Dung.....

Started by YellowCactus, March 04, 2009, 07:37:39 PM

Hi guys and girls and those people in between,
     I've been playing Armageddon a Long time...(Not as long as some).  I feel the need to say that because I don't use the forums much and most of my old armageddon friends don't play anymore because they work for the Government, or are in Jail.  Anyways......
     About this Dung.  When I first saw it, I grabbed up as much as possible and went to find the Dung-seller!  But that didn't pan out.  Now, I'm just finding shit everywhere, and it's a sort of annoying item.  It would be much more exciting to find my lod character's bones.  Really....
-YC

Quote from: YellowCactus on March 04, 2009, 07:37:39 PM
  When I first saw it, I grabbed up as much as possible and went to find the Dung-seller!  But that didn't pan out. 

Can you be more specific?  You should be able to sell dung in both Tuluk and Allanak.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Specifically,
    Dung selling is dumb!
-C

While I won't shit on Olgaris's work so freely...

... please at least remove the echos or make them less IN YOUR FACE when mounts take a shit? It has moved from an "oooh, neat" or "oooh, funny" thing into the realm of severe coded annoyance, especially during tense scenes.

Which is only funny the first couple of times.

Sparks crackling from his eyes, the ancient, evil defiler of death says, in menacing-accented sirihish:
     "Submit to me.. or die, fool."

A war-beetle squeezes out a fist-sized lump of dung.

That isn't even getting into the whole 'dung everywhere' thing, and massive piles of shit resulting from a single tregil NPC. Putting dung piles in place at stables (and other places that make sense) would allow the intent behind this change (to create a coded job) remain viable, even if (and I'll keep my fingers hoplessly crossed) the mount and NPC-crapping is removed.

March 04, 2009, 08:37:29 PM #4 Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 11:14:58 PM by Eloran
Quote from: YellowCactus on March 04, 2009, 07:55:28 PM
Dung selling is dumb!

Then don't do it. Farm cotton. Forage for salt. Mine.

Quote from: a strange shadow on March 04, 2009, 08:01:23 PM
While I won't shit on Olgaris's work so freely...

These puns never get old.  ;D

I personally like the addition. It gives other characters a way to track. I think that's a big, big addition that many players fail to grasp. Then again, maybe I'm the stupid one for giving away a unique way to track someone.

I can see it now:

Riders scooping up their mount's shit as they travel through a rather nasty area.  :o

It used to be, when I would go to the Rennaisance Faire during graduate school, I would think, "Where are the open sewers and plague?"

This is a push in the right direction for Zalanthas.  Except that because it is only mount-poop, I don't know if the 'Rinth is getting its fair share.

"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I wonder how insect excrement differs from mammalian excrement.

War beetles seem to be shitting like horses. I saw one even 'squirt' out a 'sloppy pile' of reeking diarrhea. Which was interesting. But how much research has gone into the effects of giant insect defecation?

It is a potentially fascinating field.

Quote from: Clearsighted on March 04, 2009, 08:46:24 PM
It is a potentially fecenating field.

Couldn't help myself.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

I still love dung.

But I do wish that when a pile gets to a certain height in the wild it would attract dung beetles and other small animals to reduce it.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Do birds and bats poop now?  If so, I suspect their droppings ought to decompose quickly.

Here today, guano tomorrow.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

"Shit is flawed in your opinion, and I'm sure others, however as you well know there are other games out there.  If you really hate the way this one is run, feel free to find another that'll meet your expectations."

"A solo turd is somewhat boring, and having shit to hang out with on the roads and do things with helps keep turds from getting bored and powergaming. However, this approach does not seem to have worked well, and I apologize for whatever part I've played in unleashing a horde of turds in the past."

In 2011 Concerned players will be encouraged to sacrifice ability to purchase a mount and skill to ride it. Some will follow and their folly will be praised, even though others will continue to buy mounts back to back for quite some time.

/certified prophet

LOL.

The turds are fine. It's good. It stays in, or you malcontents die.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Doesn't bother me at all. It does add to the environment and, as someone else said it's an additional way to track mounted folks or critters.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I'm all for it. Just gets -really- annoying to see HUGE MOUNDS of dung, everywhere.

