Author Topic: What guide topics would you like to see?  (Read 5470 times)

Cutthroat

• Helper
What guide topics would you like to see?
« on: July 14, 2009, 02:17:02 PM »
Since this forum needs some lovin' and I (and hopefully a few others) are in a writing mood... I ask you the following question:

What guide topics would you like to see?

The thread is simple: post guide topics you'd think would be cool for this forum and, eventually, Original Submissions, even ones you really wouldn't write by yourself, so that others can grab the ideas and get to work on them. Others you want to work on are fine too - maybe you'll find a co-author in this thread.

I have a few ideas myself, including a subguild guide for nomads like other similar guides on the site.

Go!

Thunkkin

Re: What guide topics would you like to see?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 02:27:02 PM »
I'd love to see a politicking guide.

I've been starting to figure these things out over the past year, but it's still a bit of a mystery to me.

What sorts of things do politickers try to achieve?  Obviously, wealth and power.  But if one had to boil it down, what are the general categories of political strife.  Or, perhaps, what issues/events tend to be the center of political plots?

Whenever I hear about one of these plots, I think, "Wow! That's a great idea/plot!"  Are there certain ways to consistently come up with these?  I'm sure some people just do it naturally by following their character's motivations, but does anyone step back, gauge who the power players are, and then (with the knowledge above of what /sorts/ of issues/events tend to be the center of a plot) push in a certain direction?

What is possible and what should be steered away from?
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

mansa

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 02:57:34 PM »
I'd like to see a better one that teaches people how to install a telnet client, how to create a character, and more of what to expect from a MUD game, to people who have never played a MUD before, or never even heard of one.

(I figure the guide I wrote up here is a good introduction AFTER they are in game)
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

MarshallDFX

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 08:03:56 PM »
Guide to making awesome special apps?

Cutthroat

• Helper
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 03:10:55 PM »
All good ideas. I'm starting to work on brainstorming for them too, just so you know.

Keep them coming!

Xagon

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 07:58:26 PM »
Configuring ZMud. The blasted thing still freezes on me if I do something wrong.
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Besides, the players know best

Aaron Goulet

• Goulet Online
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 08:03:18 PM »
Configuring ZMud. The blasted thing still freezes on me if I do something wrong.

I know this doesn't directly address your issue, but if you need a free MUD client with the basics, try The Bean.
Quote from: Zoltan
When in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

SMuz

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 06:59:24 AM »
A guide to writing character updates to clan staff.
Maybe an elf survival guide. None of my elves survived.
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Jengal

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 07:58:45 AM »
How to make weekly updates and who to send them to o;

Archbaron

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 01:03:59 PM »
A guide to writing character updates to clan staff.
How to make weekly updates and who to send them to o;
I'll have one up this afternoon.

EDIT: Done.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 02:26:50 PM by Archbaron »
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Jengal

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 04:10:57 PM »
Ah!

Thank you!!

Archbaron

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 03:18:26 PM »
I'd love to see a politicking guide.

I've been starting to figure these things out over the past year, but it's still a bit of a mystery to me.
I can see a guide like this becoming possible, but my only issue with it is that it issues somewhat of a blank check to new politicians. I like it when people find their own political style on their own, not just copy techniques in a guide. If you're playing someone who gets embroiled in politics, it's more useful to step back and examine their character and think of how they would react to the situation than it is to just apply a generic technique.

What sorts of things do politickers try to achieve?  Obviously, wealth and power.  But if one had to boil it down, what are the general categories of political strife.  Or, perhaps, what issues/events tend to be the center of political plots?
Generally, politicians are either trying to fill their pockets with lots of 'sid, impress their superiors to get a promotion, or dig out esoteric knowledge for their own use. I would say those are the three big political battlefields that are hard to avoid. Issues that tend to be the center of political plots are wide and varied, especially since the new immortal policy on plots. It changes all the time, and you never really know until you dive head-first into it.

Whenever I hear about one of these plots, I think, "Wow! That's a great idea/plot!"  Are there certain ways to consistently come up with these?  I'm sure some people just do it naturally by following their character's motivations, but does anyone step back, gauge who the power players are, and then (with the knowledge above of what /sorts/ of issues/events tend to be the center of a plot) push in a certain direction?
I think that the most important part of a plot is to create a subject that everyone can relate to. If the outcome is only going to make you better and only going to affect you long-term, then you can expect little support and more resistance. But if it draws in everyone, uses a wide variety of skills, and effects everyone involved long-term (good or bad), then you can expect more involvement from your minions and from other politicians. In order to consistently come up with engaging plots, you must think as your character would think and try to attain things that no one ever really thinks about. For example, say your character is fond of exotic items. Perhaps you could create a plot amongst your minions to fetch you some rare item from a tribe. This kind of plot seems to only affect the initiator, but in fact it can effect everyone. Exposing characters to other cultures is paramount of multifaceted character development, and can really help define them. But that is just a very loose example.

