Author Topic: TMS / TMC voting reminder idea?  (Read 2407 times)

Koala

TMS / TMC voting reminder idea?
« on: January 13, 2010, 11:42:22 AM »
Hi,

I have an idea that may improve our TMS and TMC rankings without breaching any rules. The idea is presented below and needs someone with some level of programming knowledge. Since I don't know how to do it, I am laying down my thoughts here hoping that someone with the right knowledge can pick it up and make it alive => If I am not the only one who thinks this idea is neat, of course. Please, contribute your thoughts and comments so that we can develop the idea and maybe make something much better out of it.

Idea:

If someone could write up a simple code/program that reminds us when we last voted, with a timer. Than that program can tell us to vote if the timer is up (maybe presenting the links - will be much easier), whenever we open our computers or run a browser.

=> It might/might not occupy a tiny slot in your desktop and just counts down and lets you know when to vote. It can work after we install it to our computers or add-on to our browsers.

=> Or it might be an invisible thing that only sends e-mail notifications with links to vote to tell you that you can vote again.

=> Or something that does both with options to choose from.

Side note:  Maybe at least a sentence can be added to Welcome to Armageddon page so that people will remember to vote.

Right now we are getting at most 15-20 votes for TMS (voted twice daily) and maybe 5-10 votes for TMC per day. And we have at least 100* unique people logging into the game and possible at least double that logging into GDB. If you could make more people to vote, we would be in the top ranks in TMS and TMC. Than we would start having more players that we all want to see here.

The reason I am saying this because TMS and TMC are the places from where we can convert more people since the people who are looking at those rankings are the people who are already interested in MUDs in a way. And they would know what to expect to some degree and how to plat a text-game based compared to an innocent newbie :)

Armageddon is the best Roleplaying game out there and I am not only counting MUDs. This game is the best and everyone deserves to know it's existence :). Lets make our game more visible to others and give them the opportunity of a lifetime  ;D.

Lets make this alive!

* I might be wrong at numbers. IMMs would know better and I would love to hear their comments on our numbers, if it is not meant to be hidden.
"A few warriors dare to challange me, if so one fewer."
---------------------------
"Train yourself to let go everything you fear to lose." Master Yoda
"A warrior does not let a friend face danger alone." Lt. Worf

daedroug

Re: TMS / TMC voting reminder idea?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 12:48:43 PM »
I would take one that automagickly voted for us.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

MarshallDFX

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 12:53:40 PM »
I would definitely install a browser app that did such a thing.  Especially (only) if it logged me into TMC for me when it did it.

Cerelum

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 12:56:44 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but anything that automatically generates votes without a person is considered cheating the ranking system and will get the game tossed out.
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Yeah, seriously...find out OOC.

MarshallDFX

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 01:02:47 PM »
Looking at some of the TMS rules..

Your vote will count only once every 12 hours. For the most part, the script will stop someone from inflating their votes. If I catch you cheating such as using open proxies, I'll give you a warning, then suspend you, then ban you from the list. The integrity of this site is based on the fact that cheating will not get you to the top, and that the rankings are as fair as they can be.

You CANNOT offer incentives or rewards to players for voting. That means you cannot give players items, experience, or anything else in return for votes. You cannot display different messages based on whether someone voted or not, or reward a player for voting by not showing messages. You cannot have a system that ‘nags’ a player about voting in response to whether they’ve voted or not unless participation in the system is totally voluntary with no tangible positive or negative effects for a player choosing to use or not use such a system. Such a system must also allow a player to easily opt out of it at any time, also with no positive or negative effect, and it must be off by default.

I only did a 10 second look about on TMC, didn't see anything.  I'll look more better later.

In short, I do not believe this would violate any rules, especially as it is player driven and totally voluntary.

Koala

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 01:04:23 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but anything that automatically generates votes without a person is considered cheating the ranking system and will get the game tossed out.

Yes, that is true. It should not generate any automatick votes for us. The program should only remind you to vote, nothing more. It may/may not provide you with the links for easy access. But still you will need to click it on your own terms, not automatically. Otherwise we would be considered as cheaters by the terms of rule for voting.

Quote from: MarshallDFX
Especially (only) if it logged me into TMC for me when it did it.

I clicked a button at TMC and it automaticallly logs me in when I click the TMC banner in GDB. The only thing left for me is to cast my vote, much like TMS.

daedroug

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 01:14:01 PM »
Is it an actual rule because if i pretty much say i want to vote for this mud at all possible opportunities after that it's just a matter of remembering. Such a rule is basicly making less for popularity and more for laziness/forgetfulness.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Koala

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 11:48:29 AM »
Is it an actual rule because if i pretty much say i want to vote for this mud at all possible opportunities after that it's just a matter of remembering. Such a rule is basicly making less for popularity and more for laziness/forgetfulness.

Actually it is an interesting catch. In the end, your computer will make the vote from one IP and it is not going to use porxies ar anything. Still it would be a valid vote. The user is allowing the system without any rewards offered by the system. It is purely voluntary if you ask me and should not violate the rules.

I might be wrong, but seemed ok to me.

HaiWolfe

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 12:21:23 AM »
Sounds like a voluntary, opt-in reminder system is kosher, especially if it's outside the game system. I'll take a crack at writing a simple web app this weekend if no one else beats me to it.

Lizzie

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 08:29:37 AM »
You can make a timer that prompts you when it's time to vote, but you can't use an automated voting script that does the voting for you. That is very clearly cheating and against the rules -and- spirit of TMS. The point is for players to tell TMS which game is their favorite. Also, it -must- be an opt-in system, it cannot be an opt-out or a no-choice system.

Personally I wouldn't sign up for it, because
1) The only time I want my browser to display TMS, is when I'm looking for new posts in their forum. This may, or may not, be one of the 2 times per day the voting system would work for me.
2) I might not always want to vote for Arm. This isn't the only game people play afterall, and some people might want to place their vote elsewhere. Having Arm remind me every morning that it's time to vote would just drive me further to place my vote somewhere else.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

MarshallDFX

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 06:54:18 PM »
you can't use an automated voting script that does the voting for you. That is very clearly cheating and against the rules -and- spirit of TMS.

I couldn't find where it says that anywhere.  If I've voluntarily created or ran a script to register my vote from my home computer, I don't see why it actually matters.  I'm fully prescribed to the one-person/one-vote ideal, and don't really see any ethical qualms?

Also, it -must- be an opt-in system, it cannot be an opt-out or a no-choice system.

This would clearly be opt-in.  "Here is a browser app I made.  It does this.  If anybody wants to install it, go ahead."

Personally I wouldn't sign up for it, because
1) The only time I want my browser to display TMS, is when I'm looking for new posts in their forum. This may, or may not, be one of the 2 times per day the voting system would work for me.
2) I might not always want to vote for Arm. This isn't the only game people play afterall, and some people might want to place their vote elsewhere. Having Arm remind me every morning that it's time to vote would just drive me further to place my vote somewhere else.

OK.

Koala

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 11:25:10 PM »
Sounds like a voluntary, opt-in reminder system is kosher, especially if it's outside the game system. I'll take a crack at writing a simple web app this weekend if no one else beats me to it.

I am very excited about this :).

Could you do it like an open-source project? That way, people with the right skills can contribute or modify it according to their tastes.

Reiteration

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 09:34:35 AM »
I'll take a swing at a java-based program
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

kuhfelsen

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 06:12:41 PM »
You CANNOT offer incentives or rewards to players for voting.

Cookies and hugs to all who vote!!!
-Kuh

parham

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 02:34:21 AM »
Yes. In my humble opinion, it is not considered cheating since:
1) It is optional.
2) you can stop it anytime you want.
3) if it displayed the link, you'd click on it anyway, so why not take it one step further and at least display the page for you in your browser if not vote? Since if it displays the page, you are going to click the "vote" button anyway.
4) As said in number two, you can just stop the program/service/whatever whenever you want to vote "for another game". This is what optional is supposed to mean. :)

I am fully with the idea! i am, quite unsurprisingly, among those who forget to vote and need a reminder at the very least.