Magicker population?

Started by 5 day lifespan, March 11, 2009, 12:05:20 PM

This thread is now officially declared useless.

Well, boys and girls, looks like we've solved the 'gikers problem once again!

Good job y'all, see you back in two months, huh?
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on March 15, 2009, 12:52:05 AM
This thread is now officially declared useless.

Well, boys and girls, looks like we've solved the 'gikers problem once again!

Good job y'all, see you back in two months, huh?

I'm still sitting in row 5, seat H.

See you all then.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Bah, screw this thread.

I had a good response typed up, but frankly, I'm fucking wasted right now. It was probably much more obnoxious and pointless than this response I'm typing now.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

I only really minded the silk-wearing, snobbish, always in your face, giant yellow-tarantula riding through allanak power rangers of about 8 months ago or so, maybe a bit longer.

That was a bad time in Allanak for me, really killed the idea mages are disliked in any way shape or form. They were really more like upper class commoners X-Men.
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

[sidebar]
Quote from: BuNutzCola on March 15, 2009, 02:54:52 AM
silk-wearing...X-Men.

"Would you prefer yellow spandex?"
[/sidebar]
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Morrolan on March 15, 2009, 03:14:57 AM
[sidebar]
Quote from: BuNutzCola on March 15, 2009, 02:54:52 AM
silk-wearing...X-Men.

"Would you prefer yellow spandex?"
[/sidebar]

With blue trim and adamanteum (sp?) retractable claws?

This is Zalanthas. They would have post-metalstripping BONE claws.
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

March 15, 2009, 09:37:52 AM #132 Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 10:41:15 AM by Agent_137
malken,
it seems you are the one repeatedly posting about how one time a gemmer had a friend of yours PKed for talking shit. one time. posting repeatedly about it does not make it more relevant.

everyone else:
Directly insulting -anyone- to the point of revenge always carries its own risk. (If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.-Machiavelli)

magickers are not breeds (most anyway.) Magickers are typically employed by Oash or directly by a templar. If you REALLY hate that salarri sergeat, you would go about hating him differetly than you would a simple breed that took your stool, right? Same with gickers.

I'm not asking you to get creative, but chirst, yes, you will have to do better than just throwing direct insults directly at their face just because they wear a gem. Consider your social status, their race, your race, their employer, their age, their clothes, etc. Maybe they need a glare, and a move to another table instead of spitting on them. Maybe you should just spit on the floor -by- them, instead of kicking their chair.These are all normal calculations ANY zalanthan would do before insulting -anyone-. Unless, of course, your character is drunk. Then have at it!

p.s.

QuoteI only really minded the silk-wearing, snobbish, always in your face, giant yellow-tarantula riding through allanak power rangers of about 8 months ago or so, maybe a bit longer.

I was there for those days, I hated them, and I've did work to keep them from returning ICly and OOCly. 'gickers should honestly never wear silks, and even more never wear them to the gaj. period. Nobles and Templars, if you meet gickers like this and you are in a position to do so, please have them PK'd. (btw, thank you Red Templar for doing exactly that to the Old, Powerful, Silk-Wearing, Magick-Talking Elkrosian who 'had it coming' for so fucking long. You did more to end the x-men days than anyone.)

This thread is so derailed.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: SMuz on March 15, 2009, 09:47:21 AM
This thread is so derailed.

Welcome to the GDB.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

*raises her hand*  IjuststartedplayinginAllanakandI'vemetsomereallygoodandtalentedandinterestinggemmedcharacterswhoseemtobeprettycoolaboutthewhole"wehateyoufuckers"rp
andIhopethisthreadisn'tdiscouragingbecausethere'salotofpotentialforfunanytimethereareasetofgoodplayersinoneplace.

*goes back to hiding*

I don't think it's a matter of sids, or magickal power...it's a matter of knowing your place.

A gemmer would probably not boast about having that kind of sids in public, because they are tools of the templarate and if a templar learned that one of his gemmers has more sids than he does, said templarate would fix that minor glitch post haste.

