounts)

For instance:

If I were following you in real life, you can't just turn around and unhitch me. So, in the game, you shouldn't really be able to force people to stop following you... maybe we can have a command for that, which would be skill based, but otherwise, it isn't realistic, in my opinion.

I understand the OOC importance of this command, but otherwise, it can be abused in a sense... What do others think?

Removing this would cause way too many problems.

Flee self FTW.

I agree with 1.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

This command has a lot of utility.  I wouldn't want it gone for the sake of 'realism.'  For instance, in real life, people don't go linkdead and need to be left in a safe location.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Yeah, it is unrealistic.

Of course, with the code now, you could flee self or use one of the sneakier commands to escape an unwanted follower.

I think unhitch is mostly for leaders, and there should probably be an 'unhitch all', especially for Byn Sergeants.

There are lots of times when you're leading a group on purpose, and you need to go "there" and leave them "here." But, if Amos's player isn't paying attention to the game, or Malik's scrolling back to check what happened in the fight that got him to near death 2 minutes ago, or Talia is a new player who doesn't know how to "follow self" yet, it's just SO much easier to unhitch everyone than have to deal with going OOC and beeping players and wishing up and what not.

The unhitch <pc> command is definitely for leaders, and won't unhitch sneaky people, unless the PC knows that the sneaky person is sneakily following them. In which case, he's not being sneaky enough and should try harder next time.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I haven't tried it but if you're hidden and shadow someone it shouldn't work. If it does it ought to be fixed.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

A "chase" command (non-unhitchable follow) would be nice. I cain't, however, be bothered to look up that thread.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

May 31, 2010, 10:26:53 PM #8 Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 10:29:10 PM by 1
Chase would be cool. Sometimes, you don't mean to be sneaky, but mean to follow people. EI chase them.

A soldier will not, shadow a criminal, if you type follow, they will unhitch you, if you type chase, then they'd have to flee self, which could fail/pass the chase?

I see the importance of unhitch, and also, unhitch all would be cool too.

And you could escape by actually outrunning your pursuer rather than by spamming diagonals.  (Just like an inix-rider can inadvertently lose his beetle-ridin' followers now.)

Quote from: brytta.leofa on May 31, 2010, 10:07:29 PM
A "chase" command (non-unhitchable follow) would be nice. I cain't, however, be bothered to look up that thread.

Voila.

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,28257.0.html

I agree with the OP, unhitch has potential for abuse.  Just imagine if you're shadowing someone, they notice you enter a room and unhitch you, then continue on their way.

Of course I have no input on how to fix the situation.  Just sayin' I agree.
Murder, Corruption, Betrayal and Pancakes.

I think unhitch should be used if you tell a guy to 'wait here' and he agrees. Otherwise, it's -really- annoying to unhitch somebody instead of outrun them.

For playability reasons it needs to work this way. Besides, it's already unrealistic that one can flawlessly follow you even if you don't want them to using the follow command so, it's pretty well balanced out the way it is.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: jhunter on June 01, 2010, 10:34:31 AM
For playability reasons it needs to work this way. Besides, it's already unrealistic that one can flawlessly follow you even if you don't want them to using the follow command so, it's pretty well balanced out the way it is.

Yep. They should be the ones typing furiously, not the one running away. It's less effort to just run than it to so follow someone around.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Just wanted to add:

IMO, if you want to chase my pc against my will (under the current code) then you'd best get ready to utilize the "look" command and directionals to manually follow me. If you lose me, hope you can track or find someone that can. I find it borderline cheating to use the "follow" command to try and stick with someone against their will since we all know that it will do so unrealistically flawlessly regardless of the situation.

Quote from: jhunter on June 01, 2010, 10:46:44 AM
Just wanted to add:

IMO, if you want to chase my pc against my will (under the current code) then you'd best get ready to utilize the "look" command and directionals to manually follow me. If you lose me, hope you can track or find someone that can. I find it borderline cheating to use the "follow" command to try and stick with someone against their will since we all know that it will do so unrealistically flawlessly regardless of the situation.

I recommend using "watch".  Far more realistic, and allows you to say at the intersections:  "He went thatta way!"

Quote from: MarshallDFX on June 01, 2010, 11:40:12 AM
Quote from: jhunter on June 01, 2010, 10:46:44 AM
Just wanted to add:

I recommend using "watch".  Far more realistic, and allows you to say at the intersections:  "He went thatta way!"
Good point, forgot to mention that.

Precisely.

If you're bad enough at shadowing someone that you manage to stick out of the crowd as following them more than once or twice, it's perfectly reasonable that they should try and lose you, also.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Follow does not work flawlessly. If you're faster than the guy following you, you WILL lose him.

June 01, 2010, 03:14:43 PM #20 Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 03:18:29 PM by jhunter
In regards to speed yes. (and that's only racial speed differences, I could be wrong but between members of the same race, I don't think there's a coded difference) In regards to staying on track with their course, it does work unrealistically. It is, in real life as well, much more difficult to be the pursuer than to be the one pursued. The code does not reflect this.

A chase command could have, say, an agility check...

Or, as someone suggested once, movement speed could be inversely proportional to the number of remaining movement points.  As you get tired, you slow down.

Giving this a bit more thought, I think that voluntary follow should be toggleable.

>change follow

You aren't allowing anyone to follow you.

>change follow

You are allowing others to follow you.

When using this, you can still follow someone manually or using the shadow command, but you just cannot follow someone using the regular follow command if they don't want you to.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on June 01, 2010, 03:22:03 PM
A chase command could have, say, an agility check...

Or, as someone suggested once, movement speed could be inversely proportional to the number of remaining movement points.  As you get tired, you slow down.