I still think it adds a good feel to Zalanthas, though.

A good, squishy feel.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I'm more annoyed that there's no dung in places which should be loaded in it. I hope Olgaris doesn't take that to mean that 'rinthi NPCs would suddenly get the urge to squeeze one out.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I think that places like the Rinth should have scripts to auto load dung into them via an ambient room emote ... sort of like the way certain places in the wastes auto load water.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Feces bubbles up from the ground, filling the cesspool.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 05, 2009, 06:08:23 AM
Feces bubbles up from the ground, filling the cesspool.

Hot.

Wait ... what?

It wouldn't make much sense to have dung in a place without animals. The whole point of the code was to provide poor, commoner pcs with a coded way to make cash without pc interaction.
And even in the rinth it's not likely that someone is going to pay money for human feces. Go play with your virtual poo, you don't need an object for human feces too.
I really don't like this trend of demanding that things like feces be coded, it encourages the "if it's not coded I can't see it" attitude that really sucks the life out of the game world.

Please restore my faith in Armageddon by learning to play with your poo virtually.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote from: staggerlee on March 05, 2009, 03:06:13 PM
Please restore my faith in Armageddon by learning to play with your poo virtually.

Dung-gone-it, I'm starting to agree with this sentiment.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

I really don't like this trend of demanding that things like feces be coded, it encourages the "if it's not coded I can't see it" attitude that really sucks the life out of the game world.

Wait, what? Olgaris, to my knowledge, acted on his own volition to start and complete this project. I don't remember many people demanding to see shit. If any did, it was likely a select handful of players.

I think you're reaching here.

Why is everyone so bent outta shape over this? Having coded crap gives grebbers another avenue to make money. Is that really a bad thing? Many people are proponents of "playing the grebber who never does anything awesome, just works a meaningless job and shambles along through life." Well, the dung code gives said players that avenue they were looking for.

As I stated earlier, it also gives others a way to track potential quarry.

The pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Make it a kindling item and I'll sure as shit be picking it up.

I also think that lone turds should disintegrate pretty quickly.

Maybe a "brief poop" command for all the whiners?

Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on March 05, 2009, 04:08:23 PM
Make it a kindling item and I'll sure as shit be picking it up.

I also think that lone turds should disintegrate pretty quickly.

Have you idea'd either in game yet?

Quote from: Eloran on March 05, 2009, 04:06:50 PM

Wait, what? Olgaris, to my knowledge, acted on his own volition to start and complete this project. I don't remember many people demanding to see shit. If any did, it was likely a select handful of players.

I think you're reaching here.

Why is everyone so bent outta shape over this? Having coded crap gives grebbers another avenue to make money. Is that really a bad thing? Many people are proponents of "playing the grebber who never does anything awesome, just works a meaningless job and shambles along through life." Well, the dung code gives said players that avenue they were looking for.

As I stated earlier, it also gives others a way to track potential quarry.

The pros definitely outweigh the cons.

You're missing my point.
I was specifically addressing posts like this:

Quote from: musashi on March 05, 2009, 02:57:37 AM
I think that places like the Rinth should have scripts to auto load dung into them via an ambient room emote ... sort of like the way certain places in the wastes auto load water.

Your tracking comment serves to illustrate my point nicely. I love the idea of a ranger emoting stooping and pointing to a pile of dried dung to indicate that a kank had waddled by after seeing the results of his "track" skill. It shows creativity and engagement with the virtual world rather than just typing in commands and staring at the coded strings that return.  You shouldn't need coded objects to realize that things like that are lying around. But I'm beating a very dead horse here.

Do keep in mind that my post was, as stated, specifically talking about the rinth and the kind of feces that would accumulate there.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

I havent read everything but this is my two cents.

Its relatively easy to ignore the echo of a mount pooping. Just cause some text flashes across my screen i dont freak out cause now I know my mount pooped. I don't see how its more annoying that the random mount-motes where they stomp around or moo. I'd glad poop isnt virtual, there are a number of uses for certain people. Tracking for those pcs who dont have the ability to find mounts actual tracks. Maybe you wanna leave a smelly trail for a lost friend to find their way....and the raiders that are following along. Little creativity can make poo more than just an annoying item to spam your screen. And I haven't seen a whole mess of poo personally.
War is not about who is right, but who is left
Quote from: BebopWhy is my butt always sore when I wake up?  :cry:

Quote from: XioTracking for those pcs who dont have the ability to find mounts actual tracks.

Did you actually try to do it? Unless we talk about tregil atop a mountain of dung, which does not really need tracking, please exaplain how random turd in the wastes leads you to your prey.

any decent mu*client worth its salt has a gag command, so quit your bitching and deal with it on your end if you don't like it. the game is fucking free for krath's sake.

Quote from: staggerlee on March 05, 2009, 04:14:58 PM
You're missing my point.
I was specifically addressing posts like this [musashi quote]

My ignorance shines. Oops.

I love the idea of a ranger emoting stooping and pointing to a pile of dried dung to indicate that a kank had waddled by after seeing the results of his "track" skill.

I suppose this is where our opinions of code diverge. You see, I like coded skills, but in addition, I love the idea of a character being able to rely on what they see without coded skills. If you see a pile of dune, head west, and see another pile, chances are an individual riding an animal, or a wild animal, is headed in that general direction.

What's not the like about that?

It opens up new avenues for roleplay.

If you cannot concede this point, I think we've nothing further to discuss.

You shouldn't need coded objects to realize that things like that are lying around.

Why shouldn't you? We are playing a MUD, correct? What we see reinforces what's really happening in Zalanthas, yes? Sure, there's a line to be drawn, but as I said, I think having dung objects has more pros than cons.

I'll reiterate once more

THE SHIT CODE:

1) Creates new jobs

2) Gives non rangers/hunters the ability to track, albeit poorly, potential quarry.

3) You can throw it. At people.

Do keep in mind that my post was, as stated, specifically talking about the rinth and the kind of feces that would accumulate there.

Part of your post was. I've addressed the areas that delved towards discussing the dung code in general, or as it pertains to the ability to track.

That being said, I have little to add to this. I will say, however, that I have seen dung, I think, in those side alleys in Allanak. I see nothing wrong with having a coded pile of crap randomly loaded in, say, a dead end in the 'rinth.

It's not harming anything.

Quote from: Doppelganger on March 05, 2009, 05:02:02 PM
Quote from: XioTracking for those pcs who dont have the ability to find mounts actual tracks.

Did you actually try to do it? Unless we talk about tregil atop a mountain of dung, which does not really need tracking, please exaplain how random turd in the wastes leads you to your prey.

Depends on how fast your prey is moving. Came across a stray turd while out looking for some wood to make a campfire. With a little searching I found a nearby pc and a rather hostile situation (insinuated by my char) ensued which would've never happened had I grabbed a just few branches and walked away.

Quote from: XioDepends on how fast your prey is moving. Came across a stray turd while out looking for some wood to make a campfire. With a little searching I found a nearby pc and a rather hostile situation (insinuated by my char) ensued which would've never happened had I grabbed a just few branches and walked away.

I fear to reveal something that is too IC or concerns a deep secrets of a game mechanics, but I'd say that if you move in random directions for period of time, you always have a chance to encounter another PC which might have something or might have nothing to do with your previously found turd.

Quote from: Xio on March 05, 2009, 04:40:45 PM
Its relatively easy to ignore the echo of a mount pooping. Just cause some text flashes across my screen i dont freak out cause now I know my mount pooped. 
<cut>
And I haven't seen a whole mess of poo personally.

No, it's not as easy as you might think.  Somebody waving a hand in public is overlooked invokes no negative thoughts or feelings.  A person taking a shit on the sidewalk in public does invoke negative thoughts and feelings.  I don't enjoy watching a dog take a shit.  I don't enjoy watching horses or cattle taking a shit.  I'm very glad that, with the exception of occasional toilet humor, that movies, TV shows, and books don't portray the characters taking a shit.

Shitting, in general, does not have a casual, enjoyable feel to it.  In essence, it's repulsive and best kept in private. 

I like the code.  I am thankful for Olgaris' hard work.  I like having shit in the game.  I like the trail it leaves behind.  I like the opportunities for grebbers to make sid.  However, I do not like having an in your face emote of a beast taking a shit.  A hemote or semote would be just fine, just dandy.

As for piles - oh dear God yes I've seen some massive piles in the game.  No, this wasn't just in stables or the like but scattered throughout the wild in various places.

Eh, I say get over it.

Shit happens.

>.>

<.<

I... I really can't believe the argument this has stemmed. Are you people shitting me?

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 05, 2009, 06:05:53 PM
I... I really can't believe the argument this has stemmed. Are you people shitting me?

ROFL

I feel like it's a nice addition, bit just a bit weird in execution. Now we have lots of poop on the roads (where the mounts go) when that could probably stand to be an area with virtual poo, but no poo in places like the Rinth and UnderTuluk where it should be far more common place to step in (because mounts don't go there).

For me it seems to create yet another weird situation where a PC has to go semi-ooc to do something. My Rinthi' grebber has to actually leave the Rinth and go out to the proper part of the city to roll around in a stable in order to codedly smell like feces. Just strikes me as weird.

I'd be fine with virtual poop, but since it WAS coded, I'd like to see it implemented as effectively and realisticaly as possible.

Quote from: rishenko on March 05, 2009, 05:44:25 PM
Quote from: Xio on March 05, 2009, 04:40:45 PM
Its relatively easy to ignore the echo of a mount pooping. Just cause some text flashes across my screen i dont freak out cause now I know my mount pooped. 
<cut>
And I haven't seen a whole mess of poo personally.

No, it's not as easy as you might think.  Somebody waving a hand in public is overlooked invokes no negative thoughts or feelings.  A person taking a shit on the sidewalk in public does invoke negative thoughts and feelings.  I don't enjoy watching a dog take a shit.  I don't enjoy watching horses or cattle taking a shit.  I'm very glad that, with the exception of occasional toilet humor, that movies, TV shows, and books don't portray the characters taking a shit.

My point is this, just because it took a shit and you got that text flashing across your screen doesn't mean your character saw it happen. When someone walks into a room, you get the echo, yes, but does that mean your char saw or heard them approach? Maybe, maybe not. If you honestly believe all the text you see is absolutely positively noticed by your char in every situation, there's something wrong with that mentality, imo. Lets say you're standing next to your friends beetle and it takes a shit, you icly don't see it and but you OOCly know it happened. You can now RP it shat on the bottom of your cloak, take a sniff look behind you and get all pissed

Quote from: musashi on March 05, 2009, 10:36:03 PM
Now we have lots of poop on the roads (where the mounts go) when that could probably stand to be an area with virtual poo, but no poo in places like the Rinth and UnderTuluk where it should be far more common place to step in (because mounts don't go there).

You did know there's like, an entire tunnel shaft FULL of shit in Under Tuluk, right?

You know... I write smell and taste messages for all those types of poo. Did any of you even notice?   :-\

Oh, and there was an NPC in the wilds that was pooping too frequently, and it was fixed yesterday. That's what I have to say about that.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

I'd use taste on it, but it would not be part of my character's personality. More of his character to pay off someone to taste it. I did use smell on some shit grebbers, they smelled like dust and sweat.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

The emote given off by mounts pooping has been moved to an hemote. 

Until it piles up into a mound, the poops will be hidden.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on March 06, 2009, 10:28:16 AM

Woooh!

But--there's always a but, Morgenes; we're insatiable--noticeable via scan?  Or is scan only for critters?
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on March 06, 2009, 10:37:59 AM

Woooh!

But--there's always a but, Morgenes; we're insatiable--noticeable via scan?  Or is scan only for critters?

Try 'look dung', 'keyword dung' and 'count dung room'.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on March 06, 2009, 10:51:18 AM
Quote from: brytta.leofa on March 06, 2009, 10:37:59 AM
Woooh!

Try 'look dung', 'keyword dung' and 'count dung room'.

Awesome.  Thanks.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Olgaris on March 05, 2009, 11:45:24 PMOh, and there was an NPC in the wilds that was pooping too frequently, and it was fixed yesterday. That's what I have to say about that.

You rock!

As do you!

Quote from: Olgaris on March 05, 2009, 11:45:24 PM
You know... I write smell and taste messages for all those types of poo. Did any of you even notice?   :-\

Oh, and there was an NPC in the wilds that was pooping too frequently, and it was fixed yesterday. That's what I have to say about that.

Poor Olgaris.

Too many people griping. Making like their shit don't stink.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

just checking cause i haven't had a rp-reason to pull the mount out and/or go outside the walls with my char yet, are the poops themselves hidden, or just the poop-mote?

Any individual dung that was in game before the change will remain visible until the next reboot.

Any individual dung dropped by an animal since then will be hidden, but when enough of it collects to create a mound, you will see the mound.

And the emote was changed to a hemote.

And the script has been added to more mounts (and to rodents, for you northsiders/tunnel dwellers).

Do the dung sellers accept defiler ash?

I think they should.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

March 08, 2009, 08:08:31 PM #48 Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 08:10:18 PM by Xio
99% sure I'm alone in this: Anyone else think that individual poops shouldn't be hidden? (i know you can see them by hitting 'look dung')
Not a fan of the fact that it got changed thanks to the complaints, but its moreso IC reasons than just some OOC pet peeves of mine that drive my desire for poo to be seen when not in a mound.

March 09, 2009, 04:47:48 AM #49 Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 05:09:07 AM by hyzhenhok
I have a few criticisms about the poop code, because I think it can be better. I didn't think it should be hidden, but that doesn't really matter.

1. Help poop scraping needs to be updated to inform players that small collections of poop are hidden unless in large mounds, though.
2. Poop needs more mass and volume. I can stuff a mound's worth of shit into my cloak, and walk around with it without blinking.
3. Worse, I can put all of the poop in a bag, and then put that bag in my cloak, and now nobody even knows I've been poop scraping, even though this isn't the spirit of the code. All of your equipped items should become smelly when you even think about touching a dung pile. Right now, you can be sure that any character walking around with smelly equipment has chosen to do so by willing putting his equipment and the poop in contact with each other.

The current barrier against making big bucks off of poop is the fact that it takes a huge commitment of time and endurance to clear out a mound. I would like to see the difficulty of the job changed to simply the matter of transportation. Currently the system is like so: obtaining the right amount of manure is difficult, but transporting it is no difficulty. I should think that it should be the opposite: obtaining the manure is the easy part, and the hard part is transporting it in salable quantities. I should be sweating my ass off hauling enough shit to the seller to get 20 sid, not strolling around with 100 obsidian's worth of dung magickally hidden away in my cloak. Likewise, I should not become exhausted after having obtained only two fist-sized balls of dung while using a shovel.

Besides that, I love the poop code. Two thumbs up to Olgaris. :)

Invisible shit makes no sense.

Bring on the shit.

Quote from: Eloran on March 09, 2009, 01:58:39 PM
Invisible shit makes no sense.

It's not invisible. It's just not very obvious. Similary as you can't see all that small stones in the room until you forage.

I'm still in favor of "brief poop".

srsly.

March 09, 2009, 04:14:40 PM #53 Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 04:16:17 PM by Eloran
Quote from: Elgiva on March 09, 2009, 03:56:00 PM
It's not invisible. It's just not very obvious. Similary as you can't see all that small stones in the room until you forage.

That's not the same thing, and you know it.

Having crap not visible unless you assess, count, or look in the room is silly.

It totally eliminates one of the purposes shit was coded for in the first place: Being able to track quarry through a given area.

I fail to see why this addition to the game is even viable if it's been made practically invisible at the behest of a select group of players.

Quote from: Xio on March 08, 2009, 08:08:31 PM
99% sure I'm alone in this: Anyone else think that individual poops shouldn't be hidden? (i know you can see them by hitting 'look dung')
Not a fan of the fact that it got changed thanks to the complaints, but its moreso IC reasons than just some OOC pet peeves of mine that drive my desire for poo to be seen when not in a mound.

It wasn't done because of complaints, or not just because of that.  The same debate that has been going on here, has also been happening on the staff side.  We're going to monitor the change, as always, and see how it goes.

Just like you don't need to 'hunt' to see tracks through a room? Oh, wait...

I'm going to say the same thing we "complainers" were told, Eloran - quitcherbitchin'.

Quote from: Eloran on March 09, 2009, 04:14:40 PM

It totally eliminates one of the purposes shit was coded for in the first place: Being able to track quarry through a given area.

This is not one of the reasons that poop was coded; it was a side effect.  The 'hunt' skill is what should be used to track quarry.

Quote from: Vanth on March 09, 2009, 04:20:15 PM
This is not one of the reasons that poop was coded; it was a side effect.  The 'hunt' skill is what should be used to track quarry.

I'm well aware of that Vanth. I should have changed my words to reflect what I meant.

It was a side effect, but a much welcomed one, might I add. I found that reason alone to be a great reason to keep the crap in game.

It's just rediculous that a few vocal members of the community can have such a profound impact on an addition to the game. The "addition" itself has practically been neutered, and I hate that.

Quote from: Vanth on March 09, 2009, 04:17:57 PM
Quote from: Xio on March 08, 2009, 08:08:31 PM

It wasn't done because of complaints, or not just because of that.  The same debate that has been going on here, has also been happening on the staff side.  We're going to monitor the change, as always, and see how it goes.

Speaking of vocal, Eloran, a rough count shows that you've been a most prolific poster in this thread.

Quote from: Eloran on March 09, 2009, 04:14:40 PM
Having crap not visible unless you assess, count, or look in the room is silly.

I've lived in a few apartment complexes that have pets.  People take their pets onto the greener areas to shit.  I don't really notice the shit unless I am walking through those specified areas and glancing down (or stepping in it).  In Zalanthas, the grass is generally tall (not at all cut), and the sand dunes have constant wind coating damn near anything on the ground for any specified amount of time, rather the opposite of well-trimmed lawns that are still capable of hiding a decent amount of dung.

So, no, it's not silly to require somebody to look for shit - just like stones or tracks.

Quote from: a strange shadow on March 09, 2009, 04:26:30 PM
Speaking of vocal, Eloran, a rough count shows that you've been a most prolific poster in this thread.

That's because I feel it prudent to defend the code due to the potential for roleplay it can foster. Go read the other threads that shit on (yeah,  ::)) the code addition.

In any case, nice gotcha.

Quote from: rishenko on March 09, 2009, 04:29:28 PM
I've lived in a few apartment complexes that have pets.  People take their pets onto the greener areas to shit.  I don't really notice the shit unless I am walking through those specified areas and glancing down (or stepping in it).  In Zalanthas, the grass is generally tall (not at all cut), and the sand dunes have constant wind coating damn near anything on the ground for any specified amount of time.

Did you intentionally forget to mention the plethora of roads in Zalanthas that have untold piles of shit littering the path?

Why are we comparing Zalanthas to Earth? One is more advanced technologically/civilized than the other.

Let's also not forget that the size of a beetle's stool will be significantly larger than that of a dog. Likely the size of a horse, or an elephant.

Ever been to a parade with horses? If you have, you get where I'm going with this.

But we're going in circles.

There's no point in me even bothering at this point.

Quote from: Eloran on March 09, 2009, 04:33:40 PM
Quote from: rishenko on March 09, 2009, 04:29:28 PM
I've lived in a few apartment complexes that have pets.  People take their pets onto the greener areas to shit.  I don't really notice the shit unless I am walking through those specified areas and glancing down (or stepping in it).  In Zalanthas, the grass is generally tall (not at all cut), and the sand dunes have constant wind coating damn near anything on the ground for any specified amount of time.

Did you intentionally forget to mention the plethora of roads in Zalanthas that have untold piles of shit littering the path?

Why are we comparing Zalanthas to Earth? One is more advanced technologically/civilized than the other.

