Color Triggers for MUSHclient

Started by Aaron Goulet, November 04, 2009, 11:56:08 PM

November 04, 2009, 11:56:08 PM Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 02:01:31 AM by Aaron Goulet
One of my frustrations with ArmageddonMUD is the lack of ANSI color support, so I have created a set of MUSHclient triggers that colorize and highlight important in-game events.  Realizing that I am probably not the only one who might benefit from this, I uploaded my trigger file here to share with you all.

I'd like to emphasize that these triggers do not actually perform any automated commands, but rather highlight and color the following output:

• Room titles and exits.
  • Says, tells, shouts, asks, and the like, whether or not you're sitting at a table.
  • Telepathic messages sent or received via the Way.
  • Thinks and feels.
  • Anything within quotation marks.

Remember that you'll need to save the .mct file to your computer, and then import it into your world in the 'triggers' section of your configuration page.  Once you've imported the triggers, feel free to change the colors and styles to your preferences, but I'd recommend not tampering with the trigger itself unless you're familiar with regular expressions.

That's it!  Enjoy!
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

I'm working on something similiar with C-Mud, myself. I would share it, but it goes much deeper than simple highlighting.
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

November 05, 2009, 12:35:30 AM #2 Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 12:39:26 AM by MarshallDFX
Can some of the triggers be disabled with relative ease?  If I only want a couple of those things highlighted?

Aaron Goulet wins Arm.
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

Quote from: Xagon on November 05, 2009, 12:02:19 AM
I'm working on something similiar with C-Mud, myself. I would share it, but it goes much deeper than simple highlighting.

I'm still using z-mud and am in the same skimmer. It'd be nice for newer players to have access to color highlighting if nothing else because it really does make things a lot easier as well as a lot prettier on the eyes, but stripping away IC-related info and distributing a file that's already set up is problematic sometimes when you have different program versions come along that are no longer compatible with the files posted, etc. I'm wondering if it would be easier to do something similar we have in the past and compile everyone's generic trigger patterns (minus any IC-related ones) and put it in a section on the website?

- HK
- HK

Quote from: MarshallDFX on November 05, 2009, 12:35:30 AM
Can some of the triggers be disabled with relative ease?  If I only want a couple of those things highlighted?

Yep.  Here's how you do it:

1. From the menu, go to Game -> Configure -> Triggers....
2. Highlight the trigger you want to disable, and press the Edit... button.
3. Uncheck the Enabled checkbox.

And you're done!  You can always go back in and re-check that checkbox later to use the trigger again.

By the way, I found out that one of the triggers is broken (the last one on the list that's supposed to detect when people hit you); you may have noticed some pink, italicized text at the mantis head as a result.  I've removed it from the .mct file and re-uploaded, but if you've already imported it, you'll need to manually remove that particular trigger by selecting it and clicking Remove.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

nice, but that's all?

I don't have time to clean mine up now (lots of too IC stuff), but i will eventually. And when our powers combine . . .

Quote from: Agent_137 on November 05, 2009, 03:15:01 AM
nice, but that's all?

I don't have time to clean mine up now (lots of too IC stuff), but i will eventually. And when our powers combine . . .

By all means, please share them when you get the chance to tidy them up!  I'm thinking we can compile a more complete "community release", eventually.  I'm willing to host it, as well as any player-made coloring schemes for other clients.  E-mail me at aaron@gouletonline.com if you have any you'd like to share, ladies and gentlemen.

FYI: The trigger file I posted here is version 1.0, and has only seen minimal testing/use.

I had zMUD and now CMUD set up with colors now since I started ARM.  Highlighting things that are important to me.  Like you though, some of them and the scripts I've put in are a bit sensitive but if anyone is interested I can try and pull out the color triggers.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

I'll take a look and try it out.  I use a few Highlights, but not too many because I'm not that talented with them.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

I've done this on my own. Things I have colored:
Each language with it's own color
say/says/ask/asks/whisper/whispers - All one color
You, your
gives you
telepathic
arrives(for when lots of people are following, then you can memorize how many arrives you should have behind you, and know if you loose someone.)

I mostly use it for things I can miss in spam, and would likely be important things I would see.

From you list, Aaron, I think the only thing I would add is languages. It's helped me a lot to notice when I'm NOT speaking the language I want to be speaking. ;-)
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

November 06, 2009, 01:56:17 AM #11 Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 03:03:50 PM by Agent_137
Quote from: Aaron Goulet on November 05, 2009, 03:26:06 AM
By all means, please share them when you get the chance to tidy them up!  I'm thinking we can compile a more complete "community release", eventually.

get my sanitized MCL file here:
---sorry the link is broken---
(you should also get my infobar and put it into the mushclient/scripts directory, login, and enter /InstallInfobar() to get it working.)

Quote from: FuSoYa on November 05, 2009, 10:43:42 AM

I had zMUD and now CMUD set up with colors now since I started ARM.  Highlighting things that are important to me.  Like you though, some of them and the scripts I've put in are a bit sensitive but if anyone is interested I can try and pull out the color triggers.

Brandon

I'd be -VERY- interested in seeing those scripts, especially if you've configured the automapper to any degree.
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

Quote from: Xagon on November 07, 2009, 08:10:16 AM
Quote from: FuSoYa on November 05, 2009, 10:43:42 AM

Brandon

I'd be -VERY- interested in seeing those scripts, especially if you've configured the automapper to any degree.

I have not configured the automapper but send me a PM with your email and I'll show you what I got.

Brandon
brandon....

Tried to DL it and it's saying it's a broken link.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

This is something that's REALLY easy to set up on your own.

On MUSHclient:
Display
Highlight word

You type in the word or -phrase-(I've put in whole sdescs before) you wanna highlighted.

Click on the square next to "Text" to change you color.

You can highlight ANYTHING you want.

If you have questions, feel free to IM me.
The man asks you:
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Unless I'm looking at it wrong, that only works on one thing.  You can have multiple triggers.
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

Quote from: Xeran Van Houten on November 09, 2009, 05:25:37 PM
Unless I'm looking at it wrong, that only works on one thing.  You can have multiple triggers.

You just do it again for each word. :-p
The man asks you:
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

I only highlight two things, :Templar, and Cilops

Both bright red.
Quote from: Scarecrow on February 21, 2014, 04:45:46 PMIn Zalanthas, people don't dig graves with shovels, they dig them with their own tongues.

Quote from: tortall on November 10, 2009, 12:04:45 AM
Unless I'm looking at it wrong, that only works on one thing.  You can have multiple triggers.

you can use * to match anything if you want to highlight the entire line.

if you want to go batshit crazy like I did and learn regex for superman like matching, you can do that too. Here's a good regex tutorial:
http://www.anaesthetist.com/mnm/perl/Findex.htm#regex.htm

p.s.
IM me i like to help with stuff like this more than I like to play armageddon.

Quote from: Agent_137 on November 11, 2009, 11:40:24 AM
Quote from: tortall on November 10, 2009, 12:04:45 AM
Unless I'm looking at it wrong, that only works on one thing.  You can have multiple triggers.

you can use * to match anything if you want to highlight the entire line.

if you want to go batshit crazy like I did and learn regex for superman like matching, you can do that too. Here's a good regex tutorial:
http://www.anaesthetist.com/mnm/perl/Findex.htm#regex.htm

p.s.
IM me i like to help with stuff like this more than I like to play armageddon.

*Brandon
brandon....

If anyone would be willing to share some zmud color triggers I'd lurve it. My eyes start to cross after awhile, color helps me break the text up into more readable bits. I can be reached by pm here, or on aim at mrdvant2004.