I'd Like To Encourage

Started by Is Friday, February 21, 2009, 02:50:09 PM

Simple thread. What would you like to encourage people to do in Arm?

I'd like to encourage people to just hate people without having any real desire to kill them most of the time.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I would like to encourage more gemmer hate. Ignoring mages != hating them. Noble Lord Fancypants won't give a crap. Lord Templar Hardnose won't give a crap. Be a prick.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

I'd like to encourage people to play more mutants!
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Drama. Get a somewhat extreme personality and stick to it, not just when it's convenient. Yeah, I suppose that encourages them to hate each other too.

Also, I'd like to see people more willing to have fun losing. I mean some people go into the game with a pre-set idea that their character is going to have high stats in everything, an awesome kick-ass character, and still RP as if their character is awesome even when he's not. I'd say use the coded flaws to add to your RP. Like if you have low agi, give your character a twitchy arm, or a gimp leg. Or if your character is muscular but has low STR, then make him a body builder type - big bulky muscles, but can't use them properly. For low wisdom, make them Forrest Gump-ish, extra stubborn, prone to berserk rage, or a lover of magick. For low endurance, maybe give them a long-running problem with alcohol or spice, or give them a heart problem.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I'd like to encourage more racism. Seriously, it's jarring to see some human talk and be friendly with a stinky elf he just met.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on February 21, 2009, 03:04:28 PM
I'd like to encourage people to play hate more mutants!
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

More awesome criminals, plz.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: Ourla on February 21, 2009, 03:49:37 PM

More criminal masterminds, that wear silks and try to be high society, but run everything in the 'rinth or UT. A good thief will steal your favorite sword, and then meet you at the bar without a second thought.

A bad thief will attack and backstab only NPCs, and never move from the 'rinth or UT until they are twinked out.

Seriously. Steal from me. I ENCOURAGE you to steal from players. You probably won't die.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

People making a much bigger deal about travel. The mentor of my first PC spent an RL week planning a trade trip from Tuluk to Luirs--it really made me feel as if the world was huge, dangerous and varied. Now I see PCs flitting between Allanak and Tuluk every RL day. And I'm not blaming anyone in particular... I do it too.  :-[

Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Quote from: Riev on February 21, 2009, 03:58:41 PM

More criminal masterminds, that wear silks and try to be high society, but run everything in the 'rinth or UT. A good thief will steal your favorite sword, and then meet you at the bar without a second thought.

A bad thief will attack and backstab only NPCs, and never move from the 'rinth or UT until they are twinked out.

Seriously. Steal from me. I ENCOURAGE you to steal from players. You probably won't die.

Riiiiiight.  Try playing a thief that does that sometime, and let me know how it turns out for you.   ::)

I'd like to encourage your average thuggish criminals to be a hell of a lot smarter, so my criminal masterminds don't end up having to take care of everything themselves, because all their newb lackeys got wtfpwned by the crime code.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I'd like to encourage some kind of virus that wiped out people's ability to use the 'contact' psionic, from a certain distance away.

I'd like to discourage players from using certain weapon combos just because you think they'll do more damage. If it's a weapon combo that people don't use IRL, especially certain awkward, clumsy combos, chances are it will suck in game too even though you have the 'coded skill' for it.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: Is Friday on February 21, 2009, 02:50:09 PM
I'd like to encourage people to just hate people without having any real desire to kill them most of the time.

Dragging out hateful relationships is fun, especially love seeing a pair of social pc's smudging eachothers reputation for a long while before letting it build to those wonderful knife in the back moments.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

More racism!  Let's see more humans treating those skinnies like the scum they are, and more elves treating roundears like the idiots they are!  Breeds, they're worthless!
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

Yes, you probably will.

I encourage more of the gemmed to hang out in the seedy merc bars. Because I think reverse psychology might work where common sense has failed.

Quote from: Niamh on February 22, 2009, 08:09:32 AM
More racism!  Let's see more humans treating those skinnies like the scum they are, and more elves treating roundears like the idiots they are!  Breeds, they're worthless!

I've had people seriously try to get my character (and others around them) killed for harmlessly insulting a non-affiliated half-breed.

WTFsauce, indeed.

I will continue gleefully treating half-elves like the pieces of shit they are, don't you worry.

More hatred that doesn't begin with brutal violence. Ending with brutal violence is fine, but when your response to someone calling you a kankfucker is to kill them...?

Less trigger-happy encounters between players. Too many times already have I seen players do the "enter room;look man;kill man" or "man enters room;cast spell man" or "man enters room;spamwalk away" schtick.

Quote from: number13 on February 22, 2009, 08:11:13 AM
I encourage more of the gemmed to hang out in the seedy merc bars. Because I think reverse psychology might work where common sense has failed.

a fella's bar of choice should be based on his gear, i think. Not all gemmers are silk coated pansies.

Quote from: Synthesis on February 22, 2009, 01:09:03 AM

Riiiiiight.  Try playing a thief that does that sometime, and let me know how it turns out for you.   ::)

I'd like to encourage your average thuggish criminals to be a hell of a lot smarter, so my criminal masterminds don't end up having to take care of everything themselves, because all their newb lackeys got wtfpwned by the crime code.

Steal from players and prepare to get hunted 90% of the time.

Or murdered on the spot. Even if you offer yourself in service/beg/plead etc.

That other 10% where you aren't marked for death makes it pretty worth it though.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

I'd like to encourage the imms.

Also.

I would further like to encourage people not to over react in game. Don't be too attached to your items.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Less spending time in your private rooms paired up or trying to find ways to get that other person to spend hours with you alone in that private room and
more time spent trying to come up with plots and ideas that would get you and others involved with more than one on one private 'roleplaying' sessions.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

More kudos. Nothing encourages someone like direct, personal feedback. ;)
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

^ Yes. A few kudos I got made the difference between quitting and staying, at one point.

I really have so many I keep meaning to write and never got around to... sigh. I should do that soon.

More realistic encounters between mundanes and magickers; don't just simply cast upon your prey, nor should the mundane just up and run away when some big badass is putting on a display of ICly unknown talent that could very well melt away the skin of your body to leave you with bones. Just because YOU, the PLAYER, knows what element a character is, how does your piddly PC know that this 'magicker' doesn't have the spell of uber flesh searing sight? Put some effort into your roleplay and maybe the encounters would go a bit more interesting.
Majikal Quote:
"I  came in a girls hair products when she was too drunk to finish blowing me... she still doesn't know. We're still friends."

Quote from: Wyx on February 22, 2009, 02:36:23 PM
Less trigger-happy encounters between players. Too many times already have I seen players do the "enter room;look man;kill man" or "man enters room;cast spell man" or "man enters room;spamwalk away" schtick.

On that note, if you meet someone unknown in the wilderness, it's great manners to do like so from an adjacent square:
> shout Halloo th' camp.  A'right to ride on up?
You hear a female voice from the south shout, in sirihish:
  "Nice an' slow-- c'mon in."

Bad a bad way to begin a raid, of course, too.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.