Let's also not forget that the size of a beetle's stool will be significantly larger than that of a dog. Likely the size of a horse, or an elephant.

Ever been to a parade with horses? If you have, you get where I'm going with this.

But we're going in circles.

There's no point in me even bothering at this point.

Since we're going in circles... I thought we were talking about tracking quarry through the wild as being your main argument in favor of visible shit? 

If so... Let's not forget that a beetle's stool, horse's stool or what have you will still blend in extremely well with knee or thigh high grass... or get covered by blowing sand within an hour of game time, if that... or would simply blend with the craggly, basalt rocks that form oh so many badlands.

Stop talking shit.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: rishenko on March 09, 2009, 04:38:03 PM
Let's not forget that a beetle's stool, horse's stool or what have you will still blend in extremely well with knee or thigh high grass.

It blends in? How?

It doesn't blend, so much as remain veiled/partially hidden by blades of grass. I think you're overestimating the thickness of grass on Zalanthas in general. In any case, I'll concede to this point. However, what about:

1) Not every zone in game has thick tufts of grass.

2) What about sparse foliage in scrublands?

3) What about barren soil with little sand and otherwise open areas in the game?

Quote from: rishenko on March 09, 2009, 04:38:03 PM
... or get covered by blowing sand within an hour of game time, if that... or would simply blend with the craggly, basalt rocks that form oh so many badlands.

Not all tracking is done in the wildnerness. You still haven't acknowledged my point regarding roads. Would a pile of crap be covered up on the North Road, or Dol Takar?

You've consistently listed only examples that support your stance on the subject, yet have failed to acknowledge ways in which crap would be seen.

I'll freely admit that crap would be seen on roads. 

In fact, I will freely admit that shit would be easily seen in areas that are completely flat, practically devoid of vegetation or rocks or other features that could break up the terrain.  Otherwise, shit just isn't that visible unless the above constraints are met or you are -right- on top of it.

Do I think that those few areas should constitute making shit visible everywhere, throughout the entire game, especially taking into consideration its size?  Surely not. 
Would it be spiffy keen if the imms flagged those kinds of rooms to allow shit to be seen to somebody just wandering along?  Surely would. 
Would I want to task them with it?  Surely not. 
Do I much prefer not seeing shit everywhere in the game?  Surely do.

I lika tha changes.  ;D

I'm just gonna say one thing before I stop.

If dung is invisible to the naked look (i.e., an untargetted look) because its too small to be noticed without specifically looking for it, shouldn't this include single obsidian coins, small piles of sid, etc etc. I'm not really complaining in this statement although it does sound like it, I'm just curious as to why only non-mounded dungs are hidden from view but other small objects which would go without notice unless you actually looked down at the ground and went 'Hey, look, a half-eaten steak thats still warm!'

-Fin

Using this kind of logic, it can be assumed that there's an argument for coding every possible common object in a every room in the game. There's a cutoff point. Crap in low-tech cities is -everywhere-. I like the fact it's hidden because it means people who want to interact with it can, but it fades into the background as a part of everyday life. Noticeable objects should be odd, of immediate utility, or something you interact with regularly. I don't think shit falls into this category. If it does, then there's an argument to continue coding every tiny little detail ad infinitum, which I don't think is the direction the game needs to go in.
Mansa to Me: "You are a cancer to ArmageddonMUD."

Yeah, I agree that this is a very positive change and good approach to several different problems that have arisen.  Very elegant.

FEATURE CREEEEEEEEEEEP
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

According to this it is valuable

The pot of sid at the end of the rainbow?

Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

I, personally, miss seeing dung everywhere. I support a command that lets us toggle between automatically seeing dung in a room and not.

Quote from: Aesuna on March 10, 2009, 08:42:25 PM
I, personally, miss seeing dung everywhere. I support a command that lets us toggle between automatically seeing dung in a room and not.

Oooh, I could buy into that.

Amos/101/armed>help nosave

Nosave                                                              (Combat)

The nosave command allows you to control whether your character will
attempt or refuse saving throws you are entitled to for a number of
different options.

