Started by 5 day lifespan, June 25, 2003, 11:59:07 AM

I was going to check the helpfiles first to assist me in asking this question, but Arm is down, so Ill just ask as I remember.
 I recall that in the helpfile on Karma it mentions several of the ways one can earn it, and one of those was helping people with the game and its environment.  If that is the case, can people get positive notes in their favor for karma consideration by displaying their helpfullness on the GDB in a responsible, non IC harming way?

Just a curious 5DL, who is confident that once he has a character who reaches its 11th day, he will have all the clout he needs to get his psionic Nhilazi Gith approved.
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

It's certainly something we'd notice, and possibly give karma for, yes. Be aware, though, that a lot of people have GDB names that are very different than their account names, so we may not necessarily know who is who.

Hey Sanvean, so, your saying it is at least maybe possible, Ok how about going the other direction, is it possible to lose karma the same way?

X-D figures if it is true then he has about -400 karma and must keep his current char forever.

I can see the char creation screen now.

all blank except for a new selection -400:Gimpka

class selection -400a: stuffed toy
                     -400b:lemming guild
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I don't think I've removed karma for any board posts. If someone was consistently belligerant, confrontative, did a lot of flaming and bashing staff, yes, it would be possible, but I suspect it's more likely someone would get banned from the board and/or the game for that.  I can think of one user who's had what I consider staff bashing in their sig for nigh on a year, and they haven't suffered any for it.

My impression though is that generally someone's behavior on this board and on the game are usually quite similar, so if they're being disruptive here, they're probably doing it on the game as well and getting penalized for it.

Ok, thanks Sanvean.

Whew:)
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I got a bad comment the other day
:(
although I got a good comment the other week...
no... :(
Veteran Newbie

[cliche]My karma ran over my dogma.[/cliche]
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Hhhhmm, thought that was a bumper sticker and it went, My karma ran over your dogma...or maybe the other way around.
Lizzie:

I've learned that comments, whether good or bad must be taken in stride. Do not expect more karma just becuase you got a good comment. And if you lose some karma it isn't the end of the world. When I was still new to the game I was doing things right in a role that clicked for me, and I gained the d-elf option. Then, after that character died I tried out a desert elf, but wasn't playing him right, I wasn't skill maxing or anything like that, but I did something that warranted a loss of karma. I was upset, but I continued playing despite that and since then I believe I have become more responisble and better for it. It put me in check, and now im a better player for it, having since gained back that point of karma and more.

Karma is the ability to realistically play a role, as well as a level of trust between yourself and the staff members. People make mistakes and accidents happen. Deal with the bad and embrace the good, all you can do.

This reminds me of, "Your karma ran over my dogma."  :)
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Wow, way to throw those in there while I was writing my post!
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

I was under the impression that if you recieve a bad comment (especially bad enough to warrant karma loss) then the staff should notify you of the problem.  Is this true?  It would seem kinda silly if they just wrote bad things about you on your account and took away karma, but never let you know so that you could -correct- the problem.

Myself. after I got my bad comment. (From an obviously bad rp...which made me laugh hilareously at the stupidity of it as I did it) ;) I actually bullshited and then convinced myself, of a reason why it wasn't very bad...although I was smart enough not to reply
;p
Veteran Newbie

Every person I know who has lost karma has been informed of it and the reasons for it.

But of course I don't know everybody who has lost karma:)
Lizzie:

It is our intent not to remove Karma without letting the player know why. It certainly would not be fair nor productive to do so. However, this is an ideal and does not always happen. If you lose creation options (which Karma roughly is represented by) and received no notification, I would highly suggest you contact the account and ask for feedback. It may just be that you had options that you were not supposed to, or that they were for a one time special application. Even in these cases, you should probably be informed.

Remember that comments are typically positive or negative reinforcement for something that was done that night. Players usually do not receive Karma for one event, but for an overall history of responsible play. If you get a positive comment about something you did that night, you won't necessarily receive Karma for that specific event.

I have know lots of players who are sketchy about their play. When others are around them, or they think they are being watched, they are fantastic players, but when they are alone they completely slip out of character and sometimes do things that they know aren't right. These people may also get positive comments and receive no karma. The comments they receive may be in the form of "Some fantastic RP tonight. You really stuck to what your character would do despite OOCly knowing it may end in death. I would like to see you extend this sort of great play to solo situations as well." I know a lot of players overlook the suggestion at the end, which is really a very constructive way of saying "You have great potential if you would just be consistant."

Cerebus

Quote from: "Sanvean"I can think of one user who's had what I consider staff bashing in their sig for nigh on a year, and they haven't suffered any for it.

I've taken an unhabitual moment to scour the GDB and upon reading of this post I have the suspision that you're talking about me, Sanvean.

Just so you know, I didn't mean anything by it.  It was merely a vague gesture in reply to the mail that you guys sent me about my "offensive" cartoon signature where the guy kills 50 girls with a sword.....  Anyway, I think I was in a bad mood when I posted that signature, wasn't playing the mud much either.  Was a bit uncalled for I suppose.  Shouldn't happen again.

Its all good now though.  Nice and clean signature.

Quote from: "Cerebus"It is our intent not to remove Karma without letting the player know why. It certainly would not be fair nor productive to do so. However, this is an ideal and does not always happen.

This isn't the case for giving karma, though, right?

I know I was pleasantly surprised after my last PC died that I had received karma, but I don't think I've ever had a comment.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Yeah, I know why I got half of my karma, but as for the other half....I have no clue.  I'd like to know what it was so that I could possibly exhibit more of whatever it was.  I know all of the vague examples, but sometimes I need something more concrete to understand it.