Crafting; Am I missing something?

Started by 5 day lifespan, June 15, 2009, 05:02:05 PM

Let us pick an example from the help files so as not to be too IC rich.  Say i want to craft an item and I am not certain if i have the skill to craft it yet.  I have heard through "sources" (IC or OOC) what is needed to craft these items.  I will use the Durable Wicker shirt as an example.

I have the number of numut vines in my inventory and I type "Craft Numut" to find out what, if anything, i can craft from these vines.  Is this sufficient to fond out if I can craft the shirt, or must I list all items?  For instance, if I type "Craft Numut" will i get "You can craft a durable wicker shirt from that" or must I type "Craft numut numut numut numut numut" to get that response?

To ask another way, say i want to make a "gortok skull head dress" and I have the necessary gortok skull and length of sand cloth in my inventory.  Will simply typing "craft gortok" give me the echo "You can craft a gortok skull head dress from that" or will I need to type "craft gortok sandcloth" to get the echo?
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

You must list all the coded craftable materials necessary in the string when you use the "craft" command. There are obviously materials that aren't coded, such as silk thread, or blue paint, or the leather wrapping on the handle..

But if it's part of the coded recipe, then it must be included in the string.

So yeah - you really do have to "craft vine vine vine vine vine" to see if your skill is sufficient enough to turn a combination of 5 vines into anything.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

e.g Craft item1 item2 item3 item4
You can craft a gortok skull head dress from that.

Tested this last night.  Holy crap, this is going to make crafting FAR more difficult than I ever thought.  For fellow crafting noobs:  Analyze EVERYTHING!!! 
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

Or get a good teacher  :)
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Merchant houses are great for first time crafters, since you will almost always have at least one PC capable of teaching you.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Analyze helps with this as well though doesn't it? Rather then having raw materials and being like "what can I make of this?", you might take the approach of having something and being like "What do I need to make this?" using the Analyze command. That said, I'm a twink, I just kills shit, I don't craft. I don't really know how it works.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Analyze is great for that, yes...in theory.

The majority of the things IG are not craftable, so...half the time, you're sitting there trying to figure out some obscure recipe on your own, or you end up having your superior walk in and ask why the krath you're tossing the furniture around (I.E pick up table, analyze table, drop table.  Pick up chair, analyze chair, drop chair, etc.)
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I will take this opportunity to mention that if one were to email crafting recipes for a currently in-game item to me, provided that the crafting skill in question wasn't one of those that has many, many, many craftables (i.e. tailoring, jewelrymaking), I'd be glad to throw it onto my queue.

Awesome. Thank you so much, Wyx. Crafting is one of my favorite parts of Arm and it's always nice to see new things added to things you can craft.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.