I'd Like To Encourage

Started by Is Friday, February 21, 2009, 02:50:09 PM

Quote from: Delstro on February 22, 2009, 05:03:15 PMI would further like to encourage people not to over react in game. Don't be too attached to your items characters.

Fixed.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I'd like to encourage people to remember their character's place.

It kinda boggles me how often I run into half-elf/gemmer/mutant/rinthi PCs who consistently act surprised and bewildered when they encounter prejudice from other PCs.

Hurt? Sure. Insulted? Sure. Angry? Awesome.

But acting shocked and appalled? Not so much.

That said, I'd like to encourage people to make more mutants. I love playing them. I love interacting with them. Just don't act surprised when the guy at the bar calls you a weirdo for having tentacles on your head.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Fathi on February 23, 2009, 01:32:25 AM
I'd like to encourage people to remember their character's place.

It kinda boggles me how often I run into half-elf/gemmer/mutant/rinthi PCs who consistently act surprised and bewildered when they encounter prejudice from other PCs.

Hurt? Sure. Insulted? Sure. Angry? Awesome.

But acting shocked and appalled? Not so much.

That said, I'd like to encourage people to make more mutants. I love playing them. I love interacting with them. Just don't act surprised when the guy at the bar calls you a weirdo for having tentacles on your head.
Ironically, I find that the newbies are much more accepting of prejudice from other PCs. It's the pros (those guys who can type out a long emoted conversation in half a sec) that seem to expect some love and defend other lower society members. But then again, those who are politically powerful (long-lived gemmers, rinthi breed sergeants) tend to get some backup and that's understandable.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: Malken on February 22, 2009, 05:36:09 PM
Less spending time in your private rooms paired up or trying to find ways to get that other person to spend hours with you alone in that private room and
more time spent trying to come up with plots and ideas that would get you and others involved with more than one on one private 'roleplaying' sessions.

This. Definitely this.

But in general, I'd like to see leaders trying to get more people involved if only in a small way, and follower-types trying to get involved with leaders.

I've said it many times before, but...

I'd like to encourage people to play their Allanaki mages for a while before getting gemmed.  Like for a month or two.  Develop the character's personality.  Make friends and lovers, then traumatize them horribly when you show up one day wearing a gem.

The time I did that myself is still one of my top 5 favorite Armageddon events, rivaling HRPTs.

Yeh ... it's not a crime to get discovered, when you don't know yourself. It's a crime to know what you are and not do anything about it.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I'd encourage more people to break away from preoccupation with coded/material awesomeness.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

I'd like to encourage people to play classes that discourage the -need- for guild sniffing.

So that, if you are looking for work as a hunter, you actually HAVE hunter-ish skills, instead of being a secret magicker who has archer as a sub-guild.

Or if you are looking for work in a GMH and know, in advance, that the boss is hoping to groom someone to learn several crafts, that you actually pick the merchant class, or at -least- pick a class that branches one kind of craft, and pick a different craft for a subguild.

Y'know. So that people who actually -need- their employees to be capable of doing specific things, won't have to pull teeth to find out if you can do those specific things or not.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

February 23, 2009, 09:18:43 PM #33 Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 09:26:19 PM by Jingo
I think both sides have an arguement. But I would have no problem asking anyone if they had a specific skillset. Lying about it is up to them. If I find out they're worthless at the assigned job, I have no problem with having a chat with them about it.

I once played a magicker once who got tossed in jail and then confessed to a minor theft. Everyone had me pegged as a thief instead of a 'gicker which was a lot of fun.

Back on topic:

I would like people to take the game world into account a bit more.

Things like putting waterskins on mounts before you enter the east gate of 'nak really don't make any sense. If they're going to search you, they'll probably look at your inix too.

Another example think would be casting near my mount. I figure leaping bolts of lightning, sudden bouts of darkness and loud whooshing noises would spook just about anything. This is something that only occured to me near the end of my last magicker's life.

Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

February 23, 2009, 11:21:25 PM #34 Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 11:23:06 PM by jhunter
...more players to be respectful of the opinions of others without resorting to insults of their intelligence (directly or subtly) and not to dive right into making disagreements personal attacks on the other -human being-.
Just because someone does not see things the same way as you do, it  does not mean they are any less intelligent than you and that you are justified in treating them as anything less than your fellow human being.

...the staff to outright ban those who are openly attacking others on the GDB, being insulting to them openly and warn those who are doing it subtly, resulting in a ban if they do not cease.

I'm really edging the point where I'm about to leave the GDB at least, if not the game completely because of a few people who have no restraint or respect for others.

...more people not to hold IC occurances against -the player- of a character because they immediately jump to the conclusion (99% of the time false) that the person is OOCly being a jerk (or a twink, or powergamer, or holding an OOC grudge) and that their character's actions are not IC.

Being a prick to other characters ICly, is fine. Being a prick to your fellow players, is not.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I'd like to encourage people to accept new players in the game more willingly.

Yes it's sometimes irritating when new players come around all 'ooc yo dude wtf is up!!', but it's really refreshing and incredibly vital that experienced players take newer players aside to teach them the general syntax and "do's and don'ts".

Mass kudos to players I've seen doing this. You deserve a hearty pat on the back. Newbies are the lifeblood of Armageddon. Embrace them lovingly before you leave their dead, bootless corpse in an alleyway. ;)

Quote from: Delstro on February 22, 2009, 05:03:15 PM
I would further like to encourage people not to over react in game. Don't be too attached to your items.

Remember: You character lives in a world where money is tight for most and some people will kill for the clothes off your back.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

I would like to encourage people to let their characters make bad decisions.  Yes, there is often a price to pay, but... more often than not it leads to something fun, unexpected and often dramatic.  If it's IC, if it's not something utterly retarded - let it happen, let the chips fall where they may and enjoy the beautiful fallout that results.

I'd like to encourage people to keep General Discussion threads about the game, and to leave OOC joke topics in the OOC forum.

If my latent gemmer got guild sniffed, it didn't affect his life all that much.  He got both an Atrium sponsorship and a cushy job as a Kadius merchant.

I'd like to encourage more people who know their place in life.
Nobles are nobles and they are your betters.
Militia can kill you on a whim.
Templars eat your soul.

You should really just not catch their attention, and play with your caste.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

What if I reworded things in an "I'd like to encourage people to..."?

I'd like to encourage people to not treat someone as a pickpocket/burglar/assassin only because you suspect they are coded guild_pickpocket/guild_burglar/guild_assassin.
;)

Quote from: rishenko on February 24, 2009, 12:36:26 AM
I would like to encourage people to let their characters make bad decisions.  Yes, there is often a price to pay, but... more often than not it leads to something fun, unexpected and often dramatic.  If it's IC, if it's not something utterly retarded - let it happen, let the chips fall where they may and enjoy the beautiful fallout that results.

This was kind of in my vein of WANTING people to steal from PCs, and for PCs to try and leave themselves open for being stolen from.

Apparently, people dislike the idea of the possibility of getting caught, because there are so many people out there who decide to just say "Okay, I'll just kill you to make myself feel better."

I could -seriously- use a thief in my pocket. Or, better, someone that CONSTANTLY makes bad decisions so that they can be punished and never learn. Fun for them? Possibly. Fun for other PCs involved? Immsenely.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I would like to encourage people to enjoy and take advantage of their surroundings. 

In the cities, you have crowded streets with hawkers and citizens milling about, selling their wares and buying others, carting supplies, resources and chasing after kids.  Hunters ride down the streets atop their mounts, templars stare defiantly over the crowd, and crafters sit on rugs and whittle away at their wood, bone, what have you.

In the wild you have winds blowing sands in sprays off the tops of dunes, massive walls of storms in the distance, the quiet skitter of a lizard through a bush or scrub.  Rocks falling off the sides of canyons with eerie timing, the gesra grass blows in ripples to a flowing breeze.

You have all of this at your disposal.  Walking down a street crowded with thronging people frustrated and trying to get to their destination with you shouldering roughly through is far more fun for me to to play with and interact through than say... e, e, e, e, e, e (the streets are empty but for three NPCs every four rooms) and growing bored because there's nobody codedly on the road to entertain you.

I'd like to encourage people to stay on topic on GDB threads.
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

I'm not very vocal on the GDB, but I'll throw my two cents out there.

I'd like to encourage players to be more on-topic on the discussion boards.

I'd like to encourage players to be more chillaxed in their attitudes towards other players.

I'd like to encourage players to STOP DISSEMINATING IC INFORMATION OOC in general.

I'd like to encourage everyone to branch out, and try new things, new clans, and new roles as Arm 1 is gonna end someday soon.

Lastly, I'd like to encourage the staff to eat more brainz. Brainz are the cornerstone of a balanced diet, after all.
Keepin' it dusty,
                     Mr.B

EvilRoeSlade: "There's something seriously wrong when I say aide and everyone hears whore."

I split the derailing part of this topic into another thread.  Please stay on topic, which means posting things you'd like to encourage, rather than picking at everyone else's things they'd like to encourage.

I'd like to encourage people to create new threads on their own when they are changing topic, instead of waiting for staff to do it for them.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

I'd like to encourage players not to talk to other players OOCly. Generally, it only leads to things that are bad for the game. In my experience, even if you want to avoid "it" like the plague, something inevitably comes along to toe the line and once you give an inch they will always want a mile.
Quote from: IntuitiveApathy on June 30, 2007, 05:39:36 AM
>necksnap amos

You try and snap the tall, muscular man's neck but fumble and snap your own!

Welcome to Armageddon!  '(mantishead)

Quote from: Conspiracy Theory on February 25, 2009, 01:13:56 PM
I'd like to encourage players not to talk to other players OOCly. Generally, it only leads to things that are bad for the game. In my experience, even if you want to avoid "it" like the plague, something inevitably comes along to toe the line and once you give an inch they will always want a mile.

Seriously. I don't know how many one-sided stories I've heard in the past, people telling me how pure evil some Staff and players are, when -I- know they are wrong because I was part of what they're telling me about and what they heard is so wrong in so many ways it's
not even funny. Each time I hear a disgruntled player telling me something they heard from someone else and I know they are wrong, because I was there, or part of it, it makes me trust the Staff over the players a lot more.

STOP LISTENING TO OOC GOSSIPS, STOP GOSSIPING AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET THE HELL OUT OF THAT AIM CHAT BLAST WHATEVER THINGIE I KEEP HEARING ABOUT LATELY.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I'd like to encourage people to cool down about the GDB and Armageddon in general.

A lot of folks seem to take the game way, waaaaaay too personally.

I think it's healthy to take a step back every so often and ask yourself if all the rage is really worth it. Kthx.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station