Author Topic: AV system question  (Read 1704 times)

Marauder Moe

AV system question
« on: April 14, 2010, 01:31:44 PM »
OK, so I've got a home theater system where the home theater AV receiver was replaced with a new one (but the speakers were left in place).  It's all well and good except for one thing: the sub woofer.  The old receiver apparently was able to provide power for it.  The new one does not, and the sub woofer output is an RCA connector rather than a clamp for raw wires.

So... I guess what I need is an amplifier.  However, the precise terminology for an amplifier designed only to power a single sub woofer is beyond my knowledge, and internet searches only show me amps for car and other larger-scale audio systems.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Schrodingers Cat

Re: AV system question
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 01:37:34 PM »
Depending on how many watts your subwoofer is, you'd probably want something like this.  It's bridgeable, so it'd be 100watts for one channel.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 01:45:45 PM »
Yar, something like that.  Though, that's certainly more power than I need and more money than I want to spend. 

Another round of searching and consultation with a friend has come up with this as a potential solution: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-782

Ampere

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 02:13:52 PM »
Any amp will do, just be sure to recalculate the output dependent on the impedance of your soundsystem.  Most home systems are eight ohms, so the amp you're looking at only has an output of 15watts.  You can buy amps that exceed the driver rating, just make sure to roll back the rheostat to something appropriate and glue it in place.  Regarding the rca/phono terminal, just buy yourself a solderless end at any radioshack, and if you're not getting clear sound reverse the polarity (I'm guessing the speakerwire isn't colour coded).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 02:17:57 PM by Ampere »
Quote from: science
An early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)