Author Topic: 'C'apitalization and punctuation pet peeve?  (Read 4282 times)

sarahjc

'C'apitalization and punctuation pet peeve?
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2003, 02:41:04 PM »
Rindan

I'm not saying it's ok to start using text message lingo, I just think it's a rant that presents itself all too much on the GMB.  How often does it really occur, and how bad? If I am trying to have a conversation with someone and the conversation is really interesting ICly, I'm not going to avoid them in the future for a spelling error or an uncapitalzed i here and there. I am guilty of it just as much as the next guy.  I have yet to run into someone who uses no punctuation, has a monotone character and can’t spell. If I did, I would probably say something to them OOC on the spot.

I think it goes without saying that most people want there character to be as animated as possible. Clearly when you add emoting as well as proper grammar to what you say it makes your character all the more appealing to talk to.

But if there are two guys in a room and one has great grammar and the other is kind of sucky, I’m going to talk to both and use the best most descriptive writing I can think of. I might make it a point to make sure that I have no typing or grammatical errors instead of focusing on keeping the pace of the conversation (which I tend to do.) Maybe it will prompt the terrible writer to be more careful with typing and realize that it makes the game play more appealing. Maybe that person is a newbie and is already feeling slightly dwarfed by some of the amazing RP that goes on in the game. :D

I will not however avoid someone because of it. I think that is terribly OOC :x , unless your character would choose not to talk to that person for some reason ICly. Moreover I see that type of behavior towards another persons character making the persons RP even worse and eventually they will not want to play the game.  :x

I have to think that the main focus should be the RP and not your grammar and frankly there aren’t that many people around to be getting all picky about it. Sure if their grammar is so bad it makes what they are saying hard to understand it has an impact of the conversation and your enjoyment of the game. But then speak up and tell them in the game and be polite about it, :) then make the effort to continue talking to them. Promoting good writing in game is better than just complaining about it here. :D

I for the most part I would rather talk to someone who has a problem with capital letters rather than someone who’s accent equivalent to that of a Pikey. At least then you have an IC reason not to talk to them.

Then you’ll have the time to turn to the hopelessly lost NB on the bar stool next to you and say “I would answer that guy over there, but I can’t understand a Feckin’ word he says.
 :lol:
Quote from: jmordetsky
Sarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant
"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Cerebus

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2003, 02:46:52 PM »
Travel Cake makes some very good points - there are ways to politely direct people towards what you consider to be preferable behavior without being beligerent.

Bestatte

• Posting Privileges Revoked
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2003, 03:06:22 PM »
I agree with both Travel Cake and Cerebus..however there are those who will claim "dood its just a game chill out"

It is those people I addressed in my previous post. The ones who absolutely positively refuse to accept the fact that they are presenting their roleplay via a text-based medium, and that presentation -is- everything.

Without presentation, we'd just be another hack and slash. When you make your presentation attractive, you will draw others whose presentations are also attractive. Or - you will draw those who would LIKE to learn to spiff up their own presentation. In those cases, it's all good.

But when you're RPing in the game and the only PC around at the moment is some guy who has -no desire- to make his presentation worth looking at, then he has no right to complain when I...don't look.

spawnloser

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2003, 04:39:59 PM »
Travel Cake, Cerebus...I understand, and I'm not trying to be belligerant.  I'm just trying to explain what the problem is and why it's a problem.

To address a few things...

Travel Cake, my problem is with people being lazy...it's not something that I can fix for them.  They have to fix it for themselves and put forth the effort.  The only improvement that I can suggest, and have, is to put forth the effort to get spelling and punctuation as correct as possible with minor errors understood.  I'm not trying to boost my own ego and sound superior.  I understand that I have an advantage over quite a few due to the education that I've received in the area, but I'm just asking everyone to try to do their best.  I'm not saying anyone has to be perfect.

sarahjc, I'm not saying that I'm going to avoid someone that has bad spelling and punctuation, but I'm also not going to go out of my way to RP with them and will choose to RP with someone that is putting the effort into their spelling and puncuation if there is such a person around.

However, to be fair, Bestatte, the person that originally brought up Nazis was on the side of those of us advocating correct spelling and punctuation and was also directly referring to me.  She knows me IRL and calls me a grammar nazi there as well.  Of course, noone else would know this, and could have just picked up the term and ran with it since it was already being used.
Quote from: Malifaxis
We need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiteration
spawnloser knows all

Quote from: Spoon
A magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2003, 07:16:14 PM »
This is addressed to Sarahjc...

It seems like you're worried about people putting down others for making an occasional spelling or grammar error.

Everyone makes mistakes. Espicially me... Trust me. Anyways, I believe the issue being discussed here are people who don't even attempt to punctuate and capitilize their sentences correctly. Look, I probably spelled plenty wrong in the last sentence alone. But the point is, I use periods, commas, and a pretty little capital letter at the start of my sentence. It's perfectly understandable if some one, in game, says something like;
The blue dwarf says, in sirihish:
"what a nice day. Perhaps we can go scrab hunting later?"

He didn't capitilize the first sentence... But that's okay. We can tell, from other sentences and past expierences, that the player understands the basic rules of capitilization and punctuation, so there is no need to grill him on this minor slip up. However, if he said something similar too...
The blue dwarf says, in sirihish:
"nice day lets go scrab hunting later on ok"

...Then it's a different story. The former is no big deal, but the latter is something that really needs correction.