I would also like to see some sort of "chase" command/skill added to the game as well. I'm just not 100% on how I would like to see it done.

so you want to make it easier for pursuers to pursue you? You're telling me run, watch, hunt, follow, shadow, and throw aren't good enough?

I'm not seeing it. Have you used watch much as a pursuer? It's pretty F'ing cool.

Quote from: jhunter on June 01, 2010, 03:14:43 PM
In regards to speed yes. (and that's only racial speed differences, I could be wrong but between members of the same race, I don't think there's a coded difference) In regards to staying on track with their course, it does work unrealistically. It is, in real life as well, much more difficult to be the pursuer than to be the one pursued. The code does not reflect this.
I am almost positive within the same races there -are- coded differences. I believe it's represented by one of the particular stats.

Quote from: Saellyn on June 01, 2010, 08:19:29 PM
I am almost positive within the same races there -are- coded differences. I believe it's represented by one of the particular stats.

Without the staff to confirm this, there's no sure way for us to know.

Quote from: jhunter on June 01, 2010, 08:38:23 PM

Foot races!  Somebody sponsor this.

Quote from: Agent_137 on June 01, 2010, 08:05:09 PM
so you want to make it easier for pursuers to pursue you? You're telling me run, watch, hunt, follow, shadow, and throw aren't good enough?
I'm not seeing it. Have you used watch much as a pursuer? It's pretty F'ing cool.

Watch is good, but it's still a twitch game.  I think it'd feel more immersing if the mechanics of pursuit were handled by the code.

I'd set it up something like this:
- You type "chase elf."  There's a cheesy message.
- If Mr. Elf leaves the room, you follow him with a small delay...you start, say, half your movement lag behind him.
- If your mount can run faster than he can run, it'll start cutting into the chase lag.  If not, you'll lag farther and farther behind.
- Running off cliffs breaks the chase.
- Chasing stops in one of two cases:
-- If your chase lag grows up to 100% of your normal movement lag, you lose your quarry. "You lag behind the tall, muscular elf."
-- If your chase lag shrinks down to zero, you'll move in non-unhitchable lockstep with your victim and can attack him at any time.  "You catch up with the tall, muscular elf."

It's like a less-bogus version of the "threaten" command.  It decreases the price of not insta-attacking, and in a fairly plausible way.  It encourages people to ride inix, which is just darn cool.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on June 01, 2010, 09:12:54 PM

Foot races!  Somebody sponsor this.

We need some track and field game RPTs. I'd think it'd be a fun time to have sack races and spear toss, etc. Maybe more events added to Luir's Fest to represent this.

Yeah. I agree with the OP because just not too long ago. I was following this person. This person sees im following, unhitches, and takes off and gets away.
All of you who disagree are just sad-panda's cause you don't like raiders. (- :
Someone punches a dead mantis in it's dead face.

Advantage should be to the pursued, unless the pursuer has the specialized skills for stalking their victims.

I always thought of follow as following right by (like, within a few cords of) someone, not at a distance.  That, to me, was always shadow.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

June 02, 2010, 01:39:31 AM #31 Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 01:41:57 AM by jhunter
Quote from: Twilight on June 01, 2010, 11:27:03 PM
Advantage should be to the pursued, unless the pursuer has the specialized skills for stalking their victims.

I always thought of follow as following right by (like, within a few cords of) someone, not at a distance.  That, to me, was always shadow.

Yeah, there are people here who believe that follow is the same as shadow, which represent two totally different things. IMO, follow is a voluntary (agreed upon) thing unless the one being followed unhitches them. Shadow, is an attempt to follow them whether they want you to (or know you are even there) or not.

The only reason I would like to see a "chase" command/skill implemented is to represent a more obvious version of shadow against the will of the target, for the non-stealthy to attempt.

QuoteShadow, is an attempt to follow them whether they want you to (or know you are even there) or not.

That to me is the pertinent part. The word "attempt." If your potential victim sees you with him in the room, and then sees you when he gets 3 rooms away in the same room he's in, and then 3 rooms later there you are..then you have failed to shadow him and are simply following him.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Being much faster than the pursued is also a specialized stalking skill.  Think of a desert elf trying to keep a dwarf in sight.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on June 02, 2010, 09:03:13 AM

Being much faster than the pursued is also a specialized stalking skill.  Think of a desert elf trying to keep a dwarf in sight.
How is that even fair to the D-Elf? Them stumps are SHORT! Hard to see!

June 02, 2010, 05:27:03 PM #35 Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 05:29:04 PM by 1
I agree chasing in the city, advantage goes to the person being chased. Because they can dart here, run there, twist and turn.

I would think chasing in the open desert, advantage goes to the chaser. Because I can see where you are going, and it just comes to who is faster.

You don't need staff to confirm this. I'll do it for you.

It's based on agility. Ruti was one fast sumna'bitch.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 04, 2010, 08:06:20 PM

You don't need staff to confirm this. I'll do it for you.

It's based on agility. Ruti was one fast sumna'bitch.
I've had pcs with very high agility and very poor agility of the same race and never noticed any difference in speed (in regards to movement)so I'll have to disagree with you unless, as I said, the staff confirms that there is actually a coded difference.

Quote from: jhunter on June 01, 2010, 03:14:43 PMIn regards to speed yes. (and that's only racial speed differences, I could be wrong but between members of the same race, I don't think there's a coded difference)
There are other factors for speed than race.  That is all.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

I don't know it's based on agility. Heavy speculation. But I do know that two people of the same race can go different speeds.

July 02, 2010, 05:16:47 PM #40 Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 05:19:06 PM by Reiteration
I'm assuming how fast you move is based on your 'agility', weight factor and race.

I believe Chase should also be dependent on the weight factor and race, even if you're in the city, the advantage goes to you if you're the half-naked rinthi city-elf chasing after the ware-burdened dwarfish merchant running away.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set