...the blow is deftly deflected by the armor...

Started by hyzhenhok, March 19, 2009, 06:26:07 PM

Anyone else think that "deftly" is probably the wrong adverb to be using here? Deft armor?

Also, it's passive voice. Ew.

Edit: Realized I could have posted this in "Random Armageddon Thoughts," but alas there is no delete option.

It's been like that for so long that it doesn't bother me.

Some of those echoes are really weird. You might be wielding a spear and see "you viciously leap towards the man, but your blow is deflected by his tough chitin codpiece" and such nonsense. It's been that way forever, though, as mentioned, and most of us don't even pay attention to it anymore, nor do we expect it to change before 2.0.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on March 19, 2009, 06:26:07 PM
Anyone else think that "deftly" is probably the wrong adverb to be using here? Deft armor?

Edit: Realized I could have posted this in "Random Armageddon Thoughts," but alas there is no delete option.

I'm pretty sure it's referencing a deft blow, not deft armor.   :P

Quote from: Miriam Webster
: characterized by facility and skill
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: Ourla on March 19, 2009, 06:55:02 PM
Quote from: hyzhenhok on March 19, 2009, 06:26:07 PM

I'm pretty sure it's referencing a deft blow, not deft armor.   :P

Quote from: Miriam Webster
: characterized by facility and skill

The actual (about twenty minutes ago) echo:

QuoteThe (tall, muscular) man lunges at you, but his blow is deftly deflected by a (common piece of armor).

Just a poorly written sentence, IMO. Most of the other echoes are fine.

Ah, I see what you mean.  It's been awhile since I had a combat PC.  That is kinda wonky.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Meh, I just assumed it meant the Pc's deft use of said piece of armor.
your mother is an elf.

Quote from: Moofassa on March 19, 2009, 07:10:47 PM
Meh, I just assumed it meant the Pc's deft use of said piece of armor.

That's obviously the meaning, but that doesn't excuse the fact that it's poorly written.

Suggested replacement:
(PC1) lunges at (PC2), but (PC2) deftly deflects the blow with (piece of armor).

Fixes the wonky adverb use, and makes it active tense. Yay!

Would anyone ever actually deftly deflect something with their armor? I'm just having a hard time picturing someone intercepting a sword stroke with their helmet while thinking it's a good idea. Hehe.

I used to think the same thing about soccer.
Quote from: Barzalene
Besides if a Jihaen walks in on you, he walked in on you. He can't be too upset if he sees your peepee. He might have a legitimate gripe though if the manner in which you use it isn't subtle.

Quote from: Good Gortok on March 19, 2009, 07:34:35 PM
Would anyone ever actually deftly deflect something with their armor? I'm just having a hard time picturing someone intercepting a sword stroke with their helmet while thinking it's a good idea. Hehe.

The second option is just to remove "deftly" from the echo. Yeah.

March 19, 2009, 07:53:58 PM #11 Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 07:55:53 PM by SMuz
Quote from: hyzhenhok on March 19, 2009, 07:45:15 PM

The second option is just to remove "deftly" from the echo. Yeah.
I'd actually like that. Can't think of a reason to say no to that :P

I think it's one of things that was written up by the imms at 2 AM after writing a whole bunch of other stuff and they just typed deftly because it sounded cool at the time.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

The one I hate is:

"Soandso viciously leaps toward you..."

Every time "viciously" pops up, my reptilian brain goes into panic mode before my conscious self gets a grip.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on March 19, 2009, 09:01:20 PM
The one I hate is:

Every time "viciously" pops up, my reptilian brain goes into panic mode before my conscious self gets a grip.
Lol, my first app was an elf warrior. He was like viciously leaping at thugs and I thought it was so cool that my first guy could viciously strike the enemy. Then I got killed in 3 hits and went all WTF?
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I love deftly. I use it all the time in my ooc emote.

~deftly tackles you~

~deftly glares at you~

~deftly disarms you~

Good times man. It's like the social of Arm. :-D
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Actually, yes.  using the back of arm armor would be a useful application (backside refering to the outside part verses the inside part).  not to mention, grabbing a sword with gloves is MUCH better than using ones bare hands. ;)
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

Quote from: SMuz on March 19, 2009, 09:04:35 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on March 19, 2009, 09:01:20 PM
The one I hate is:

Lol, my first app was an elf warrior. He was like viciously leaping at thugs and I thought it was so cool that my first guy could viciously strike the enemy. Then I got killed in 3 hits and went all WTF?

Yeah, I think the person who wrote the dodge and armor deflection echoes (God bless them!) was suffering from the adverb bug. Dear lord, adverbs everywhere! If it were up to me, I'd slice out every -ly word from all of the echoes. I'm singling out "deftly" because it doesn't make sense for an inert object to be "deft."

But the "You viciously leap at the old, helpless man, but a torn bandana gets in the way" will always have a place in my heart.

The worst is always 'The (tall, muscular) man lunges at you, but his blow is deftly deflected by a (delicate silk vest).
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Your attack bounces off (man)'s thick skin.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

Quote from: Jdr on March 23, 2009, 02:13:03 PM
Your attack bounces off (man)'s thick skin.

Too bad that doesn't happen on the GDB.

Heh, the best I've seen was when a gemmer had the gem deftly deflect a blow.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on March 23, 2009, 02:39:31 PM
Heh, the best I've seen was when a gemmer had the gem deftly deflect a blow.

Kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it?

I've seen the echo "Your kick(possibly blow) is absorbed by (mans) thick skull" Or something like that. Made me laugh outright, but I suppose it could have been the player emoting. Though I think it was an NPC.

The obsidian-bearded man deftly deflects your blow with his beard.

I deftly deflect women with my 14-pack of abs on a daily basis.
your mother is an elf.

Quote from: Good Gortok on March 19, 2009, 06:29:50 PM
You might be wielding a spear and see "you viciously leap towards the man, but your blow is deflected by his tough chitin codpiece" and such nonsense.

Secret: Balls of steel.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

A tough chitin codpiece could certainly deflect a blow.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 25, 2009, 03:15:02 PM
A tough chitin codpiece could certainly deflect a "blow".
I see what you did there.

:D

Edited to add:
Wait... Maybe my own perverted imagination made me see that. Here - Let me fix it.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I've actually seen this kind of stuff....more from slashing than piercing weapons though....it has to do with the angles and all.
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

Quote from: hyzhenhok on March 24, 2009, 03:52:36 PM
Quote from: SMuz on March 24, 2009, 04:43:48 AM
Chuck Norris deftly deflects parries your blow with the fist behind his beard.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on March 25, 2009, 07:59:57 PM

Edited to add:
Wait... Maybe my own perverted imagination made me see that. Here - Let me fix it.
Oh, damn, now you made me see it. I can't emote dodging a blow from a female now without laughing out loud OOCly.

:keeps ~shield over his groin, deflecting the female's blow thrust swing.

Quote from: SMuz on March 27, 2009, 12:28:34 PM
Quote from: Gunnerblaster on March 25, 2009, 07:59:57 PM

Edited to add:
Oh, damn, now you made me see it. I can't emote dodging a blow from a female now without laughing out loud OOCly.

:keeps ~shield over his groin, deflecting the female's blow thrust swing.

Fail.