Author Topic: Rocket Surgery > Cooking Difficulty  (Read 4714 times)

Shalooonsh

• Storyteller
Rocket Surgery > Cooking Difficulty
« on: June 23, 2009, 12:07:05 PM »
We've all done it at one time or another.  You're sitting there in your nice cozy little 1 bedroom (with a half bath) off of Caravan Way, trying to make a batch of grilled erdlu breast.  You're a bit tired from the Gaj drinking binge the night before, you add just a bit too much ammonium perchlorate, and WHAM, you end up with something the consistency of asphalt with half the taste.

Lets fix this.

I'm looking for submissions for MEAT cooking recipes that are too ridiculously hard or that always produce 'a charred hunk of ass' that is absolutely useless as food (but should, by all rights, make excellent sling ammunition).  I am also looking for the failure results of some of the meat recipes to be more nutritious.

What I need for each item:

Crafting recipe for the item.
Keywords of the item.
Short desc of the item.
Long desc of the item.
Main desc of the item.
Weight of the item.
Success echo (to the crafter) for crafting the item successfully.
Success echo (to the room) for crafting the item successfully.
Success echo (to the crafter) for failure to craft the item successfully.
Success echo (to the room) for failure to craft the item successfully.

Limit of 2 submissions per customer, offer void in Madagascar.  Must be 18 to enter.
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

Re: Rocket Surgery > Cooking Difficulty
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 06:43:49 AM »
Just to make sure we're on the same page here...

This is a call for -new- food recipes that will be extremely complex and hard to pull off? ... But with failure results that aren't quite so hardcore awful?

So like...

Success: a pan-glazed carru steak with browned butter.

Failure: a poorly-fried carru steak.

... Ja?
A lot of people hate getting randomly PK'ed

Pale Horse

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 07:20:46 AM »
Sounds to me like it's a request for those damned-hard meat recipies that almost ALWAYS seem to produce a chunk of charcoal hard enough that it should spontaneously turn into a diamond before your eyes.  The one's that are already implemented.

It's a change, to make them less "pass/fail but more fail" into "pass/fail but the fail isn't totally worthless".
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Shalooonsh

• Storyteller
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 12:26:29 PM »
Just to make sure we're on the same page here...

This is a call for -new- food recipes that will be extremely complex and hard to pull off? ... But with failure results that aren't quite so hardcore awful?

So like...

Success: a pan-glazed carru steak with browned butter.

Failure: a poorly-fried carru steak.

... Ja?

Nope.  This is a call for EASY meat recipes.

I want to know which recipes -should- be easy, and are not.  I will be lowering difficulties and perhaps making new recipes given the submissions.  I could poke through every cooking recipe and figure it out myself, but that would make me highly irate and liable to randomly attack people with NPCs when I see them cooking meat.  ;)

You guys do this every day.  You take a perfectly good hunk of meat and you turn it into a charcoal briquette.  I would like some variety here.

Lets say we have a hunk of flummox meat.  Right now the only recipe for the flummox meat is the 'grilled flummox meat' but that recipe has a high failure rate.  If you suggest a change, I will look at the recipe, and change it as I see fit.

If you also provide a recipe for a 'slightly grilled piece of flummox meat' and 'a pan-seared, sugar-basted, uber flummox steak of the elder things,' I would also consider putting them in.

Hope that clarifies a bit!  Post back with suggestions, recipes, or questions.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 12:30:42 PM by Shalooonsh »
From the rest of them.
And protected them.

Shalooonsh

• Storyteller
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 12:31:24 PM »
Sounds to me like it's a request for those damned-hard meat recipies that almost ALWAYS seem to produce a chunk of charcoal hard enough that it should spontaneously turn into a diamond before your eyes.  The one's that are already implemented.

It's a change, to make them less "pass/fail but more fail" into "pass/fail but the fail isn't totally worthless".

This.  Yes.
From the rest of them.
And protected them.

Agent_137

• a crapy clawn
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 05:15:14 PM »
i'm curious why it's so difficult for an IMM to get a tidy list of all the cooking recipes, (or brewing recipes for that matter), their ingredients, their difficulty level, etc. Is there no cooking.js file somewhere that houses simple readable code? Or a tidy database with a bunch of tables you could use sql to join together and get a tidy report out of?

If these don't exist, then I understand even more why Arm 2 needs to be built.

Wyx

• Legend
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM »
i'm curious why it's so difficult for an IMM to get a tidy list of all the cooking recipes, (or brewing recipes for that matter), their ingredients, their difficulty level, etc. Is there no cooking.js file somewhere that houses simple readable code? Or a tidy database with a bunch of tables you could use sql to join together and get a tidy report out of?

If these don't exist, then I understand even more why Arm 2 needs to be built.

It does exist, but it's a very difficult task of going through each recipe and cross-referencing the vnums in it with vnums in game to find out exactly what is going into it and what is coming out of it.

Besides, the players know best on things like this.

Kol

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 03:26:36 PM »
Besides, the players know best

Can I quote this??? ;D
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Naida

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 06:52:15 PM »
This has been a complaint I've seen for requests to find clothing items or other craftables and so on.  I'd really recommend one of your coders write a tool for the DB that can search for a key word or vnum, and pull up a list of all the other items that reference it.    So if you had it search for a chunk of flummox meat, it would find that vnum, then search the database for everything else that calls or checks for that number..  should give you what drops produces or sells flummox meat, everything with flummox in the name, and all the recipies that call for it.
Woot!  They covered me in wood and set me on fire!  They DO love me!

Fnord

• An introduction to qabalah
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 07:25:05 PM »
Sweet. Mek tongue tar tar coming right up! 8)
Amor Fati

MeTekillot

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 05:46:53 PM »

Limit of 2 submissions per customer, offer void in Madagascar.  Must be 18 to enter.

:-\
My thoughts.

A sex and torture survey upon character creation

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 05:01:28 AM »
I'm bumping this for info, and to gain more interest in the idea. Was this idea nixed?

Synthesis

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 11:03:31 PM »
I'm bumping this for info, and to gain more interest in the idea. Was this idea nixed?

Shalooonsh decided it was more interesting to implement cooking recipes where the failures resulted in you: lighting your cloak on fire and losing half your hp; lighting your hair on fire and receiving permanent disfiguring scars; falling into the fire and burning/destroying all your equipment; inadvertently summoning an elemental out of the fire and burning/destroying most of the immediate area.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Nyr

• Red Fangs
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 08:41:07 AM »
This has been a complaint I've seen for requests to find clothing items or other craftables and so on.  I'd really recommend one of your coders write a tool for the DB that can search for a key word or vnum, and pull up a list of all the other items that reference it.    So if you had it search for a chunk of flummox meat, it would find that vnum, then search the database for everything else that calls or checks for that number..  should give you what drops produces or sells flummox meat, everything with flummox in the name, and all the recipies that call for it.

We can do all of those things with the crafting tool we use as well as some tools in-game for staff.  What we can't easily do is draw on the player experience of what sucks.  As much as I enjoy playing, I don't get to do it as often as I would like.

I'm going to collect any info from this project (anything people already submitted) and use some of my own experiences to take a look at a few of these since I'm reviewing food as it is.  (in other words, please do not submit any more of these, I am bumping this thread to let you know this will be tied up)
Paint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.