Author Topic: Planar Cosmology Chart  (Read 3197 times)

Bast

Planar Cosmology Chart
« on: March 09, 2010, 02:55:22 PM »
I'm moving this over the Random Armageddon thoughts posting. Once I get a good idea for the way the planes interact I'll start messing around with a design so it look cool.

Okay so here’s my deal with doing a good planar chart for Arm.....
I see Drov as a transitive plane as it layers directly over the prime material? Or maybe there is a transitive shadow plane that leads to the inner plane of Drov?
The prime would layer directly with the positive energy plane and be the closest thing to a positive energy plane. Or the inner planes (suk-krath, Ruk, Whira, etc...) would actually make up the elements that provide a replacement for a positive energy plane.  Nilaz would obviously serve as the negative engery plane or the void and be in direct opposition to the prime (ie positive or seven other elements)

This would leave the other inner planes, Whira, Krok, Ruk, Vivadu, elkros and Suk-krath. The six remaining elements would function sort of akin to the five elements in the Chinese system?

I would assume Suk-krath has a stronger tie on the world as it’s a desert. So its orbit (or position) would be closer to the prime while Vivadu would be more distant?  So you’d end up with a six pointed star formation with the prime in the middle slightly closer to suk-krath then the others. Arrange the elements Suk-Krath, elkros, whira, Vivadu, Krok, then Ruk. Which would put fire opposite water. Air opposite earth.  And lightning opposite stone, which sorta works as stone grounds lightning and lightning can split stone? Placement wise shadow would be like lens over the prime. The other elements save Nilazi would sit in a halo slightly over the prime and Nilaz would be placed below the prime.

Suk-krath and Drovs more direct interactions with the prime would explain the opposition there. Nilazi's opposition to the others is self explanatory

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

Gimfalisette

Re: Planar Cosmology Chart
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 03:02:02 PM »
There's no way to discuss this topic without citing information which is, and should remain, totally IC.
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Bast

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 06:02:30 PM »
If this is treading on IC only information I'll drop it. I just thought it would make for an interesting art project.  :P
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Gimfalisette

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 06:09:22 PM »
If this is treading on IC only information I'll drop it. I just thought it would make for an interesting art project.  :P

It does sound like a neat art project, and I think it would be totally valid for you to put it together based on your own understanding of the elemental forces within ARM and their relationships.

I'd contribute the understanding that I've acquired over a bunch of PCs...but...that would be totally IC information. Also, it's possible that I (or you, or anyone) would be completely wrong about how things actually work. Or, it's also possible that some stuff about how magick and the elements work is not truly defined in the system, and is open to player/staff interpretation.

I don't mean to discourage your artistic efforts, I just want us not to go where we shouldn't with IC info.
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

FantasyWriter

• Tales of Then--Reflections of Now
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 06:29:33 PM »
You could take the help files to heart and base you chart on what they say and/or how elemental magick tends to work in other fictitious universes.
Greb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

IAmJacksOpinion

• MySpace
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 07:49:04 AM »
Bast, I don't understand a damn THING you're saying, but it sounds really cool and I encourage you to continue. Honestly, I don't believe it to be "too IC" because it's entirely an opinion and I doubt our staff put THAT much thought into the magick system. (Not saying there isn't extensive thought, because their is, but I don't think they expanded on that specific area.)

Cool bit of trivia: I was reading through the helpfiles while preparing for my first mage role, and I dug up this gem:

Quote from: help magick power
The names of the powers, old folklore has it, are the seven great horns
of God (though this reference, and the concepts involved, are hotly debated
by scholars all across the Known World), and their names call the spirits
to service.

Se7en great horns, and seven horns around the gith clit ring of bone that surrounds a small desert planet in our MUDs symbol. (Which I'm totally rawkin' on my chest in my picture. 
<----
Quote from: musashi
engaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Bast

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 06:21:20 PM »
Bast, I don't understand a damn THING you're saying, but it sounds really cool and I encourage you to continue. Honestly, I don't believe it to be "too IC" because it's entirely an opinion and I doubt our staff put THAT much thought into the magick system. (Not saying there isn't extensive thought, because their is, but I don't think they expanded on that specific area.)

<----

I'll play with what I have and I agree with you. I'm under the impression that some of the elements were added later on as its a evolving campaign setting. However I don't think a lot of thought was put into how these elements really interact with each other. Regardless it will be fun to mess around with I'll post some stuff when it starts coming together.

Pale Horse

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 07:09:42 PM »
I'll play with what I have and I agree with you. I'm under the impression that some of the elements were added later on as its a evolving campaign setting. However I don't think a lot of thought was put into how these elements really interact with each other. Regardless it will be fun to mess around with I'll post some stuff when it starts coming together.

You are correct in that several of the elementalist guilds were added some little time after the creation of the game.  Drovians, Elkrosians and Nilazi, if I remember right.  None were in the original incarnation, nor soon after the change over when it became focused on RP instead of Hack&Slash.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Bast

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 06:01:36 PM »
First round rough draft...its no where done just getting an idea of the layout. In the upper left corner is an over view Nilaz is not visible in it. Im pretty sure you can guess which plane is what. The big one is the prime material.

Bast

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 06:19:19 PM »
i think I may try to incorporate the Arm logo into the pretty final version.

Thorg

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 07:27:51 PM »
Nilaz could be said to be the "void" in which the rest of the cosmology exists within. In your diagram it would be the black space. I think that fits the concept that it isn't so much a plane, but the antithesis of planes.

Adhira

• Producer
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 08:58:51 PM »
There's no way to discuss this topic without citing information which is, and should remain, totally IC.

Gimf got it spot on there. 

Feel free to continue with it as your own art project but other than what is in the helpfiles it is preferable that no one else expand on the magick realms.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.