A gemmer would probably not boast in public about having lots of magickal power, because if a templar heard of the boasts, he would see that the tongue is no longer capable of wagging. And possibly take a few fingers with it.

A gemmer would probably not instigate in public an arguement with anyone with a "known last name" (such as Tor, or Nenyuk, for example), because the Last Namer has a whole house behind him. A gemmer has nothing behind him.

Gemmers are tools. They are not people, they're like..trained tigers in the circus. Yes, they're dangerous. Yes, they inspire awe and amazement, and some of the kids in the audience want to pet them. But other kids scream and cry and beg to be taken home when they see them, and develop phobias as a result of the trauma. Gemmers are tightly leashed, with collars that have *very* sharp spikes in them around their throats. And should a gemmer forget his place, that collar will be tugged. Gemmers need to remember that. And people who interact with gemmers should also remember that.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Since this thread isn't serving a purpose anymore and has devolved into the same stuff that these sorts of threads always devolve into, I'll go ahead and lock it with the obligatory "this discussion crops up every couple months anyway regardless of the fact that nothing ever really changes" response, with an additional "if you bring up your same arguments in every thread on this topic, no one is going to read them and everyone is going to just rehash the same arguments they've always had," and a final "if you really want to bring this up but not actually add anything new to the table, I can just set a timer and bump the latest thread on this topic every two months while leaving it locked--everyone wins."

Quote from: Nyr on October 29, 2008, 06:24:55 PM
The good news is that I wrote this response already.

Quote from: Nyr on July 15, 2008, 02:04:43 PM
Quote from: Nyr on June 23, 2008, 01:55:00 PM
If you'd like to relive years-old debates/discussions about magickers, you can go
here,
here,
here,
here,
here,
here,
here,
here,
here,
and here.  (There are more, but I got tired of copying the links into a nonspammy format.)

Players bring this up about once every few months, as you may notice from the links I listed the last time this was brought up. 
I didn't think we were due for another round of "kick the magicker" so soon, though.  At last check, the last spurt of "discussion" happened a month ago.
There was the player-initiated karma-off which resulted in some cessation of who had karma roles, but people still special-apped and some others eventually requested their karma back.
I can't speak for other staff members, but what dakurus said rings true--and it's even been said before by staff members.  People still bring this up, usually with nothing new to bring to the table.  If there is anything new in these discussions it gets trampled by the same old stuff.  I don't even feel compelled to read threads dealing with complaints about magickers anymore. 

I believe it's also worth reading this by Dakurus, referenced above.

Quote from: Dakurus on July 15, 2008, 01:06:52 PM
The actual number of magickers in the "who" list, or online at any moment is far from directly proportional to the perception of how many magickers are about in the game. It might be 10% or 40%, but it's more about their playtime, where they visit, and what they do. It doesn't take but one or two going to a particular oasis who play most nights to make a significant impression. The same could be said for one or two going to a particular bar. But then there's that one or two that sit in a cave or apartment or temple, which is very low impact with regards to perception. The impact is also proportional to the area in which players limit themselves. One or two magickers playing regularly in the rinth, would dramaticly affect perception for rinthis, while one or two who wandered far and wide in the waste might have less of an impression. Some magickers can travel rapidly from place to place but it's not unlikely that they'll visit similar places to mundanes, be it for water, food, goods, interaction, or otherwise. There are bound to be interactions on the few roads, few bars, few wateringholes, few resource gathering spots, and so on. The interaction between two magickers meeting at these spots, two mundanes, or a mix, is very different in every case, and even made more different based on culture. The frequency, material covered, and resolution of these occurances (sometimes decided by one player, sometimes both) also has a heavy affect on perception.

That said, it is the responsibility of players to adhere to the documentation.
It is not the responsibility of players to deal with complaints about players if someone is not adhering to the documentation.
If you notice someone not adhering to the documentation and it cannot be dealt with in-character, then:
Player request > player complaint > I think this guy/gal is not following the documentation and here's why (add logs/evidence/opinions) > submit
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.