Author Topic: Tutorial Video of Armageddon  (Read 8393 times)

Xagon

Tutorial Video of Armageddon
« on: January 11, 2010, 02:19:33 PM »
Quote from: Nyr
Now--if you have the software (and know-how) to capture video of your screen plus the audio of you giving pointers, I think that would work out pretty well.  If you're interested in this, you may want to join up with the publicity team and tackle it with some staff oversight.

I'm doing this.

"This" is basically the captured input of an Armageddon session on a brand new character, detailing the process one goes through when creating such a character, uncovering syntax clues, and general information about the cities.

What else should be included, or purposely left out? It is to be a tutorial video of sorts to be posted on Youtube (or another public place)
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Besides, the players know best

Cerelum

Re: Tutorial Video of Armageddon
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 03:23:01 PM »
Quote from: Nyr
Now--if you have the software (and know-how) to capture video of your screen plus the audio of you giving pointers, I think that would work out pretty well.  If you're interested in this, you may want to join up with the publicity team and tackle it with some staff oversight.

I'm doing this.

"This" is basically the captured input of an Armageddon session on a brand new character, detailing the process one goes through when creating such a character, uncovering syntax clues, and general information about the cities.

What else should be included, or purposely left out? It is to be a tutorial video of sorts to be posted on Youtube (or another public place)
I would make it privately posted somewhere so that the Staff can approve it before you toss it up on youtube.  Because if you give away anything they don't like, they will eat your brainz.
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Yeah, seriously...find out OOC.

daedroug

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 04:22:52 PM »
One thing that would be especially needed is a run down of the characteristics of each race, maybe show some of the fan artwork as well as giving character examples of a classic elf/dwarf mindset. I'm sure there have been plenty of newbie that saw the word "elf" and immediately thought tolkien style elves and wanted to play them only to find they're playing the totalling wrong race to be that kind of character.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Thorg

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 09:20:18 AM »
Make sure you elaborate on every little thing from creation to play and try and work in lots of links to things on the website, fanart, etc. It could help that while you discuss things to have choice quotations for the subject (such as elven mentality) appear on screen to be read while you explore ideas. Basically assume the viewer knows nothing about RPI/MUDs except perhaps the basics and try to capture the imagination when you outline all the possibilities that exist.

It might also help to go through the stuff in the walkthrough to give the session a little structure.

Also, if you know the correct wizardry, try to make the video zero-in on events as they happen and provide a commentary. For example, your first line of speech at a table - make it zoom in on the whole chunk of text, then dissect it into what appears in (), [] or whatever. Also to reiterate not to take anything for granted. If someone starts a conversation with you, point out the fact and be sure to put emphasis on that this is another person, playing a unique role and ponder the possibilities. It might seem kind of mundane to someone who talks to PCs everyday, but I remember the first time I met another PC and it was a big deal(TM).

Try making the game itself look especially appealing, perhaps set a custom background/text colour and have a few recolouring aliases (explained and linked to in the vid desc perhaps).

Just generally appear open, accessible, friendly and wonderous!

Reiloth

• Corpse Pose: B&W Film Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 05:56:04 AM »
I think syntax and an overview of the difference between MUDs and MUSHs and MMORPGs and FPS video games. I think that commands we take for granted 'l in 5.pack' are easily the hardest thing for 'mundanes' (People who haven't even heard of MUDs before) to grasp. Beyond this -- Convincing them that it is the best game in the world without any graphics is a tough sell.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

adroid28

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 11:34:45 AM »

Hi there :)

Sorry to bring this old thread to life but, did this tutorial ever get realised?
That would be great help for new players such as my self!

Taven

• Helper
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 01:41:05 PM »

Hi there :)

Sorry to bring this old thread to life but, did this tutorial ever get realised?
That would be great help for new players such as my self!

I don't think it did, but you should definitely look at Mansa's New Player Guide. Also feel free to ask any questions in "Ask the Players", or use the Talk with a Helper function. Welcome to the game!  :)
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

mansa

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 11:16:13 PM »
join the publicity subforum and post there, perhaps?  it's a bit more private.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Derain

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 04:57:44 PM »
Xagon disapeared. And turned into a jerk face, damn you Harry for not doing this video!!

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 11:42:39 PM »
We still need this. I'm lazy and bad at speaking so it'll probably never be me, but I really do love the idea.

Some ideas for things to put in one:

Logging at peak times. Character application and acceptance. Joining a clan.  Shopping for essential items. Rumors board use and local popular tavern rp. Racial roleplay and Templar/Noble encounters/signet rings bowing or not. A typical day of duties in your clan...

Derain

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 09:19:28 AM »
I would love to put this together like that Sprysffsdfsd guy on youtube. But I am afraid I get told im not following the docs well and I have gotten ALOT better but yeah.

Barsook

• The Sense of Openness
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 11:14:21 AM »
For the clan, I think it should be the Byn only.

Derain

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 11:34:25 AM »
Anyone want to work together on a "Storyboard" and put this together?

boog

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 01:18:46 AM »
I'd be down.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Derain

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 04:07:31 PM »
Yay I got Boog support, now nobody can stop us! *looks behind himself for Nyr.*

Barsook

• The Sense of Openness
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 04:41:11 PM »
I can help writing it too.

boog

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 11:56:35 PM »
Just send me an email of your guys' ideas; the link is on my profile.

Smooches!
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Barsook

• The Sense of Openness
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 08:52:53 AM »
Just send me an email of your guys' ideas; the link is on my profile.

Yours is not on it.

Derain

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 10:33:41 AM »
Facebook group that is private for development?

Barsook

• The Sense of Openness
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 10:34:23 AM »
Urg, I don't do Facebook but I do IRC if chat is needed.

Derain

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 10:56:07 AM »
Was just a place we could add everyone, I don't have IRC. My email is Derain360@gmail.com. 

Lets start with Documentation then move into races, and then class and subguilds. Then perhaps character creation?

Barsook

• The Sense of Openness
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 10:57:07 AM »
IRC can be web browser based...

Sure.  If you want to start with a basic outline, that can work.

Derain

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 11:27:58 AM »
I figure we prepare then make it

Kismetic

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 03:55:30 PM »
I have a small home studio for recording music, I can do the voice-over work if you write a script.
"Well, Gary, if that even is your real name ...  somebody stole my computer.  Now, if you're a criminal--  Look at me! ... You have to tell me, legally, or else it's considered entrapment."  -- Andy Dwyer

Derain

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 10:02:31 AM »
Awesome! I'm not the greatest to do the filming and editing but I am trying to hopefully get everyone brain storming..

Lets all start here and talk about what to tell new players a general overview of Zalanthas.