1000th time... Haggle for a Gem

Started by Gaare, March 19, 2009, 10:51:02 PM

I hope some of you 'naki templars are killing gemmed magickers just for fun. :P Seriously.. or not very seriously..  Even shopkeepers get angry while haggling for a bone sword after all. Templar may get angry for some nobody haggling for a black gem. Heh.. weirdos on street is not good for public health and security hmm?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

/?/
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

March 19, 2009, 10:58:36 PM #2 Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 11:01:40 PM by Rhyden
Hey Gaare! ;D

Yeah I agree the 'angry' echoes NPC merchants give off aren't totally realistic when dealing with a haggling Templar. Though it can be amusing if said Templar isn't against ganking NPC merchants to pass the time.

edit: I'm not sure if that's what you were talking about but my point still stands, and is somewhat relevant.

If you don't find the haggles realistic, then emote for the poor npc so that his reactions DO make sense. I think it's unlikely that class-specific haggle responses are going to be imped, but trusty emote  remains your friend.
Mansa to Me: "You are a cancer to ArmageddonMUD."

omg its gaare. i love him. he is foriegn, i love that
your mother is an elf.

March 20, 2009, 02:27:53 AM #5 Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 02:37:54 AM by Gaare
Quote from: Moofassa on March 20, 2009, 01:29:14 AM
omg its gaare. i love him. he is foriegn, i love that

Aha! Moofassa.. He is foreign too! Or simply Canadian! (If not mistaken, He was playing rugby. Anyone plays rugby must be foreign)

By the way, about the post...

Seriously I dont think getting a dull black gem is a 'right' for a player. I am wood elementalist and I can carry a gem doesnt make sense to me. Surely, templars should decide who to give a good, classy jewelery and who to give a classy half-giant chop because of being an elementalist.

It must be 1000 x 1000th post about number of magickers. I want to play a 'naki character who really cant stand them, and stay close even in a tavern! 3 gemmers and my lonely poor boy in Gaj! Whatever.. As I said there are great posts about this subject and mine is 10000000000 x mansath post. (It is still cool to be able to use 'mansa' in every post right?)
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

Maybe the Gemmed should be a clan, like the Gypsies, where only a certain amount of PCs are required.

Then all the other magickers could go rough it out in the desert.

Of course, there would be many disadvantages to this idea of mine.  :-\

NEED MOAR GIKERS!!!!!!!
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I've run into a gicker lately that really made the game come alive to me. Really enforced prejudices and kept things alive. But because of the nature of such a character I'm sure it'll be dead real soon.

In any case, I don't think there are too many. Just play regarding the vNPC crowd around you. Play realistically. Everything should be fine.

Not even a week after the other 'gicker thread was locked another one pops up...

/headache

I see that only as a clear indication of how a significant portion of the playerbase feels about the topic.

Quote from: Gaare on March 20, 2009, 02:27:53 AM
I want to play a 'naki character who really cant stand them, and stay close even in a tavern! 3 gemmers and my lonely poor boy in Gaj!

Maybe if gemmers could get jobs they wouldn't hang out in the taverns all day. 
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: Angela Christine on March 20, 2009, 04:46:42 AM
I want to play a 'naki character who really cant stand them, and stay close even in a tavern! 3 gemmers and my lonely poor boy in Gaj!

Maybe if gemmers could get jobs had to do honest work to become filthy rich they wouldn't hang out in the taverns all day. 
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

QuoteMaybe if gemmers could get jobs they wouldn't hang out in the taverns all day. 

Maybe if there weren't so many for the very limited amount of jobs for them, a higher percentage would have jobs.

Seriously, this is why I said the tradeoff for the power has always been the social challenges.

That said, I don't particularly mind them being in the bar.  It's when four of them sit at the bar and start talking about new spells and all the temple politics that I start to think, 'Hey, wouldn't this be frowned on?'
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

March 20, 2009, 06:54:49 AM #14 Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 06:57:59 AM by RogueGunslinger
Maybe people should just roleplay appropriately, and stop straying away from the documentation no matter how many goddamn magickers there are. Just play the game. Bitching about the amount of people playing a certain guild is pointless, and often counterproductive(just ask Malken).

I would be surprised if virtual templars don't kill off quite a few elementalists for various reasons before or when they're about to get gemmed. However, I don't see how it would be good for playability if there was a 50% risk of having your freshly created to-be-gemmed PC dying on approaching a PC/NPC templar. Most likely it would not lead to fewer magickers. Only fewer gemmed.

Sure, if you really piss the templar off... but that goes for any type of character and almost every situation.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 20, 2009, 06:54:49 AM
Maybe people should just roleplay appropriately, and stop straying away from the documentation no matter how many goddamn magickers there are. Just play the game. Bitching about the amount of people playing a certain guild is pointless, and often counterproductive(just ask Malken).

Roleplaying appropriately would involve the VNPC customers clearing out, or getting nervous, and the bartender being active and telling the gemmers to stop scaring off the paying customers. Unfortunately, there isn't an IMM available 24/7 to monitor that specific bar. Complaining to a templar every time there's 3 gemmers in the bar talking about magicks would either get the complainer killed for being a pest, or poor by having to pay so many bribes. If the bartender doesn't care enough to kick the gemmers out of HIS bar, then the RP really kind of stops right there.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

This stuff really shouldn't be hashed out on the forums. That's why all the threads get locked.

It's best to send emails to the imms and deal with it through in game means.

March 20, 2009, 08:30:13 AM #18 Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 08:31:55 AM by SMuz
I think the Gaj has gotten used to gemmers talking about magick stuff :P

It would be funny (in a cruel way) for a guy who spent a month daydreaming about a special-apped 'gicker getting killed by a templar because he didn't seem worth the gem.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

It must be 1000 x 1000th post about number of magickers.
As I said there are great posts about this subject and mine is 10000000000 x mansath post.

You're correct.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: palomar on March 20, 2009, 07:43:23 AM
I would be surprised if virtual templars don't kill off quite a few elementalists for various reasons before or when they're about to get gemmed.

I think the templarate wants 'gickers to come find them and get gems, not to sneak around hiding their powers for fear of getting killed.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on March 20, 2009, 09:48:53 AM
Quote from: palomar on March 20, 2009, 07:43:23 AM
I would be surprised if virtual templars don't kill off quite a few elementalists for various reasons before or when they're about to get gemmed.

I think the templarate wants 'gickers to come find them and get gems, not to sneak around hiding their powers for fear of getting killed.

Yes, I agree. I'm just saying that I think it happens but not for the reason "we have too many gemmed", but rather for personal reasons on a case by case basis.

Maybe if the magickers started killing off all the mouthy PCs instead of being forebearing, all of you who can't stand to share the game with them could begin new characters in Tuluk.
Lunch makes me happy.

Yay, yet another "I hate magickers" thread... and I'm pretty sure that for ANY reason, the Templars aren't just willy-nilly killing magickers/gemmers.  That sort of thing gets out and then people start realizing, "Hey... if I go there, I've a good chance of just getting insta-ganked just for NOT breaking the law?  F that!"  You'd see a lot less gemmed and a lot more rogues killing people and causing problems.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I sure wish the 'IC' attitude towards Gemmed was changed. I can't say this enough - I just don't like the way we have to balance OOC against IC. Either gives us real coded reasons to hate and fear the Gemmed, or cancel that foolishness and say that Nakkies are Nakkies and the rest of the world is the rest of the world.

But that's just my normal rant.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870