Author Topic: Article: Biographies (discussion thread)  (Read 5086 times)

Thunkkin

Article: Biographies (discussion thread)
« on: February 26, 2009, 08:47:03 PM »
I thought I'd make a discussion thread so as to keep Taven's thread from getting cluttered.

I also thought I'd mention one thing that I use biographies for.  I'm not sure if the staff like them, but I have found them helpful.

OOC research!  I recently made a bio entry (tagged clearly to indicate that it was OOC research) in which I compiled some information about a topic after having researched it, and then related it to my character.  Appropriate topics might be RL fighting techniques and how you have related them to your character.  Real life investigation of poisons and how poisons work.  A real life medical condition and how your character experiences it, etc.  Not only will this help YOU flesh out your character, but it gives the staff some grounding for figuring out why the heck you might be doing something a certain way.

Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Zoltan

Re: Article: Biographies (discussion thread)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 09:03:07 PM »
I think I started to really enjoy bios with my last character, a 'rinther. I wrote them all in first person, and sometimes off the cuff (normally I like to type them in notepad first). They read almost like a confession at some points. I wrote them as if he was talking to someone, some final judge of his life and all it meant. Or maybe it was to his own withered conscience? Maybe I'm reading too much into it because I loved that character.  ::)

For my current, I write them as if I were writing a short story. A bunch of them have to do with his virtual years, and some of the major events that have shaped him. Some are maybe just a -little- abstract. They're extremely fun and fulfilling to write, but I'm -waaaaaay- behind.
Trunk
 hidden by 'body/torso'
 hides nipples

Niamh

• Legend
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 08:11:28 AM »
I love it when people keep their bios updated, especially all you independent folks out there.  It's a great way of keeping staff in the know about who your PC is and what he is doing with life, and I personally am always snooping through people's bios.  Don't let that discourage you from sending in periodic update emails, though!  Staff can't keep their eyes on every PC all the time, and we appreciate it very much when people keep us in the know.
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

SMuz

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 08:56:13 AM »
Heh, that's interesting. I've been doing everything that the article suggested fairly recently, but it would be nice if I knew it before I did it.

I think there should be a part in the article to suggest to write the bios in notepad or something first. With the descs and creation background, it's already properly formatted (I think), so it's a bad habit to start writing bios in sentence format, because it ends up ugly when you view it with that webtool thingy.

My character works in both a 3rd person and 1st person way. If it's something on what I plan the character to do, I write it in 3rd person - normally for dwarf focuses and anything in future tense ("Amos will search for an assassin to kill his boss"). If it's something interesting in a story mode ("I killed a mek today", "I kissed a gemmer and now everyone hates me"), I write it in 1st person.

Also, I like to put a small list of who my friends, enemies, and "other notables" in a separate entry and delete/re-add the entries once a RL month or if some of them die or move from say, enemy to friend. Not just a list of sdescs and names. Normally it contains what my opinions are of them, why I think that way, and what a reader would expect my character to do based on that relationship.
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

flurry

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 12:38:02 PM »
I had a character with over fifty bio entries, but I've since fallen out of the habit of doing them. I'm keep meaning to get back to them again, but it's hard to get past the feeling like you're putting a lot of effort into something no one else might ever read.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

mansa

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 12:44:06 PM »
I had a character with over fifty bio entries, but I've since fallen out of the habit of doing them. I'm keep meaning to get back to them again, but it's hard to get past the feeling like you're putting a lot of effort into something no one else might ever read.

I have the opposite reaction, as the bios are the only things that I remember from my characters, and is the only thing that I have that lasts!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

solera

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 01:19:15 PM »
I have changed my style a bit from my last character.  I have started basing it entirely off what happens in my logs,  rather than reporting on what happened, what their attitudes, feelings would have been.
First person sounds good, though I feel awkward even using "I" in my thinks.
The trouble is with bios, the more that happens, the further my bios fall behind.

Kol

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 09:38:10 AM »
Can
I love it when people keep their bios updated, especially all you independent folks out there.  It's a great way of keeping staff in the know about who your PC is and what he is doing with life, and I personally am always snooping through people's bios.  Don't let that discourage you from sending in periodic update emails, though!  Staff can't keep their eyes on every PC all the time, and we appreciate it very much when people keep us in the know.

Can staff look at bio entries? This makes me feel so much better, I'v played six xhars so far (including my fellow now) And Im this is the first time I've ever put a bio entry in, Id love to one day play a templar or magiker, and this makes me feel so much more confident about that goal, aspecially as all my chars die quickly....I try to keep em alive....I dunno if you can, but I remember reading mention of talk about a final bio entry before you die once, I think that would be a brilliant idea, a final chance to relay the thoughts of some of your favorite chars about thier life, and death.... any chance that could be implemented?
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Taven

• Helper
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 10:35:57 PM »
Can

Can staff look at bio entries? This makes me feel so much better, I'v played six xhars so far (including my fellow now) And Im this is the first time I've ever put a bio entry in, Id love to one day play a templar or magiker, and this makes me feel so much more confident about that goal, aspecially as all my chars die quickly....I try to keep em alive....I dunno if you can, but I remember reading mention of talk about a final bio entry before you die once, I think that would be a brilliant idea, a final chance to relay the thoughts of some of your favorite chars about thier life, and death.... any chance that could be implemented?

YES, Staff CAN and DO look at Bio entries.

As yet, there is no way to do a Final Bio Entry, although if it was something of grave importance, you could email the mud account and ask if one could get added. I don't know what the current plans are for this in the future, although many ideas have been discussed.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Kol

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 04:09:43 PM »
Can

YES, Staff CAN and DO look at Bio entries.

As yet, there is no way to do a Final Bio Entry, although if it was something of grave importance, you could email the mud account and ask if one could get added. I don't know what the current plans are for this in the future, although many ideas have been discussed.

thats comforting, Thanks for the heads up, and Ill do so with this guy, just a quick question though, Who would I e-mail the final bio entry to? If i was part of a house, would it be the Imm for that house or someone different?
A staff member sends:

Taven

• Helper
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 04:14:59 PM »

thats comforting, Thanks for the heads up, and Ill do so with this guy, just a quick question though, Who would I e-mail the final bio entry to? If i was part of a house, would it be the Imm for that house or someone different?

Again, I'd only do that if it was something of unusually significant importance, but I'd maybe Email the mud account and CC or clan (or independent) Immortals. That should cover all the bases; and if your imms have a different suggestion or can handle it faster, it gives them that opportunity. If you did do this, I'd be sure to include why you think the last and final bio entry is so important, and the like.

Kol

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 08:59:22 PM »
awsome, Thanks Taven.
A staff member sends:

Taven

• Helper
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 10:16:46 PM »
. . . what message does someone who Contacts you and tries to send a Way message get when you're in the biography editor?  (Since bio is an entirely OOC command, I hope this is an appropriate question.)

Again, danke.

You get the normal "A forgien prescence contacts your mind," and the same for withdrawing. There is no other echo, you just have to know that you won't get a Way from that person.

Taven

• Helper
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 10:19:39 PM »
Ave!

Is there a character limit for bio entries?  If so, what would it be?

Thanks.

There are, I'm not sure what it is. You can write gigantic bios, and I have yet to reach the cap. Some five or so [MORE] is the biggest I've written mine, and I split one into two bios for concerns that I'd go over the limit. It shouldn't be a concern for most normal, reasonable people. :P

Reiloth

• Corpse Pose: B&W Film Photography
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 11:12:43 PM »
Staff do read and appreciate bios.

I should do more -- But like others have said, once I fall far behind on my bios, I tend to feel like I missed so much, or it feels like homework.

What I like to do in this case:

I write vague, all-encompassing bios to fill in the gaps. It really helps. So if you've gone a few years, have a recap post, and speak vaguely about what happened in your PC's life in the time inbetween.

Other bio entries I write are very specific, about particulars of a relationship or friendship.

I will definitely write bios about a situation that my PC is being duplicitous in. If I am cheating a merchant on a deal, or if something I do may lead to another person's death, I will definitely make sure it is known in my bio command, just as I make sure to think in game "That's a lie. This is actually what I am doing".

Bios help me keep track of what's going down, but when I fall behind...It sucks.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

a strange shadow

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 11:14:58 PM »
Bios help me keep track of what's going down, but when I fall behind...It sucks.

Hardcore. It does feel like homework sometimes. I solve that by writing up what I feel like writing at the time, and promising myself that someday.. someday.. I'll be caught up enough to be able to enter it all in detailed chronological order.

Someday.

For now, summaries will do.

Taven

• Helper
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 01:03:29 PM »
Updated the Article to include maximum number of characters, thanks given to Fathi.

Cutthroat

• Helper
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 10:49:45 AM »
Nice revisions. I'd suggest putting more stuff about the new bio tool in the "Bios: When and Where?" section, since that tool pretty much renders IG bio-editing obsolete.

spawnloser

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 09:14:48 AM »
Correction:  Towards the end you mention that bios can only be worked on while logged in.  This is now incorrect.  You can do them through the mud while logged in or through the web-interface while not logged in.
Quote from: Malifaxis
We need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiteration
spawnloser knows all

Quote from: Spoon
A magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Adieren

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2009, 10:49:09 AM »
Well, I recently made a decision that I'm going to be writing a bio entry, like a short story for every important event in my current character's life. Kinda like defining moments. I don't know if that's actually the proper way to use the bio, though.

Taven

• Helper
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 09:01:28 PM »
Correction:  Towards the end you mention that bios can only be worked on while logged in.  This is now incorrect.  You can do them through the mud while logged in or through the web-interface while not logged in.

There was a mention of this at the beginning, but you're right: It needed more editing later in the article. Thanks!

Well, I recently made a decision that I'm going to be writing a bio entry, like a short story for every important event in my current character's life. Kinda like defining moments. I don't know if that's actually the proper way to use the bio, though.

I think that's a fine way to do it. Do you think any additions to the article would be useful, or did you find it well-rounded?

Taven

• Helper
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 10:42:13 PM »
I put in a biography example that is now old enough to post. I'm thinking a conclusion section would be nice, just to wrap the article up. What do you think? Does it need a conclusion bit? Does the biography example help, or is it unecessary?

You can see the article by clicking here!

Cutthroat

• Helper
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 10:57:07 PM »
It looks good, and the example is helpful. Add a conclusion to wrap it up if you want, but it's starting to look pretty much complete.