Zalanthan Color Charts

Started by FantasyWriter, March 03, 2010, 12:32:56 PM

March 03, 2010, 12:32:56 PM Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 12:46:58 PM by FantasyWriter
I was thinking of compiling a Zalanthan color chart over the next two weeks or so.

If anyone would like to jump in and help, please post a color swatch coordinate and an appropriate name.
Any name used for a color should be available in a help file (cunyati-brown for example) or be something that is common earth knowledge (amber-orange or granite-gray).

If you disagree with a choice, by all means speak your piece and offer a better name for the swatch or a better coordinate for the name.

PS: if someone can find a better chart that has some kind of coordinate system, post it as well.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Here's one for skin tone as well.

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Fnord on March 03, 2010, 12:50:05 PM
Nothing is clicky.

Couldn't flind a clicky way to do it.

Do like thiis:
B-5 - Suk Krath red
Grebber - One who grebs.

a-14: Bynner brown
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Reiteration, do you seriously want people to have 'bynner-brown' in their sdesc?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

March 03, 2010, 03:52:37 PM #7 Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 03:54:14 PM by Reiteration
Quote from: spawnloser on March 03, 2010, 03:20:01 PM
Reiteration, do you seriously want people to have 'bynner-brown' in their sdesc?

Of course!

Now then, A-1 seems is the kind of color I see when I think of a gortok.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Quote from: spawnloser on March 03, 2010, 03:20:01 PM

It's a euphemism for "dung-brown."

I thought it was shitcloak brown.
Amor Fati

March 03, 2010, 09:24:23 PM #10 Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:26:58 PM by jalden
Having a color chart where everything is related to something in game would be dual purpose.  
1. Could help you describe things. 2. Could help everyone memorize and visualize what things look like.

E7 Kadian purple.
B2 Jihae red (or is it darker than that?)

I've always thought Jihae templar red to be more B6, and Jihae moon to be more sort of 1.5, less color than B2, but more than B1.
-Kuh

Thank you!! I'll be happy to help with this. In fact if you guys can figure out all the arm plants and things that correspond with the colors I'll do it up pretty on photo shop.
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

G8 = Allanaki green?
C1=      Pymlithe
G14= Kolh

I'd leave azure, cerulean, emerald, sapphire, crimson and the others we see commonly used in the game left alone.
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Keep 'em coming!

A.  1. Gortok
    14. Dung/Bynner Brown

B.
     2. Jihea Red
     5. Suk Krath Red
     9. Cunyati-nut Brown

C.  1. Pymlithe
     7. Kadian Purple

D.

E.

F.

G.
     8. Jade / Allanaki Green
   14. Khol
Grebber - One who grebs.

March 09, 2010, 04:53:38 PM #16 Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 04:55:52 PM by Bast
D8 is Azure isn't it?
E11 is cerulean....

March 09, 2010, 04:58:21 PM #17 Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 05:00:19 PM by Bast
and true Jade is F9

Edit) I'd be more helpful if I had better knowledge of Arm's plant life. Pigments are often named for the plants and flowers that share their color.

Quote from: Bast on March 09, 2010, 04:58:21 PM
and true Jade is F9

Isn't Allanaki green suppose to be jade?  I don't have a clue personally?
Grebber - One who grebs.

March 09, 2010, 05:56:07 PM #19 Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 06:00:58 PM by Bast
from the pic of the Allanak flag it looks like the cross is a deeper green rather than Jade.  I always assumed they used jade (the stone) to make the jewelry like the jade crosses and so on as the rock is naturally a green. But on clothing and the flag they used a deeper green dye.  Therefore you could have true Jade (like the stone) and then Allanaki green , like the green shade used on the flag on the website (shrugs)

Allanaki Green IS Jade. (Hence the Jade Sabers, Jade Cross, etc.) And real JADE would be closer to F9, I'll agree.

Personally, I CRINGE at "allanaki Green, Kadian Purple" because it's not something you see everyday.

I would call B5 something more like "blood red," or "Crimson" because to me Suk-Krath (the sun) would have more of an orangish tint to it since it is a ball of fire, and fire is (by and large) orange.

A-10 or A-6 - Suk Krath Red (or Orange?)

I'll agree with D8 for Azure.

As a helper, you can punch in a color in google, OR, go to wikipedia and punch in "blue (color)" and you'll get all sorts of shades.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azure_%28color%29

So, here's some ideas for what else cold be filled in:
- dusky
- midnight / ebon / ravon / pitch / jet - Probably all the same thing, right along with "Khol"
- cunyatti
- agafari
- baobab
- sepia
- umber
- cerise (french for "red", see's some rare usage.)
- cerulean
- steel
- chestnut
- earthy

Mostly darks and browns. We may have to mix and match a bit. Pull out some colors we don't claim and swap them for others we find useful. As I said, wikipedia is an EXCELLENT resource. Check the link.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

C12 - Horta
Always pictured horta as a deep purple-tinged black, sort of like eggplant black.

March 14, 2010, 01:52:29 PM #22 Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 02:14:56 PM by slipshod
I don't at all agree with your designation for Jihae red.

I would say it is B-7.  It's the blood moon, not the pureed salmon moon.

I also don't agree with Suk-Krath Red.  Suk-Krath color should be like A-8 or A-9.

Editted to add:  You sunk my battleship.
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

G10: Tembotooth Green
F8: Verinbloom green
F6: Citrodora Green
E1: Kanjel blue
A5: Joylilt
B14: Hytenni Grey
B7: Redheart
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best