Author Topic: Setting up a Client.  (Read 1975 times)

Kol

Setting up a Client.
« on: July 22, 2009, 03:59:44 PM »
Welcome!

So, you want to know how to set up a client, Mabye its your first time Mudding, mabye you've never set a client up before...
Don't worry, its a simple as installing a game, or piece of software.

Firstly, your going to have to decide what client to use. Then how best to set up so said client to your preferences. For this demestration, I'll be using One for Windows, called MUSHclient.

Ok, so to start of, were going to need a table of contents I guess......soooo

1. Whats a Client?
2. Where do I get one?
3. How do I set it up?
4. How do I connect to Armageddon?
5. How do I use the features?
6. Now what?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 09:45:20 PM by Kol »
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Kol

Re: Setting up a Client.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 04:05:58 PM »
1. Whats a Client?

Quite simply, a Client is  program that allows you to connect to any number of MUD based games out there, inclusive of, of course, Armageddon.

By using a Client from your desktop, you get many more features than you normally would from a web based client, run by the game host or site itself, Such as Aliasing, Macro's, Logging, triggers and many more. these will be explained in the features section.
A staff member sends:

Kol

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 04:34:17 PM »
2. Where do I get one?

Good question, quite useful to know these things really.
Well, to make things easy, below is a list of links to our players favourite Clients, for both Mac, Windows and Linux..

Clients

MUSHclient
A free client, developed by Nick Gammon, easy simple, and has loads of features available, such as auto-logging, as many alaiases macros and triggers as you can think up, and coulour select for key-word strings (if your a brainbox)

Gmud
Another free one, has simple but limited alais, trigger and Macro functions.

Atlantis
A free, easy to use client for the MAC OS, has all the same features as above, as well as logging in HTML, a nice little piece from Riverdark studios.

MUDlet
A snazzy cross-os MUD-client.

As well as these four, free to use clients, there are a vast number of other clients available on the net, most free, some not.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 12:06:20 AM by Kol »
A staff member sends:

Kol

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 04:36:02 PM »
3. How do I set it up?

To start, your going to need to locate the set-up file from wherever you've saved it, double click that and you should be met with a screen like this

From there, after selecting where you want the file to be and running the setup, you'll see this.

You'll notice a bar with numbers, just click and drag that to the task-bar above it to meld them. The main button you will want is the one that looks like a sheet of paper with a shine in the corner at the top left of the screen, Click that.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 10:06:59 AM by Kol »
A staff member sends:

Kol

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 04:37:07 PM »
5. How do I connect to Armageddon?

You should then be brought to this screen:-

I've already filled out the information, it runs as:-

World name: This can be whatever you want, I've settled for Armageddon.

TCP/IP Adress: In here you'll want www.armageddon.org

Port: This is a four digit code used to find the server and connect, one service provider could host a few MUD's Armageddons is 4050

REMEMBER! You'll want to tick the box that says 'save world on close' this will allow you to save the world settings so you can open it again without going through all this!

Click ok and you should be connected to Armageddon! But we're not done yet, you need a PC, for this, you need an Account. First though, lets go through some settings that will help you later, so for now, choose (X) Disconnect.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 09:43:32 PM by Kol »
A staff member sends:

Kol

Re: Setting up scrip a Client.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 04:38:18 PM »
5. How do I use the features??

I'm going to focus on two things that will help you during your time playing arm, the log feature, and aliases.

Firstly, after disconnecting click FILE>GLOBAL PREFERENCES this will bring you back to the connection screen, I want you to focus on the one that reads 'LOGGING', third on the list.

In this menu we can choose a file to save a log of all your forays into Zalanthas. The question mark icon shows you how to code to attach date and times to your logs, and you can choose   where they go, so if you want them in your Documents folder instead of your game folder, it's as easy as a couple of clicks.

NOTE: Logging captures and collects the script that Armageddon uses as it's media, and stores them as a .txt or HTML file, and requires maintenance to keep both tidy and memory efficient, a good way is to start a new log for every new PC, and carry out regular cut and snips of scenes you like.

Once your happy with how your logging is set up, move on down to the Aliases tab.

Click 'New' and you should get a box like the one above, in here you can input an Alias, a 'quick command'.

In the ALIAS box I've put LL,

Then in the SEND box I've typed:-  L N, L E, L S, L W on separate lines and then clicked the 'ignore case' check-box.

Now when I'm in Zalanthas with my PC and I put LL into my command line and hit enter, I'll look in all four directions, weather it's in capital letters or not. Remember, you have to put each new command on a new line.

Click OK, and you've just created the most time saving alias you can imagine for the game. Now, we need to get you set up with an account.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 10:50:30 PM by Kol »
A staff member sends:

Kol

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 04:38:59 PM »
6. Now what?

Easy, you need an account, without one of these, you Can't create a character, and without that, all of this would be pointless. So, lets arrange an account.

Connect to Armageddon using your client, you'll be met with what we like to call the 'Mantis Head' or Welcome screen.

You have a few options, we're interested in (N) New account.

To register for the game you will need:

A valid e-mail (Note: Hotmail has known issues with the Armageddon mail servers and we cannot accept responsibility for non-receipt of e-mails)
A memorable name (You will not be able to use this for a Character)
And a secure password

Once completed, it can take up to a day to get approved, it's suggested you use this time to learn about the game-world and it's people, and I've added a few important links here:

Mansa's New Player Guide <- This is a must read for any player, new or old, written by a player for players, and he's a Helper too!

A thread discussing what new and old Players should really know

Taven's comprehensive list of Neat little coded things A list of awesome things that gets added to regularly, always worth keeping an eye on.

Clan specific information Detailing what clans are currently active or not, and a brief sketch of what they're like.

And remember to connect to Helper Chat through Armageddon's homepage if you need any help, or have any questions, they really are players!

« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 08:29:04 AM by Kol »
A staff member sends: