Nouns and consonants

Started by Curious Linguist, June 26, 2003, 07:59:07 AM

I was reading the information on Languages when I saw that it had information such as how many vowels the spoken form has and what vowels are used in the written form. I found it odd to provide that information (seeings how writing is illegal) but I noticed that it didn't provide any information on vowels or consenants for speaking for Sirihish.

It seems to be it would be more likely for a human linguist to know more about Sirihish (such as how many vowels it has and how many consenants) instead of only knowing that for Mirrukim. Just thought I'd point it out ;)

I'm not staff, but my instinctive response is that all of the information on the website and helpfiles is generally OOC, and that you the player, make the decision as to how much of that knowledge your character would have, and how to apply it.  It could be useful in creating an accent, for example, or in an RP'd language lesson.

As for the information for sirihish, since it's the default tongue for the commonest race, I would say that it's average, kind of like you don't say as much about a human's wisdom or strength, you just use them as the medium that you compare dwarves and elves to.

:shrug:  Just my opinion.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and writing is only illegal in some places.  For all we know the elves, manti, dwarves, gith, halflings and gypsies have libraries and stuff elsewhere.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.