>Sheathe (weapon) (mount)

Started by Reiloth, May 23, 2009, 04:43:41 AM

Just a wingy idea I had, and don't even know if it could work --

We can pack containers on mounts. I imagine in wartime, soldiers would pack a few weapons, especially since you cannot sheathe a weapon if you plan on using a bow in most cases.

Perhaps certain containers packed, like saddlebags, could provide a pair of sheathes on a mount?

Thoughts?
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

That sure would be handy. Equally handy: pull quiver working for quivers that are packed on your mount.

Win.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

Doesn't make much sense to me. Unless there's a heavy delay to drawing a weapon from a sheathed mount. Lol, but pulling an arrow from a quiver on a mount does make more sense than unsheathing the sword on your inix.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: SMuz on May 23, 2009, 10:31:00 AM
Doesn't make much sense to me. Unless there's a heavy delay to drawing a weapon from a sheathed mount. Lol, but pulling an arrow from a quiver on a mount does make more sense than unsheathing the sword on your inix.

And pulling an arrow from a quiver placed where you want it on a mount would be much easier than fumbling around behind your back or under you cloak and around your waist.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I would love this for so many ways. It gave me a wicked mental image concerning archers and inix. Pull quiver mount would rock sheath/draw weapon mount would almost be as cool but not nearly as sexeh.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Awesome idea and totally logical too. There are designed sheathes specifically made for horses. And hell, there are specific objects in the game that hint on the possibility of allowing this.

Only problem I can foresee is the coded problem, but shrug ... our Imms are awesome.

If we get this I'd really like "pack <item> into <item> on <mount>"

Lol, I've never heard of people sheathing weapons on their horses.

Quote from: a strange shadow on May 23, 2009, 01:21:13 PM
If we get this I'd really like "pack <item> into <item> on <mount>"
I'm all for that idea instead, though.
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

I don't know how Arm is coded exactly, but look at this.

list
#1 a war beetle 500 coins
#2 a well-equipped war beetle 800 coins

buy well-equipped
You give a blue-robed, hard-nosed templar many coins in exchange for a well-equipped war beetle.
You jump on a war beetle's back.

(wearloc <saddle $mount> added)

l beetle
It looks just like a war beetle.
<on back> A well-equipped saddle with a sheath

draw sword
You draw an obsidian longsword.

sheathe sword saddle
You sheathe an obsidian longsword in a war beetle's saddle sheath.

dismount
You dismount a war beetle.

(wearloc <saddle $mount> removed)

##################################

A lanky yellow gith dodges your slash.
A war beetle throws you from its back!

(wearloc <saddle $saddle> removed)

You know...something like that.

Quote from: Solifugid on May 23, 2009, 09:38:02 AM
That sure would be handy. Equally handy: pull quiver working for quivers that are packed on your mount.

WEll if you could just pack the quiver and pull quiver from mount then you can pull spear quiver.mount or what have you including bows as there are quivers that will hold various weapons.

that said somewhere i proposed that they let you pack a shield on you mount, logically IRL this could be done.

The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

I'm in favor of this idea as well.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

You can:

-Pack a shield to a mount
-Pack two weapons to a mount
-Pack a quiver to a mount

Make it:

Impossible to draw anything from a mount while unmounted.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I would rather make it impossible to draw anything from a mount you're not hitched to.

Drawing something from a mount you're not mounted on seems pretty easy to me, you just reach over and pull it free.

Quote from: musashi on May 24, 2009, 07:28:39 AM
I would rather make it impossible to draw anything from a mount you're not hitched to.

Drawing something from a mount you're not mounted on seems pretty easy to me, you just reach over and pull it free.

Sure.

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Thunkkin on May 23, 2009, 02:04:17 PM
Quote from: SMuz on May 23, 2009, 02:00:19 PM

I wouldn't say it's entirely unknown ...

http://www.history.army.mil/images/museum/showcase/myer/OG-6.jpg
http://archive.liveauctioneers.com/archive4/highnoonauction/18065/0114_1_lg.jpg
http://www.kaisersbunker.com/cef/equipment/cefe25.jpg

Ahh.. I was imagining it like someone putting a sword atop an elephant (inix) then unsheathing it from the ground, which seems a bit ridiculous :P

I'm fine with it then, but just as long as it comes with a massive delay to do it if unmounted. A bit less with the quiver. It's not simply pulling it free, it's pulling it free at the right angle. And size differences.

Quote from: SMuz on May 24, 2009, 10:49:14 AM
Quote from: Thunkkin on May 23, 2009, 02:04:17 PM
Quote from: SMuz on May 23, 2009, 02:00:19 PM

I wouldn't say it's entirely unknown ...

http://www.history.army.mil/images/museum/showcase/myer/OG-6.jpg
http://archive.liveauctioneers.com/archive4/highnoonauction/18065/0114_1_lg.jpg
http://www.kaisersbunker.com/cef/equipment/cefe25.jpg

Ahh.. I was imagining it like someone putting a sword atop an elephant (inix) then unsheathing it from the ground, which seems a bit ridiculous :P

I'm fine with it then, but just as long as it comes with a massive delay to do it if unmounted. A bit less with the quiver. It's not simply pulling it free, it's pulling it free at the right angle. And size differences.

I personally think you shouldn't be able to unsheathe it unless you are mounted.

I don't see how you could unsheathe a sword from a saddle on the back of an inix, or even a war-beetle. A horse -- Even that'd be difficult, considering the angle.

~Jack Vance~

If it has a clasp that prevents it from falling out, and it is angled sideways say on a horse, I don't see how that'd be anything but convenient for an unmounted person.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

The delay could be longer for unsheathing a weapon on a beast that you are not mounted on.  That would seem to be most realistic to me.

Dunno. Just from looking at the pictures Thunnkin posted, I can imagine something like an inix...Which is supposed to be a dinosaur in a sense, right?..I can imagine it being difficult to get to the saddle, where the weapons are located.

And I don't think the weapon would be clasped sideways. The hilt of the weapon would be angled vertically, not perpendicular to the ground, but definitely in an upwards direction.

~Jack Vance~

Solution:

command emote + draw weapon from mount + require mount to be hitched (but not mounted) + increased delay when not mounted = less spam.

I will always be in favor of including all possibilities (erdlu aren't as big as an inix, and a half-giant could easily pull a hammer from a beetle's saddle) and allowing the player to describe how they're performing an action, rather than hard-lined code limitations.

Quote from: a strange shadow on May 24, 2009, 04:54:25 PM
Solution:

command emote + draw weapon from mount + require mount to be hitched (but not mounted) + increased delay when not mounted = less spam.

I will always be in favor of including all possibilities (erdlu aren't as big as an inix, and a half-giant could easily pull a hammer from a beetle's saddle) and allowing the player to describe how they're performing an action, rather than hard-lined code limitations.

I like it.

Quote from: a strange shadow on May 24, 2009, 04:54:25 PM
Solution:

Yep.

~Jack Vance~