the Way and max stun

Started by Cuusardo, June 25, 2003, 06:30:35 AM

I've noticed that when my character is connected to someone else's mind while using the way, my max stun goes down by 10 points.  Is this supposed to happen?
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I haven't noticed it with Contact, but I've noticed the same thing with Barrier, if you have successfully set up a barrier your max stun goes down 10 points.  

My theory is that your mind cannot become fully refreshed while are exerting it psionically.  The same way you have  to sleep to regain that last bit of stamina, you have to stop using the Way to regain that last bit of stun.  If you are resting and not actively using a contact for a while (perhaps you are waiting for a reply before you psi your next message) then you can sometimes regenerate stun faster than it is drained off for maintaining the contact.  But it's just a theory, I could be totally wrong.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

With the stamina drain, your "max" stamina doesn't drop. Only your "current" stamina. So if you normally have 114/114 and you get a drop, it becomes like - 100/114. The max remains the same. With the Way, the max drops when it's activated.

My theory is that you are actively exerting stress on the brain in extreme concentration, and therefore you cannot possibly utilize that part of the brain for anything else while you're using the Way. And therefore the "maximum" amount of brain power available drops to reflect this. Once you release your hold on another person's mind, the max goes back up to full availability.

Just a theory to explain ICly an OOC mechanic :)

A little secret here, since the responders seem to have never played them: certain non human races lower their max stun while exerting psionic energy.  I think it has something to do with how psionics works.  I seem to recall something in the help files about humans embracing the whole psionic thing a lot easier than most other races, which is why only humans can be mindbenders.  Hope that helps.

5DL
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

Hrm, I think all of my characters (including my current human one) experience a drop in their max stun while connected to the way; I just took it as normal.

Gawynn
Ladies and gents, we're still alive
By the skin of our teeth, now it's killing time
Angel in our pocket, devil by our side
We ain't going nowhere, cuz' heroes never die!"

Blood of Heroes - Megadeth

Not to break any theories here, but I've seen Cuusardo play, since we live together.  Now, the reason she's asking is because none of my characters (I've played city elf, half elf and human) have seen this max stun drop when they're in contact with someone...her only character so far is a human that this happens for.  Any other theories?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Aye mine as well
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Yes, as far as I know, that is the intended behavior.

(not an official staff reply, just someone who has watched this a lot)

-- X

Okay, people are being a little vague here...intended behavior being the max stamina drop, Xygax?  ...yours drops as well or doesn't drop, Krath?

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

To clarify things, what happens is max stun goes from X/99 to X/89 and it stays that way until contact or the barrier is broken.  That's what I was wondering is supposed to happen.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Quote from: "spawnloser"Okay, people are being a little vague here...intended behavior being the max stamina drop, Xygax?  ...yours drops as well or doesn't drop, Krath?
I have never seen (%T in prompt) max stun not drop when in contact.  I suspect you should pay closer attention, though I may be wrong.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

I've played characters where it always drops and I've played chars where it rarely or never does.

I am guessing that the stun loss (and maybe even the amount loss) is related to the contact skill and the character in question's wisdom.

That would be my guess since it can go both ways.
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

I'd guess it isn't related to wisdom at all... I've seen the stun drop all the way acrossed from stupid dwarves to intelligent elves. I've never NOT seen the drop... Ever...

Creeper who thinks those that never get the drop are in secret some sort of powerful mindbending creature.
21sters Unite!

Ok, so I could be wrong, but it never happened with my human characters, and always does with my half elves.  All of my characters have had ok wisdom, but their endurance has varied greatly, could that be the issue?
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

Maybe it does have something to do with skill, but I can guarantee that it doesn't have anything to do with wisdom...I won't say why for IC reasons.  I just know that I did check with my current character...I have %t/%T in my prompt and when in contact with someone, the max stun does not drop.

Well, on all of my chars, ever, regardless of race max stun goes down while a psionic skill is active, So I am sure it is supposed to be that way.

Besides, only way I know of to be able to tell if your barrier is actually on, remember, barrier is kinda like listen and scan, it is either on or off and lasts for a certain amount of time, in the case of barrier I know that amount of time depends on your wis and skill in barrier, Also, remember, to get rid of a barrier you need only type break and with a bit of rest the stun will go back up to normal.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: "X-D"only way I know of to be able to tell if your barrier is actually on

Never type stat, eh?  ;)
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Actually Rare...But I did on sunday and noticed the barrier flag, but max stun is so much easier, is knowledge at a glance as it twer...besides, been using it for a few years now, habit :lol:
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job