Reclining/Resting/Laying on Furniture

Started by , June 03, 2003, 03:46:02 PM

Do some furniture items actually allow you to rest on them? So far Ive seen most are just for sitting, and when you try to rest, or 'recline' as it implies your doing it makes you stand first then just rest on the floor. So I was wondering if there is furniture out there that allows this, and if I come across something that might be nice to recline on, like a stuffed chair/couch, or a bed, or something should I idea it? Or is it code-wise impossible.

You might ask Morgenes about this. At the time the furniture code went in, he indicated this was on his list of plans for it.

I vaguely remember this being in some years ago, and removed due to some sort of bug.

Realistically, how hard is it to change ldesc is draped across the cushioned couch? ..or are you pining that much for the auxiliary +regen boost from reclining?

Would be fun, I imagine, if you could take up more than one seat, but other than that, I don't personally see a reason to escalate this on the to-do list.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

I just ignore the standing thing and type rest with the proper arguments to make it appear that I've sprawled out on whichever piece of furniture I was sitting on.  And of course there is the whole changing the ldesc thing to further that impression...
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

No no no, dont you people realize! We dont need this to be changed.

Th real problem here is you picked the wrong sub-guild. I wont let out anything too IC but you dont have the skill "siting in comfort". One of the subguilds branches this (around day 20) to let you rest and sleep. You see on Zal there are no free lunches and frankly, you char sucks so bad at laying back that they fall of the couch everytime. Thats all!! You just need to get that skill up and your doing fine :!:
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Furniture resting used to be in, but then people would 'rest' and whatnot on barstools and other unrealistic types of furniture. I'd love to see it put back in though for comfy stuff, couches and the like.

Oh, I also believe they took it out because of an ldesc duplicating bug, and a "someone" duplicating bug.

Yeah it's kinda - really - majorly annoying when I'm trying to rest...but only want to give the impression I'm relaxed.. like leaning back on the couch with my feet up on a nearby stool, or sitting on a cot with my back against the wall...
And someone is *sitting* on that piece of furniture and "talks" to me - and of course I can't hear a damned thing he's saying because I'm only "virtually" on that furniture.

So I can sit on the couch, and not be able to way my boss/partner/whatever and alert them to whatever's going on for an extra amount of time because it just takes too damned long if I'm just plain sitting..

Or I can not hear what whoever is talking to me is saying - potentially missing out on whatever it is I'm trying to inform my boss/partner/whatever about.

When time is of the essence, and secrecy is important, and I don't want that person knowing I'm using the way (and yeah it actually does happen often enough for it to be an issue), then being capable of relaxing on furniture designed to relax on, is annoying.

in ROM its possible to add certain positon-flags to furniture like rest_on sleep_on etc. I think this might be nice to add to couches and beds and stuff. And the reason I cant do 'change ldesc' is because it kinda ruins the effect if your in a crowded room and want to recline on a couch or lay down on a bed or something and cant use Talk.

Well anyways, thanks for the feedback.

I've suggested this many times before.  I think it would be great to be able to sleep on an actual bed.  I don't know why, but it makes a difference to me.  It's up to the coder's to decide how important of an addition this is, there's already a lot to deal with.
Vendyra

A makeshift solution:
Sit couch
change ldesc lounges on a large couch with his feet propped up.

Perhaps if resting on furniture could be restricted to seats large enough? (couches, beds)

Personally I would also love to see a "stand 'table'"

Explain?
The bar is full of its seats or a couch or a table, instead of sitting at it if one can 'stand bar' one could listen in, participate in conversations and or spy.  

It would have a room echo that showed "So and so stands near (table/bar/couch)" and when one looked at the table one would see "So and so is standing near it", instead of the usual so and so is sitting at it on a chair.  A default room desc would show the same as if the PC were sitting but would mention standing instead.

Thoughts?

ShaL
-who sets ldesc 90% of the time
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: "ShaLeah"Perhaps if resting on furniture could be restricted to seats large enough? (couches, beds)

Personally I would also love to see a "stand 'table'"

Explain?
The bar is full of its seats or a couch or a table, instead of sitting at it if one can 'stand bar' one could listen in, participate in conversations and or spy.  

It would have a room echo that showed "So and so stands near (table/bar/couch)" and when one looked at the table one would see "So and so is standing near it", instead of the usual so and so is sitting at it on a chair.  A default room desc would show the same as if the PC were sitting but would mention standing instead.

Thoughts?

ShaL
-who sets ldesc 90% of the time

good idea.
*clap*

I think the original post isnt a bad idea, but quite a minor one, fixed by either using the ldesc code (or is just wanted for the boost of 'rest', which could also be used with ldesc, jsut rest, then write in your sitting somewhere special with the ldesc)
Veteran Newbie

I agree with ShaLeah.  I've always felt it tough for players of half-giants, who had no other way to keep up on conversations aside from using the listening skill.  Most of the time they sit near the bar, why should they be near-deaf?

Quote from: "Sandstorm"I agree with ShaLeah.  I've always felt it tough for players of half-giants, who had no other way to keep up on conversations aside from using the listening skill.  Most of the time they sit near the bar, why should they be near-deaf?

Yeah, it could also be a boon to PC guards, slaves and other servants.  Much of the time it wouldn't make sense for your guard to sit at the table with you, especially if you are a fancy noble.  So your choices are to leave the poor sap standing on guard in the tavern (and hope he has listen so he isn't too bored) dismiss him (at which point he has to go amuse himself -- why be employed if you are always getting dismissed?) let him go sit at the bar to "guard" you (which looks odd) or let him sit at the table but set his ldesc to indicate he is actually standing or kneeling near the table (which could work, but would still feel weird).

I like it.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins