Author Topic: Question about playing a certain type of character.  (Read 1558 times)

Anonymous

Question about playing a certain type of character.
« on: October 09, 2002, 12:39:08 PM »
Contrary to what I usually play, I have been playing this very reclusive character.  Although they -do- come out every once in a while, I find that both the character and I feel like idiots in the outside world and quickly retreat to our hide out.  The amount of thinking the char is doing is a -lot- and the char is even forcing itself out to try and counter this terrible fear it has of people.  The amount of interaction it gets with other players is minimal and when a situation -does- arise, the char clams up like a vestal virgin.  My question is, is it normal for us to feel that reclusive?  I honestly don't know whether or not the characters habits are acceptible or not.

Does anyone have some advice on how to deal with this?

Question about playing a certain type of character.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2002, 04:39:50 PM »
My char, while not exactly a hermit, tends to be paranoid in front of strangers, which at first meant she just sat around doing nothing until someone noticed her and struck up a conversation. She's constantly afraid of making some social gaffe in front of someone important, so she goes out of her way to be polite, unless she knows someone well enough to relax a bit in front of them. However, she's a really social person, preferring to talk your ear off if she gets the chance, which in her case means if you've talked to her instead of stabbing her in the stomach or something. :P It's like the moth being attracted to the flame thing...she'd rather be around people, even if she might say something wrong and get her head chopped off, than just wander around alone being bored off her ass.

A bit of clarification here: I figured given my inexperience with the game, I should give her an isolated background so if she screwed up it wasn't just because I don't know what the hell I'm doing. I KNEW without a doubt that I'd screw up, so I figured I'd make screwing up be believable, even if no one ever found out about her background. It's been great fun playing it out, even in situations where I thought someone was gonna kill her for it a couple hours into playing. I'm even fleshing out her background with stuff I didn't know when I made her, which is pretty neat considering it usually takes longer for me to get into a char that much.

Not sure if that's anything like the kind of answer you were looking for, but hell I'm half asleep here. :P