Random Tiny CODE Wants

Started by daedroug, April 21, 2009, 11:25:21 PM

Quote from: SMuz on April 13, 2011, 02:11:45 AM
Quote from: Saellyn on April 12, 2011, 11:34:05 PM
Throwing maneuvers. The ability to grab a guy, and throw him in a direction without subdue (with an upped fail check of course)

I'd like this too. You can't throw someone off a cliff with an emote :P

I'd also like to be able to slam them down and do other wrestling maneuvers for extra stun damage, and higher chance of fail or self injury.
Honestly, this can all be handled through the use of emotes and the subdue command.

When you attempt to subdue someone, you drop everything you have equipped in your hands - Before you even attempt to subdue the target. This, for one, leaves you unarmed - Should you fail to properly capture them. Then they'll go to town on your ass. If you do successfully subdue them, you have the ability to attack them while holding them (unarmed attacks, of course) which, when they connect, have a high potential and punching a fucker out cold.

Same with throwing someone off a cliff. If I codedly subdued you, emoted dragging you to a cliff's edge, and typed 'throw man west' (while he was subdued) - I would promptly push your silly ass over the edge.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on April 13, 2011, 02:15:55 AM
Quote from: SMuz on April 13, 2011, 02:11:45 AM
Quote from: Saellyn on April 12, 2011, 11:34:05 PM
Throwing maneuvers. The ability to grab a guy, and throw him in a direction without subdue (with an upped fail check of course)

I'd like this too. You can't throw someone off a cliff with an emote :P

I'd also like to be able to slam them down and do other wrestling maneuvers for extra stun damage, and higher chance of fail or self injury.
Honestly, this can all be handled through the use of emotes and the subdue command.

When you attempt to subdue someone, you drop everything you have equipped in your hands - Before you even attempt to subdue the target. This, for one, leaves you unarmed - Should you fail to properly capture them. Then they'll go to town on your ass. If you do successfully subdue them, you have the ability to attack them while holding them (unarmed attacks, of course) which, when they connect, have a high potential and punching a fucker out cold.

Same with throwing someone off a cliff. If I codedly subdued you, emoted dragging you to a cliff's edge, and typed 'throw man west' (while he was subdued) - I would promptly push your silly ass over the edge.

Okay, let me put it this way.

I want an ability that shoves a person, or throws them, without actively putting them in a headlock. Because that's what subdue is. There, happy?

Quote from: Saellyn on April 13, 2011, 02:25:13 AM

I want an ability that shoves a person, or throws them, without actively putting them in a headlock. Because that's what subdue is. There, happy?
Well, both of those things can be handled in code. Just because you 'subdue' someone doesn't necessarily have to mean you put them into a head lock. This is called a Roleplaying game, afterall. Just because you subdue someone doesn't mean you have to put them into a headlock. It can simply mean you grabbed their wrist and twisted it - or you grappled with them and you have a brief moment in the fight where you have control over their motions.

What would be the benefit to making a new code to shove people? Would you be able to move them into another room? If so, that would be a highly abuse able skill since I could literally walk into the same room with you and, if my skill's high enough, '>shove man west' and push you off a cliff. At least with subdue, you have a chance to flee (there is a lag for the subduer).

Like... I just don't understand what you would use it for. Could you maybe give an example; so I might better understand?
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on April 13, 2011, 02:15:55 AM

Ha, awesome. I didn't know that throw works on people too.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: Saellyn on April 13, 2011, 02:25:13 AM

I think that for playability reasons it's probably best that this isn't possible. Getting thrown off a cliff by some jerk with killer subdue is already a pain in the neck as it is.

I reserve the right to want a skill I can abuse, regardless of whether I would abuse it.

Yeah, others WILL abuse it, though.  We can already do what you want with a skill we already have.  I'm against adding another way to toss people off cliffs.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

Making glow crystals a throwable object that you can toss in other rooms or better yet, other cavesss

Let's split the difference and invert it. How about releasing somebody from a subdue in a direction without an exit results in 'throwing them against the wall', for minor amounts of damage and stun.

We could recreate the WWE, slamming people into the ground, the walls, everywhere.

/joking

This thread is for random tiny code wants.

The majority of this thread is not random.  Derails happen even after warnings.
Only about half of the items in this thread are truly tiny.  More often than not, it's a tiny concept that requires a lot of coding for little benefit.
Sometimes, things in this thread aren't even about code.

We've moderated this thread many a time with hopes that it could follow procedure so that coders and pseudo-coders/builders could peep in and maybe snag something that is both easy to change and would have greater benefit.

If you have a tiny (one-liner) code want, you can use the idea command.  If you have a larger code want (or a lengthier tiny one), you can create a thread in the code forum and discuss it without fear of worrying about derailing.  If you have a want that is not code related, you can use one of the other forum headings.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.