What is possible and what should be steered away from?
Don't give your minions stuff to do for the heck of keeping them busy. It wears both parties out.
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Kol

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 04:57:49 PM »
I'd like to see a better one that teaches people how to install a telnet client, how to create a character, and more of what to expect from a MUD game, to people who have never played a MUD before, or never even heard of one.

(I figure the guide I wrote up here is a good introduction AFTER they are in game)

I'll start One....

But before I do, I'll want a list of sites that offer Telnet clients, I know Mush, *-mud....and well thats about it.....

* refers to any letter that comes before -mid, such a C-mud or Z-mud.

If people could PM me a list of thier favorite telnet clients, Including ones that can be downloaded onto phones, this would really help.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Archbaron

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 05:22:21 PM »

I'll start One....

But before I do, I'll want a list of sites that offer Telnet clients, I know Mush, *-mud....and well thats about it.....

If people could PM me a list of thier favorite telnet clients, Including ones that can be downloaded onto phones, this would really help.
There's no need to PM it, really. I know a good portion of the playerbase, myself included, use MUSHclient.
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

MarshallDFX

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 05:59:55 PM »

I'll start One....

There's no need to PM it, really. I know a good portion of the playerbase, myself included, use MUSHclient.

I am a user of Wintin.  This should be an Ask the Players poll.  Surprised it hasn't been done.

Kol

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 12:34:31 AM »
Starting one I guess.....
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Xagon

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 10:35:42 PM »

I know this doesn't directly address your issue, but if you need a free MUD client with the basics, try The Bean.

I know I'm going to get shit for this, but...

The automapper feature provides a graphical element for the game that I really appreciate. More than just letting me take notes on various rooms, it lets me visually judge relative distances between two points. That, and it's less of a hassle than having several sheets of graphing paper in front of me.

Does anyone use a windows-based client with a stable, no-frills automapper?

Archbaron

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 10:42:51 PM »

The automapper feature provides a graphical element for the game that I really appreciate. More than just letting me take notes on various rooms, it lets me visually judge relative distances between two points. That, and it's less of a hassle than having several sheets of graphing paper in front of me.

Crayons and grid paper, baby.
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

MarshallDFX

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 11:41:24 PM »

Honest assessment, I've tried a bunch of different automappers/map makers (only free ones mind).. and I found that graph paper and pencils, for its simplicity, works the best.  Maybe I just never found the right one.

jstorrie

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 12:13:29 AM »
Armageddon isn't layed out on a proper grid–there are a number of loopbacks and switchbacks which can trip up an automapper. User beware.

Taven

• Helper
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »
From my handy dandy note book, article topic ideas...

Armageddon Article Topic IDEAS

*101 things to teach
*Sawbones: Playing a physican
*The way of the (emoting) warrior
*Complex characters: Not an open book
*Tuluk: How to play it subtle
*Guide to Arms and Armor
*Guide to unusual clothing
*Biases and Bigotry: (For elves, magickers, gypsies, the south, the north, etc.)
*Zalanthian Hunting
*Forage Roleplay
*Mythical Creatures in a Mythical World
*Falconing
*Roleplaying dem accents
*Zalanthian Child Rearing
*The OOC aspects of Armageddon
*How to write Documentation

I haven't started on any of these yet, as of now they're all just ideas.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

jcljules

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 12:33:48 AM »
Somebody please lock Taven in a tower. To rewrite the entire documentation of Armageddon. Forever.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

HTX

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2009, 01:13:10 AM »
I got an idea for a guide.

"Newbie guide - what the hell do I do now?"

The game is overwhelming and has a steep learning curve, and even if a newbie grasps the basic commands they'll often find themselves facing the question of "what now?" Pretty much, just some suggestions on what to do, how to go about getting RP and keeping their character alive.

Taven

• Helper
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2009, 07:02:53 PM »
Somebody please lock Taven in a tower. To rewrite the entire documentation of Armageddon. Forever.

A tower with wi-fi and a computer? I also require food and a toliet. That said, if the comment is to say "We already have documentation on all of this stuff" then I would say that either we don't, or that I believe it could be improved on, and/or brought up to date. If it's a comment to say "OMG, I wish we had this, can Taven do all Documents!" then thank you. I would like to say that other people can write documents too, as well or better then me. *hint hint, nudge, nudge*

As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Xagon

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009, 08:09:49 PM »
From my handy dandy note book, article topic ideas...

Armageddon Article Topic IDEAS

*101 things to teach
*Sawbones: Playing a physican
*The way of the (emoting) warrior
*Complex characters: Not an open book
*Tuluk: How to play it subtle
*Guide to Arms and Armor
*Guide to unusual clothing
*Biases and Bigotry: (For elves, magickers, gypsies, the south, the north, etc.)
*Zalanthian Hunting
*Forage Roleplay
*Mythical Creatures in a Mythical World
*Falconing
*Roleplaying dem accents
*Zalanthian Child Rearing
*The OOC aspects of Armageddon
*How to write Documentation

I haven't started on any of these yet, as of now they're all just ideas.

These.