That's my opinion, and probably the opinion of many others, I'd assume. Anyone that has a problem with the occasional grammatical, spelling, or punctuation slip-up should be slapped. There. I said it.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
You find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
A staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

sarahjc

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2003, 08:52:24 AM »
FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit

It's not so much that I think that they are being picked on, more so that people complain about it over and over to the same people on this board.

They say things like

“I’ll choose to RP with someone else rather than talk to that lazy person who doesn’t use proper grammar or punctuation.”
Or
“You are shooting yourself in the foot.”

As far as I’m concerned it’s them who are shooting the game in foot.  I say fix the problem, don’t complain here. If the grammar is that bad that it is ruining your RP experience, say something to that person when the situation happens. Don’t choose not to talk to them. How is that helping? And how is it even IC?

And the reason I wrote this was because the first post said:

Lately I have noticed that when there is a very decent role-player and he or she does not use capital letters or proper punctuation it bothers me.

I don't think I expect a person to have perfect grammar, I think that's unrealistic for Armageddon since frequently we shorten words or make them up. I just sincerely wish people would capitalize the beginning of a sentence and the letter 'I'.

And then the ranting began…..

Very Decent role play and a few capital letters missing. If it is that big of a bother to you tell the other person. What is the worst that can happen? They start to make more of an effort… Ohh….

But for those complaining about the occasional period missing or the quickly written sentence missing the capitalization require that you will probably see every 10 lines or so….. Well, you’re like that guy that comes into work every morning at seven 7am and is secretly pissed when everyone else strolls in around 9am and they don’t care nor notice that you put in extra hours. When your writing down everything your supposed to say, do, think and feel…. your probably going to make a few mistakes.

Get over it.
Quote from: jmordetsky
Sarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant
"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

creeper386

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2003, 01:44:57 PM »
Well... You say that you should still RP with it because it's not IC. Well, I come here to play. I don't even talk to people on the internet that type without caps or puncuation. I think it looks childish. It's hard to read, and I'm not going to put my effort to talk with someone who's not going to put even the SLIGHTEST effort into typing.

It's even worse on the MUD. I understand the slip up from time to time. But if your slipping up constantly, rather from typing to quickly, or just plain lazyness. YES, I well avoid you. That doesn't mean if I have to deal with you IC I won't, but I'm not going to SEEK out the person. It's common to seek out good RPers to play with to get more enjoyment. Basic understanding of capitilization and puncuation is necessarry to me. End of statement.

Reasons I don't mention it straight to a person... One, I don't feel comfortable doing it. It's not my place to correct people. Two, when you do that sort of thing, the person is far more likely to feel insulted and get bitchy with you then anything change. Three, it's most likely other people that are around well also jump on me, saying it's their role and they can type however they want. No, I'd prefer the easiest way, is not dealing with them unless I have to.

May not help much... But *I* shouldn't have to put MORE effort into getting someone to put in SOME effort. If you have this problem because you are typing to fast. Slow the fuck down. I'd prefer to wait instead of constantly seeing something that looks like a five year old who's in a hurry. If you just don't know where to put a capital or puncuation? Probably should learn or not communicate through textual means. What consists of constantly? Anything that isn't just a slip up here or there. Even one out of ten can be getting alittle crazy.

Now, grammar or spelling I don't mind as much because, you know, I'm not that great... And it could be just how THAT character says something. But there STILL should be basic capitalization and such, NO IC excuse, or OOC excuse for that matter, to be lacking it. It makes things SO MUCH easier to read it's not even funny.

Creeper isn't ranting. He's speaking his mind. If you want him to rant, leave a message at the sound of the beep, and he won't get back to you.
21sters Unite!

crymerci

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2003, 03:12:49 PM »
Quote from: "sarahjc"
Very Decent role play and a few capital letters missing. If it is that big of a bother to you tell the other person. What is the worst that can happen? They start to make more of an effort… Ohh…

Sorry, that's not something I want to do.  Every time I've seen someone corrected for anything in OOCs (including one time when I did it) it turns into a protracted back and forth and ends up with no good feelings on either side.  And heaven forbid if there are other people in the room, that just adds to the volume of OOCing.

Nope, sorry.  Not gonna do it.  Even if it was worth the hassle, the "corrected" party usually doesn't change their mind about how they do things, anyway.

Quote from: "sarahjc"
But for those complaining about the occasional period missing or the quickly written sentence missing the capitalization require that you will probably see every 10 lines or so….. Well, you’re like that guy that comes into work every morning at seven 7am and is secretly pissed when everyone else strolls in around 9am and they don’t care nor notice that you put in extra hours. When your writing down everything your supposed to say, do, think and feel…. your probably going to make a few mistakes.

Get over it.

Uh, no.  First of all, the original poster, and I think most people that have posted in support, aren't talking about occasional slips.  They're talking about people who constantly and as regular practice fail to put forth any effort whatsoever.

That would be more like an office full of people who arrive every day promptly at 9 am, giving dirty looks to the guy who always comes in whenever he feels like it, whether it's 9 or 10 or noon or not at all.
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.