"Rang your bell..."

Started by StrungOutOnSmack..., June 11, 2003, 02:13:33 AM

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but it kinda goes with materials and culture... Kinda...

Today I was in a situation where I went to say,"I rang your bell, huh?" Like, I busted your head.

But, I stopped, wondering if this would be said on Zalanthas. I've never seen a bell made of anything except metal. Are there bells? Are they made of hardened kank-shit that carries a nice sound to it?

Do I need to find out ICly?

If so, would the run of the mill commoner know what a bell was?

"It's been said that religion is an opiate for the masses. If god is an opiate, is Tek an acid trip gone horribly, horribly wrong? I like to think so."
DOA

Without going detail crazy, I will say that I've seen a non-metal based bell in a very public, and not particularly elaborate place.  

So yes, I would speculate that a commoner would have a full understanding of bells.

On one of the shops in the bazaar in Allanak there's mention of bone bells hanging outside. I only noticed that in the description yesterday and wasn't quite sure how bone bells would work - didn't sound like they would make a nice delicate tinkle. Bells could also be made from pottery though, like china bells. So yeah... I'd say that everybody knows what a bell is.
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

You can make bells out of ceramic or porcelain as well.  (My mom had a collection of decorative porcelain bells.)  I imagine they sound much more pleasing to the ear than bone bells.  :)
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

There's a big bell in the arena that rings whenever there's a match.

Yea, and um, a long time ago, I heard the sound of a bell ring with unpleasant consequences. So I'm assuming yes.

Gawynn
Ladies and gents, we're still alive
By the skin of our teeth, now it's killing time
Angel in our pocket, devil by our side
We ain't going nowhere, cuz' heroes never die!"

Blood of Heroes - Megadeth

Well I wouldnt be suprised if the arena bell is metal. I mean Tek has a golden tower Im sure he could spring for a little bronze, brass, iron, or something for a bell in his great Arena.

Yeah, they say that way back the templars and militia used to have metal weapons.  A long time ago.  Where did those weapons go?  Apparently crazy old Tek rounded them up and melted them down to make massive metal statues, bells and gilded towers.  Crazy bugger.  But I guess this keeps people from murdering militia just to get their  shiny swords.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins