Lifespan of pets and mounts?

Started by Wolfsong, May 30, 2009, 05:42:06 AM

I'm curious - what are the lifespans of mounts and certain pets? Take for instance a beetle, a lizard, an ox - how long do they typically live, ICly, even if OOCly they'll live forever (until ganked)?
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

They live until the VNPC stablehand replaces them with their cloned twin. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I've been reading All Creatures Great and Small in the evenings lately and it's crossed my mind more than once or twice to create a Zalanthan vet ...

That said, I have no idea. :)
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

I bet they live longer than most PCs.

4-5 IC years would be idea for most of the pets.  Mounts are probably 15.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

What about my pet Cactus?... I suppose there is such a thing as over-watering...

I hope sombody transplants him back to his home in the sands after I have passed on...
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

I know a certain horse that has been alive for decades.

I don't want to look up various pets because there are so many different kinds (What couldn't be a pet if some noble wanted one?)

Here the average life spans of some popular mounts:
War Beetles - 20 years
Oxen - 30 years
Sunback - 24 years
Inix - 48 years
Kank - 36 years (even though they are extinct I thought I'd add this as a reference)
Sunlon - 30 years
Erdlu  - 24 years
-- Person A OOCs: I totally forgot if everyone is okay with the adult-rated emotes and so forth?

-- Person B OOCs: Does this count as sex or torture? I can't tell.

-- Person A OOCs: I'm going to flip coins now to decide.

Quote from: mansa on May 30, 2009, 10:48:52 AM

4-5 IC years would be idea for most of the pets.  Mounts are probably 15.

depends on the mount. My grandfather use to own 40 year old pony. Though she was blind and mean as piss.
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

Quote from: Bast on January 14, 2010, 06:18:13 PM
Quote from: mansa on May 30, 2009, 10:48:52 AM

4-5 IC years would be idea for most of the pets.  Mounts are probably 15.

depends on the mount. My grandfather use to own 40 year old pony. Though she was blind and mean as piss.

I swear I didn't write that.

::edit::

wtf i'm logged in as Ourla?
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

*just stares*

horses and ponies live between 30-40 years. Depending on the use and labor.
Quotejmordetsky: so I reckon, before 1750, people were fuckin retarded

QuoteNamino:
I'm not going to spawn 100,000,000 eggs like a black marlin just because Mekillots are a thing 

We have better veterinary care though.  Might be something to consider.

I owned horses irl, I recently donated the last three to a Vet collage.

The ages:
Smokey-35 (blind in one eye)
Ghost-  32 
Dancer- 27 (going lame in the left front due to jumping -into- a fence and breaking the leg.)

With the exception of dancer, the only real medical care they got on a regular bases was shots. Which I gave myself.

If a horse or pony is fed regularly, and exercised correctly, they can live for a long long time.
Quotejmordetsky: so I reckon, before 1750, people were fuckin retarded

QuoteNamino:
I'm not going to spawn 100,000,000 eggs like a black marlin just because Mekillots are a thing 

Did you float their teeth?  Or didn't you consider that medical care? 

To be fair Satine, that might be in part because a nice shot of death is probably 90% of the care most horses are ever likely to see if any at all.

A Vet once said, "This horse is just looking for a reason to die, can you give it to them?"

It's a fantasy game people, sheesh.  There's sorceror-kings who are hundreds of years old.  A rose is not a rose is not a rose.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: Ourla on January 22, 2010, 12:58:23 AM
It's a fantasy game people, sheesh.  There's sorceror-kings who are hundreds of years old.  A rose is not a rose is not a rose.

Fight fight fight fight!!!!  ;D
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

does this mean armageddon horses arn't just looking for a reason to die and asking you to give it to them?

Quote from: UnderSeven on January 22, 2010, 02:25:59 PM

does this mean armageddon horses arn't just looking for a reason to die and asking you to give it to them?

If we follow the usual Armageddon motif, horses had an extra set of inner jaws like Giger's Alien, are carnivorous and send disturbing psychic images to people who are mean to their riders.

Also, they have a one in ten chance of being able to yodel in Tatlum.

Going back to the original topic, I think there are too many factors for us to start second-guessing age for any animal.  If the imms say it's <blah>, then it's basically <blah>.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.