Syntax:
   nosave [status|off|all|<option>]

Valid Options include:

arrest:
   Use this option to willingly surrender to soldiers of the city
you are in.  You will be automatically subdued if one tries to
subdue you.  Resisting arrest (by trying to break free) will
turn off this option automatically, and possibly irritate
soldiers, bringing bad consequences on yourself.

climb:
   This will cause you to fail all climbing checks.

magic:

Your character will not resist any magick spells cast at you.
This can be beneficial if the spell is beneficial and you don't
want to cast off it's effect.

psionics:
   Your character will not resist any psionic ability used on you.

skills:
   Your character will not resist any mundane skills used on you.
This includes skills such as kick & bash.

subdue:
   Your character will not resist being subdued, and no criminal
charges will be levied against someone trying to subdue you.
Note that if you are unconscious, this is automatic.

theft:
   Your character will not try and stop or detect theft.  This can
be beneficial in the case where someone is roleplaying stripping
you down when you are unconscious.

shit:
   Your character will not try and resist smelling and/or seeing shit
within a given area. This can be beneficial in cases where individuals
prefer using the optional roleplay props with their respective
characters. Note that if you are unconscious, shit can and likely will
be rubbed in, around, or near the vicinity of your hair, genitals,
and/or chest in a festive manner.

Notes:
   Typing nosave by itself will show you your current status.  You can also
type 'nosave status' to get your current status.

To turn all options on, type 'nosave all'.

To turn all options off, type 'nosave off'.

See also:
   criminal, skill climb, stat, surrender, shit

Nosave poopsight on
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

There should totally be the quasi-element of poop now, along with poop elementalists.

Fecal matter coalesces into existence around the smelly, dung-eyed man as he begins a spell.

>You think:
      "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU --"

A wall of poop rises, blocking the western exit.

A wall of poop rises, blocking the eastern exit.

A wall of poop rises, blocking the northern exit.

A wall of poop rises, blocking the southern exit.

You think:
     "WTF!!1!!!!"

You attempt to flee.
PANIC! You couldn't escape!

_______                                ___
                              /\\_____//~-_                        _-~\\__
                             (~)       ~-_ ~-_                  _-~ _-~   
                            (~)           ~-_ ~-_            _-~ /-~     
Welcome to Armageddon!     (~)              `~-_ ~_======_--~~ __~       
                          (~)               _~_\__\____/__/_--\ ~`-_   
                           \           _-~~            _-~~~-_ \_  ~-_ 
You may:                    ~-       __--~`_    /   _-~         ~.     ~_
(C) Disconnect from character      -~        \     _~       ___,  \ ~-_  \
(V) Toggle ANSI/VT100 mode       ,~ _-,       ~  _~         \   \  | , \ \ 
(B) Toggle 'brief' menus        / /~/      -~   /            ~  /  /  \~  \
(D) Documentation menu          | | \     _~    |        __-~  / _/  \~  '\

Finally, Fart of Doom spell can go live.

I just feel bad because I have been relying on finding lost gear on the ground to make my living... Next time I am on I will have to find this mysterious crap monger.
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

And now I have.  How do I use this grand service?  I did a help dung then a help job, but it didnt tell me what I needed tools wise to harvest my dung, or how I could have found this IC.  Say I find myself an NPC who looks like they might be offering work.  How do I find this out from them?  IE "ask dungmonger job" ?
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

help poop_scraping

of all things. :P

I still don't like this feature. But I'm a grumpy lion who doesn't like change. Even if it makes the game more appealing to pizza-faced highschool freshmen.

Wait.. Um..
your mother is an elf.

Quote from: Moofassa on March 11, 2009, 10:51:03 PM
I still don't like this feature. But I'm a grumpy lion who doesn't like change. Even if it makes the game more appealing to pizza-faced highschool freshmen.

Wait.. Um..

It's the Great Circle of Poo, Moofassa.

Quote from: Synthesis on March 11, 2009, 10:57:25 PM
Quote from: Moofassa on March 11, 2009, 10:51:03 PM

Wait.. Um..

It's the Great Circle of Poo, Moofassa.

One of the most timely and funny posts I've seen in awhile.  Kudos Syn.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life