Was the way fiddled with?

Started by Travel Cake, June 07, 2003, 11:54:41 PM

Something I realized about the revision of the way. It seems that when you try and contact someone not logged on, it takes less stun away than if you fail contacting someone who is NOT logged on.

So there is STILL an OOC issue that needs to be fixed, if I'm not being delusional that is. :twisted:

QuoteIt seems that when you try and contact someone not logged on, it takes less stun away than if you fail contacting someone who is NOT logged on.

Are your modifiers in that sentence exactly where you want them to be? What's the difference between not logged on and NOT logged on, aside from the capskey?

Holy shit way to make me feel stupid(obviously not that hard to do)

What I MEANT to say was that it seems that when a person IS LOGGED ON, it takes alot of stun away when you fail to contact them...Though, when they are NOT LOGGED ON, it seems to take LESS stun away when you fail to contact them...

I hope that sounds a little better...

Damn what a friggin schmuck I am... :evil:

I personally think the changes are a fine idea.  The Way, I imagine, was orginally put in as a crutch to get around the fact that there are no global channels.  Remember, Armageddon was not always the RP MUD it is today.  Now we have moved on.  The slightly hokey notion that everyone is a skilled telepath isn't so badly needed.  Now the way is far more unreliable and unstable.  If you see someone sitting across the room, you know that if you try hard enough you will get them.  If you don't see them or know where they are, you might go for IC days or weeks before you get a contact.

It is easily explained away in RP.  Waying to someone you can see is a skill most people have.  Once you start making the distance farther or don't know where the person is exactly, it becomes far more unreliable.  So, you need to contact lord Templar Inbreed.  If you saw him walking down the street a few hours ago, you can probably stand a fair chance of snagging his mind.  If you are just chilling in the Gaj and Lord Templar Inbreed could be anywhere (or OOCly logged off) it is a game of hit or miss.  The way works in mysterious ways.  Some days you might get someone on the first hit, other times it might take a month of trying before you snag them.  The way is a tool.  Reliable across a room, but if you try and make it work farther then that your luck could be anything.

As someone who has been a fugitive, it is a welcomed change.  Life is a lot harder when your potential hunter can always keep tabs on you just by trying to contact you ever now and then.  I see the potential pain this might cause, but I also see how this could now make the role of a currier far more useful.  If the way is not exactly reliable, and you can't tell if you are just failing or a person is offline, it suddenly becomes worthwhile to send your message by foot so that they can hunt around for that person and see when they log in.

Heh, actually the way is an obvious holdover from Dark Sun, where everything still left alive has some type of psionic power.  PCs in a Dark Sun game all rolled for a wild talent.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: "Rindan"Now we have moved on. The slightly hokey notion that everyone is a skilled telepath isn't so badly needed. Now the way is far more unreliable and unstable. If you see someone sitting across the room, you know that if you try hard enough you will get them. If you don't see them or know where they are, you might go for IC days or weeks before you get a contact.

There is at least one problem here. The reliance on a written language for the masses was passed off as the ability to use psionics to send messages and such. If you always have troubles finding them, it'd put ALOT more stress and most likely more of a chance written communication would evolve. Also, now... How in the hell does every Militia man in town know that there is a thief and what he looks like if the way is so hard? Shrug, somethings don't fit with the way being more difficult if you "don't know where they are."

Also... If they are logged out... Who says you don't know where they are... Virtually they could very well be sitting right with you or at the other end of the bar. Just because the player is gone doesn't mean the character is. Being offline is a problem. Although, there can be some twinkiness over it... Something still needs to be tweaked. Not neccessarily saying, well he's offline, but at least giving you an idea that you failed to contact him because of skill or you failed to contact him because he's unreachable. That alone would be fine, and completely reasonable. And don't give me this honky bullshit that people hunting you used the way to know if you are logged on or not. That DOESN'T tell them where you are. Also that doesn't mean they ONLY searched for you when you were online. That Doesn't mean they weren't keeping an eye out for you and asking around. If they know that you are online.. That only tells them that they might be able to expect finding you on an OOC level, ICally it doesn't mean SHIT because they could contact you rather you were offline or not because your PC is still in the world. Personally I find it's much more likely for people to use the way to look like they are offline and to effect other peoples RPs that way instead, and it's the same thing over all. Opp... They think I'm offline, they'll NEVER expect me to kill them now.

And if you look at my suggestion, it would just give alittle more IC information to be able to RP off of. Instead of making the Way a completely fickle thing  that isn't even worth the trouble more often then not. Which if it is the case... It wouldn't have been relied upon... And the history would have been changed and the world would be different.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

The Way has been a lot easier for me, actually, if the person is available and online. Maybe your character just really sucks at it.

Exactly the same for me, as was previously noted, the way is easier to use now and, therefore, you can contact those present easier. I see no problems with it.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

I'm with Dirr and Delerium...I've found the way to be much easier to use as of late.  I'm also with whoever said a while back (I'm not going to search the entire thread to find who, so I'm sorry) that this will force people to find other ways to find people.  Granted, I still use the Way a lot to find people, but I've actually met more people in a shorter amount of time and had some interesting RP because of the fact that my character wasn't being a hermit that only hung out with friends.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.